• Repeal

Votes: 33 100.0%
  • Retain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
my belief is that abortion is a purely a medical procedure that doesn't need to be dealt with under law. there should be no problem legally when a fetus is aborted.

beyond that anything would be better than the current situation.

in a referendum i don't see why men should be allowed vote.
this is purely an issue that affects women of child baring age.

Well that’s one perspective. However, it’s either a democracy or it isn’t so deciding who gets to vote is not on the cards. And why shouldn’t men vote? Children aren’t generally conceived in the absence of a male so we have responsibility to support the women in our lives (and those who aren’t in our lives) by supporting them. Plus, even if men don’t make the decision on whether to pursue an abortion (and many men are involved in this choice as women see their partners as allies and not owners) doesn’t mean it is a female-only issue. Are all doctors, nurses and pharmacists women now? Social workers, counsellors, and psychologists? Employers who might need to give support and compassionate leave? Politicians and local government providing the infrastructure for a decent abortion system? This is a societal issue that has a medical issue built into it. Saying that it’s all a women’s issue is part of the problem with abortions anyway, we should all be able to discuss it openly and women shouldn’t be afraid of looking for support from men at all levels (i.e. from making such a decision to the legal framework around it).

Extending your logic, should only homosexual people have voted in the marriage referendum? It didn’t affect heterosexual marriage so why should heterosexuals vote on it? What about people who don’t ever want to be married? Democracy is for everyone or it’s for no one.

Sorry Cornu but as I said I don't agree.
we probably want a similar outcome and just disagree how we should get there ?

as far as gay marriage goes - how do the government know who is homosexual who's not ! Seriously though- yeah, I think the marriage referendum only affected LGBT people but giving someone equality DID NOT damage the rights of anyone.

and I don't even think marriage is important (I have strong dislike of 'family values' but that's just me).
but I think having access to abortion is profoundly important to the human rights of women.

Saw some of these posters around today
1523897789616.png

They are in breach of the rules on election postering as they don't have the name of the publisher and the printer on the front, an offense punishable by a stretch of up to 3 months and a fine up to 630 quid. Reported them to both the cops and the county council so I'm curious as to which one will take responsibility for dealing with it.

Also contacted the refcom for clarification on whether or not a private individual can remove an illegal poster, in case anyone fancied taking matters into their own hands.

Last edited:
I know that might seem incredibly petty but after last week with John McGuirk trying to cast aspersions on the fundraiser for togetherforyes and claiming illegal donations had been made then they can fuck themselves when it comes to getting away with not ding things by the book.

Let’s start the campaign to put Declan Ganley away for 3 months.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I know that might seem incredibly petty but after last week with John McGuirk trying to cast aspersions on the fundraiser for togetherforyes and claiming illegal donations had been made then they can fuck themselves when it comes to getting away with not ding things by the book.

one no campaign has talked about spending 1.5 million euros on the campaign, far exceeding any of the yes campaigns (togetherforyes has raised 500,000 or so).

the guardian wrote at the time of the marraige equality referendum this
guardian article

So fuss made about a donation to pro choice group.

What I am wondering, who is funding pro life groups

A google search finds
Why American Pro-Life Dollars Are Pouring Into Ireland

What about life institute?

Let’s start the campaign to put Declan Ganley away for 3 months.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What a fuckin gowl.

It pains me the aul wans harping in about the ‘poor murdered babies’.

But grown men, with no uterus, spouting righteous fuckin lies really gets my goat

I use my family home address for voting...my folks haven't received our little stack of four cards yet, we would usually have them by now. So just now I decided to check the register, for the first time in my life. And none of us is on it. I reckon it's just some mis-spelling on the register, because we always do get the cards, and there's time yet. But it's proper annoying/potentially worrying.

On a related note, it seems that there will be a massive influx of money to the No campaign especially on social media in the run-up to the referendum. (citation needed, I read it on Tara Flynn's twitter feed I think, but I ain't got time to go looking). I HATE adding to the noise about the referendum but I'd love to see something like a #suemepaddy to whitewash out all that nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back