Restaurant Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Daisy's Dukes

Its my folks wedding anniversary soon and I would like to take them out for a nice bit of grub to celebrate. I would appreciate any recommendations for the Dublin area, south side or City Centre. I'll be paying for 6 people, so I'm only looking for reasonably priced establishments!

Cheers

In the unlikely event that you can do weekday lunchtime, Roly's in Ballsbridge do a lovely three course for €20 each ('each' meaning 'each person', not 'each course').

if you go early lots o fancy places (eg jacobs ladder) do an early bird which means you could take them to an otherwise out of reach price wise place??

I just passed Cooper's on Leeson St - €24.50 for 3 course - 7 to 9.30 (I think). never been there but I think it's supposed to be nice.

Unicron said:
If you fancy Creole Food try Tante Zoe's on Crow Street. They don't serve their gumbo on a bed of rice though.

That place is shite. Don't do it!

You main problem I would say is that (maybe I am just speaking from my experience here now but ...) "parents" don't tend to go for foreign/ethnic/fancy food. They may pretend they are enjoying it but they're not. Deep down they're not. So that automatically rules out yer Thai/Creole/Indian etc. etc. So you need something kindof of traditional/Irish/maybe Italian. You can't really bring 'em for pizza either as no matter how nice (or expensive) it is it makes you seem kindof cheap. So that rules out excellent places such as Cafe Bar Deli and Gotham.

As has been said already Jacobs Ladder/Rolys type places on the early bird. Ya can't go wrong.

I would suggest the Trocadero also. Really nice place. Good early bird menu and they don't tend to hover over your table waiting to fuck you out. Great service. Nice food. Good atmosphere ....

I should add that I havent actually been to the Troc in several years so maybe its gone to hell .... but I doubt it.

i was in trocadero over christmas and the noise was incredible, as bad as a crappy club, we all had to shout to be heard.

that said, food and service was superb

chinese on moore st, that'll do
i need to go there again soon, ang ang ang ang ang

nahh, depends on the parents. Mine are fiends for the enthic, I was rared on being taken to Indian restaurants and the like.

Yum yum.

hugh said:
You main problem I would say is that (maybe I am just speaking from my experience here now but ...) "parents" don't tend to go for foreign/ethnic/fancy food.

Mmeeh, only been once and it was sufficiently not ok so I never went back. That was about 6 or 7 years ago though, and it was ridiculously over priced at the time - 19 pounds for a plate of pasta, I seem to recall.

We are going to the Cellar restaurant in the Merrion on Thursday, yay!

dudley said:
i was in trocadero over christmas and the noise was incredible, as bad as a crappy club, we all had to shout to be heard.

that said, food and service was superb

kirstie said:
nahh, depends on the parents. Mine are fiends for the enthic, I was rared on being taken to Indian restaurants and the like.

Yum yum.

Your parents are weirdos.

dudley said:

I have to check this out .....

1. I am going to tell my ma you said that and she'll fucken KILL you.

2. The chinee on Moore St is indeed VG.

hugh said:
I have to check this out .....

So what's the actual name of this Chinese gaff?

egg_ said:
I went there for my work Christmas party 2003, ate a pickled pig's ear that tasted very strongly of msg and puked it all up when I got home

To be fair there's quite a few of them on that street. Some of them got closed down some time ago too

the good one is called 'northen palace', note the missing r.
if you are walking towards lidl on moore st, its about the 2nd to last on the right hand side, upstairs above a russian delicatessen. you will know you are in the right place when you walk in and see some backwards carpet on the wall which someone has helpfully spray painted 'fuck you' on.

some of the other places on moore st are meant to be shocking, but this one has always been ok with the FSA.

the deep fried aubergines are the best thing ever
and the pork noodles, ang ang ang ang ang

just been informed that i was toscana, not trocadero over xmas, doh

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back