• Repeal

Votes: 33 100.0%
  • Retain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
“The consultant adolescent psychiatrist said that there was an initial concern of self-harm and that she was very distressed to find out about the pregnancy.”

He said her mental health was difficult to ascertain on admission because both she and her mother had thought they were being transferred to Dublin for an abortion and she was very agitated when she found that she was being admitted to a mental health unit.

"agitated". No shit.

Girl sectioned after psychiatrist ruled out abortion

Yeah although they are the type of ward that deals with attempted suicides amongst other things and not to say that they are beyond criticism but the whole "you can have an abortion as long your suicidal" logic is a bit mad to begin with. Apparently she is only 14 or so I was reading.

Yet another study group concludes the 8th amendment should be repealed

LIVE: Eighth Amendment Committee votes in favour of straight repeal

same as the Citizens Assembly.

any other government ideas to kick the fucking can further down the road? Any more permutations of experts/non experts/ the public/ academics etc. we can throw together to delay decisions further? How about we get a year long study to figure out of any if the current investigations were unfairly biased and follow it up with a tribunal?

This is pretty much what Ronan Mullen, Fidelma Healey-Eames and Mattie McGrath have been saying. John Waters too, probably, if you asked him.
Well yeah, they would. Pricks. Last defence when you've lost the moral high ground.

Yet another study group concludes the 8th amendment should be repealed

LIVE: Eighth Amendment Committee votes in favour of straight repeal

same as the Citizens Assembly.

any other government ideas to kick the fucking can further down the road? Any more permutations of experts/non experts/ the public/ academics etc. we can throw together to delay decisions further? How about we get a year long study to figure out of any if the current investigations were unfairly biased and follow it up with a tribunal?

Pretty sure this is a result of the Citizens Assembly

This Oireachtas committee are acting on the advice of the Assembly

This then goes to government and they decide on a framework for a referendum
None of it binding, but no real road blocks along the way

Even fucking Simon Harris was decent and on point about this on Morning Ireland this morning
We're looking at a June referendum, but I'm presonally hoping it comes when I'm home for the Matt Johnson concert

I still can't fucking believe it though
[It's happening! gif]
I really never thought we'd get that shit out of the constitution. I'd have bet money that it was baked in for at least another generation or two.
Fair fucks to all these milllennials - particularly the ladies - no one told them it couldn't be done.
And they organised all those marches and campaigned their holes off.

We've gone from watching The Silent Scream videos in school and Ann Lovett in a churchyard, to a govt recommendation for abortion on demand. Because of a bunch of young wans!
Hallelujah.

Yeah, so that's mostly me moaning. This is a great result and it should be viewed as a victory and it's only happened due to years and years of activists campaigning.

I tend to veer towards cynicism because I'd hate to be giving anyone in the government kudos when they're the ones who have been kicking the can down the road for years but I should pause that view and see that this is indeed a great thing!

Yeah, so that's mostly me moaning. This is a great result and it should be viewed as a victory and it's only happened due to years and years of activists campaigning.

I tend to veer towards cynicism because I'd hate to be giving anyone in the government kudos when they're the ones who have been kicking the can down the road for years but I should pause and look at this in a positive view cos it's a great thing!

We still have to go through and win the actual referendum.

So we have some quality Liveline listening with holy Joe Duffy coming in 2018

If you're feeling a little too positive or optimistic about what way a referendum might go, go and have a read of the Journal and Broadsheet comments sections on this.

I've seen comments about if it takes place in June, it's THINK OF THE J1-ERS!

Do we really think that J1-ers are our swing vote?

I had a drink recently with someone who is heavily involved in the ARC campaign and she said they were worried if it was in June because of the students.

There's 7,000 visas available, which isn't a huge number really in the grand scheme. The equality referendum passed by half a million but I imagine this is going to be far tighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back