Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ah yes, an interesting academic indeed

The Intellectual We Deserve | Current Affairs

peterson3-768x640.jpg

kinda want to read Maps of Meaning after reading reading the above article though, it sounds fascinating. It also reminds me of Dave Sim's ramblings.

Last edited:
Well it’s taken in the context of his general comments towards women and feminism so I’d say it’s a fair interpretation of what he meant. The guy is a creep dressing up old ideas, lazy thinking, and old fashioned conservatism as some new “scientific” way of interpreting the “problem” with women and feminism.

Id disagree with some of that but I’m not about to get into an online argument in something I’m not 100% on. I totally disagree with him on some points but I think he raises potentially valid points in other arguments. That and I barely have the time to fart these days

Even if he's 100% wrong which would be difficult on the whole, he's resonating with certain people in a way that lots of other people who are probably on the better side of history are not, which effectively leads to some sort of erasure.

Well, as the article i posted above posits (read it)

Peterson is popular partly because he criticizes social justice activists in a way many people find satisfying, and some of those criticisms have merit. He is popular partly because he offers adrift young men a sense of heroic purpose, and offers angry young men rationalizations for their hatreds. And he is popular partly because academia and the left have failed spectacularly at helping make the world intelligible to ordinary people, and giving them a clear and compelling political vision... he feeds on angst and confusion. Who else has a serious alternative? Where are the other professors with accessible and compelling YouTube channels, with books of helpful advice and long Q&A sessions with the public? No wonder Peterson is so popular: he comes along and offers rules and guidance in a world of, well, chaos. Just leave it to Dad, everything will be alright.

Well, as the article i posted above posits (read it)

Peterson is popular partly because he criticizes social justice activists in a way many people find satisfying, and some of those criticisms have merit. He is popular partly because he offers adrift young men a sense of heroic purpose, and offers angry young men rationalizations for their hatreds. And he is popular partly because academia and the left have failed spectacularly at helping make the world intelligible to ordinary people, and giving them a clear and compelling political vision... he feeds on angst and confusion. Who else has a serious alternative? Where are the other professors with accessible and compelling YouTube channels, with books of helpful advice and long Q&A sessions with the public? No wonder Peterson is so popular: he comes along and offers rules and guidance in a world of, well, chaos. Just leave it to Dad, everything will be alright.
The problem is that academic findings are hard to translate to lay terms in many cases. I totally agree that there needs to be a better dialogue with the public (who pay for most of academia through tax and deserve to know what’s been done with their money). However, making a hamfisted go at explaining the nuances of evolutionary theory on complex behaviour and chasing the incel dollar is not the way to do it. The guy knows what he’a doing and he’s laughing all the way to the bank.

I really don't think he's doing it cynically. It'd be better if he was but no, he seems genuine. I mean, he's partly there because if you close their eyes and think "clever academic," someone who looks like him is what comes to mind, blame pop culture for that one. I do wonder what his old patients thought of him, there have to be some who are horrified at what he is now.

Well it’s taken in the context of his general comments towards women and feminism so I’d say it’s a fair interpretation of what he meant. The guy is a creep dressing up old ideas, lazy thinking, and old fashioned conservatism as some new “scientific” way of interpreting the “problem” with women and feminism.

and he has a stupid face

Anti-abortion group to target women during three-day ‘window’

An anti-abortion group has claimed that the government has left a “window wide open” for it and others to target women trying to access terminations in Ireland, in an attempt to convince them not to go ahead.

Family & Life is planning to use the required three-day waiting period between a woman asking for an abortion and undergoing the procedure as an opportunity to lobby against it. The tactic is part of a campaign that will include social media advertising ahead of Ireland passing a new abortion law.

Family & Life helps fund Gianna Care, an unregulated anti-abortion agency which has previously been secretly recorded making the misleading claim that all women who have an abortion regret it. David Manly, the head of Family & Life, has said it is “subjective” but that “women can be mentally affected by having an abortion”.

The government is aiming to follow the result of this year’s referendum on the Eighth Amendment by passing a law that will allow terminations for all women up to 12 weeks’ gestation, and beyond that in exceptional cases where the life and health of the woman is at risk or there has been a diagnosis of a fatal foetal abnormality.
Simon Harris, the health minister, has pledged to have legal abortion available in Ireland by January. The health committee, which is meeting tomorrow, will begin hearing from medical experts on clinical guidelines for new abortion services and the regulation of the abortion pill.
Family & Life has suggested that counselling should be required in the 72-hour waiting period, and says that the three days are an opportunity for anti-abortion activists. “What a disgrace that politicians would allow this window of opportunity to pass without one single attempt to help the mother and save the baby. These same politicians were all so caring, compassionate and concerned before the referendum,” the group said in a letter to supporters. “So through their own lack of genuine care, pro-abortion politicians have left this window wide open for us.”
The group said that it was creating an “action programme” to target women who wanted to access an abortion. At present, crisis pregnancy counselling that does not receive state funding is not subject to regulation in Ireland.
The anti-abortion agency has been seeking donations for a new campaign before terminations become legally available and performed in Ireland. It is planning to spend €7,000 on targeted social media advertising on sites such as Facebook.
The group is also planning to create a booklet, written by anti-abortion organisations, which it expects GPs to give to women in crisis pregnancies who are seeking an abortion. It is aiming to spend more than €10,000 to provide every GP in Ireland with a copy.
It was also planning to run a national advertising campaign telling women that there is “help” available through maternity leave, childcare, legal and medical aid, accommodation and information on adoption. It is to launch a website “detailing all the benefits available to women with crisis pregnancies”.
The Times asked which crisis pregnancy counselling agencies, if any, Family& Life would be including in its campaign. The anti-abortion group did not respond but has repeatedly claimed that it has a policy of not speaking to the media.
Ivana Bacik, the Labour senator, said she was concerned that women in a “vulnerable and difficult situation” might be targeted. “There has been a history of obstructionism and intimidation of women in crisis pregnancies by anti-abortion groups. My clear view is that this should be a real worry for us as legislators and something to bear in mind as we move forward to legislate for a new system to allow women to access reproductive rights,” she said.
Family and Life is one of a number of anti-abortion groups that have stepped up their campaigns since the vote to repeal the Eighth and make abortion available in Ireland. Yesterday, The Times reported that the Save the 8th campaign was planning to launch a media platform in response to the vote.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wha? I thought it was abortion-on-demand up to 12 weeks?
It is, with a controversial "cooling off" period of 72 hours.

This provision is in respect of Fatal Fetal Abnormalities.

The points raised by Lawyers for Choice are all good. I volunteer with AIMS Ireland and some of my colleagues are meeting with the HSE on Friday to discuss the draft model of care. We will be raising these concerns, and others, including the use of inclusive language.

But it is important that people write to TD's and keep the pressure on.

The "Yes" vote and successful repeal has so far made no difference to the experience of pregnant persons in Ireland, either in continuing pregnancies or seeking to terminate one, for whatever reasons.

This is really scary

This is really scary

That is awful. If people are finding out the phone numbers of people who have had abortions there is a major issue there.

100%, can't figure out how they must be getting the women's info without someone in Holles St like... makes me shudder to think about what would have happened to that poor woman had she gone.

Mad. Bit late for them to try and talk her out of it.

Its the Gards that should be calling up there

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back