Restaurant Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Maybe it was the homesick want on me but I had McDonaghs cod and chips when I was back in Galway at the weekend and it was only delicious altogether. Tasted all the better too cos I could actually afford the fish this time as opposed to my former student diet of the chips/mushy peas/curry sauce/pint of milk combo from there :)

Ah McDonaghs is great .. I always try and get a fish and chips in there when in Galway ... have to say though I was over in Suffolk for a weekend a while back and I had the best fish and chips in my life. Totally outstanding ... surpassed McDonaghs by quite a bit ....

Had lunch in that new Lebanese/Palestinian cafe/restaurant in Portobello again today - it's called the Romana cafe (or Rotara cafe .. something like that ... right opposite the Gigs Place). It's really good. Hummus, falafel, moutabal .. all that malarkey. I really like it. They even have Nagrileh pipes sitting there but I assume they are just props and you're not allowed smoke them ... then again if you are not smoking tobacco through them maybe you are?? Anyway, it get's the thumbs up from me.

Maybe it was the homesick want on me but I had McDonaghs cod and chips when I was back in Galway at the weekend and it was only delicious altogether. Tasted all the better too cos I could actually afford the fish this time as opposed to my former student diet of the chips/mushy peas/curry sauce/pint of milk combo from there :)

Blah blah .. sorry

Lunch for two at the Chathem Brasserie. Blah.

I had a marinated pork chop on a bed of mustard mash with an apple fritter, all covered in a red wine type sauce. The pork chop was nice enough, but the menu didn't specify that the mash was mustard which annoyed me as I don't particularly like it. The apple fritter was a rock hard bit of apple encased in a greasy batter. The sauce was thin and bland.

My companion had the venison and apple sausages on a bed of non mustard mash, all covered in the same sauce as mine. I tired the sausages and didn't like them. He thought they were ok.

I then had possibly the worst dessert I have had in years. I ordered the vanilla cheescake on a ginger biscuit base, accompanied by rhubarb and honey. A tiny little portion of the sweetest cheesecake known to man arrived covered in rhubarb so sour I winced when I took a bite. The juice from the rhubarb has dripped all over the plate and made the base one big soggy mush. At one stage we were convinced that they had managed to pour some vinegar over the whole thing as the juice tasted so vile. And all for the lovely price of €8.

All that plus an espresso and two cokes came to €49. Service was good.

Had dinner in the Gordon Ramsay restaurant in LA last night, the one from Hells Kitchen.

Rubbish! Well, not great anyway. Menu was a lot cheaper than Dublin, but the waiter recommended we order a couple of mains courses cos the portions were so small. We didn't, as we weren't so hungry. The lobster ravioli, I had to start was pretty nice, but my lamb was poor, very dry, and the wife's scallops were barely visible on the plate.

That said, the desert, an apple terrine for two, was amazing. Shoulda just had a few of them instead of our mains.

Fine dining is becoming balls

was there tonight - fantastic lobster, chorizo, tomato, watercress and black pudding salad to start - fab fab fab

fish pie - good without being great...a bit salty...great prawns though

one of the best lemon tart's i've ever tasted to wrap the whole thing up....crispy on top, a little firmer than custard in the centre and a perfect pastry base

all accompanied by a gorgeous bottle of sauvignon blanc (not normally of fan) from new zealand, the name of which escapes me...

four people, three courses each, bottle of wine, several large bottles of water, tea and coffee for four.....€245....

would go again

don't think so, we booked around ten days in advance...it was fairly busy in there last night though so i imagine last minute bookings could be tricky

Any veggie folk here been to Chapter One?

We've a work do there soon and according to the menu on menupages.ie I'll be eating bread all night :mad:

i have to make a booking for a graduation dinner and i'm a bit stuck. we need to be sitting down around 4ish as the actual graduation bit won't be done till then, and also half the party are catching a train at 7 so it can't be much later. it's an awkward time of post-lunch, pre-dinner, so a lot of (nice) places are closed. looking for somewhere city centreish.

please help!

i have to make a booking for a graduation dinner and i'm a bit stuck. we need to be sitting down around 4ish as the actual graduation bit won't be done till then, and also half the party are catching a train at 7 so it can't be much later. it's an awkward time of post-lunch, pre-dinner, so a lot of (nice) places are closed. looking for somewhere city centreish.

please help!
Fallon & Byrne maybe. Chez Max?

Campo de Fiori in Bray

great food, atmosphere and all the staff are from florence where the food is from which adds to the authentic feel of the place.
also a good wine list and no complaints at all about the place, will definately go back

please help!

I think Tante Zoes is open all afternoon.

i think yamamori and chez max would be too exotic for my father. i can just imagine his face if i told him we were going for french food. there seems to be a sufficient amount of STEAK and MEAT on the tante zoe's menu though for it to be a possibility so i will look into that!

i think yamamori and chez max would be too exotic for my father. i can just imagine his face if i told him we were going for french food. there seems to be a sufficient amount of STEAK and MEAT on the tante zoe's menu though for it to be a possibility so i will look into that!

Cafe Brasserie 66 or whatever is is called on George's St? I know there have been horror stories about the service here but I have been there twice for late lunch/afternoon things and it has been grand. Food won't scare the horses either ... your dad will get a nice steak. And the prawns are excellent. Plenty of room for a large group as well.

Last time I was in Tante Zoe's my vegetarian other half found a big ol lump of meat in her veggie stew ..... really I would avoid this place like the plague ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back