• Repeal

Votes: 33 100.0%
  • Retain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Before he leaves the country John should lead the campaign to have all traces of Christianity removed from the constitution on the basis that we turned our backs on God and to claim otherwise is an affront that cannot go unchallenged

WELLLLLLLLLLL

It's ann posts unpopular unasked for opinion time again here but

700000+ people registered a no. In the obama era he was fucking class at owning the media, liberalising american society (I'm ignoring the drone wars because we don't have a global military program) - while he was being class at this all the fundies and conservatives got so isolated and marginalised that they were sitting ready to be weaponised and ready to own the media again. People don't just evaporate after a referendum. If we spend the next few years freak pointing at these people, they will plot to overcome whatever is standing between them and their ideal society. We can't make them right or wrong, but we can chose to either isolate them, or still recognise them as part of our democracy. I'm betting 4 post likes on mullen for the next seanad, on a majority.

WELLLLLLLLLLL

It's ann posts unpopular unasked for opinion time again here but

700000+ people registered a no. In the obama era he was fucking class at owning the media, liberalising american society (I'm ignoring the drone wars because we don't have a global military program) - while he was being class at this all the fundies and conservatives got so isolated and marginalised that they were sitting ready to be weaponised and ready to own the media again. People don't just evaporate after a referendum. If we spend the next few years freak pointing at these people, they will plot to overcome whatever is standing between them and their ideal society. We can't make them right or wrong, but we can chose to either isolate them, or still recognise them as part of our democracy. I'm betting 4 post likes on mullen for the next seanad, on a majority.

Just curious, does that go both ways, cos I don't see in your post where it says it does?

Just curious, does that go both ways, cos I don't see in your post where it says it does?
Both ways like George w Bush paving a way for Obama, or Ireland paving the way for the marriage referendum by marginalizing or deny the existence of non straight Lord's, or corbyns surge in popularity post brexit, or kids taking 'up the ra' as a casual saying? Or something else? I was getting ready for lunch and wasn't being thorough.

Fair enough. Fintan O'Toole write an article to the same effect today, but it was a little one-directional.

Some of the No people have continued their nastiness beyond the referendum result. I don't feel particularly motivated to be nice to them.

There was only one age demographic that voted in favour of No. The over-65s. And that was kind of predictable. I don't think any of us are going to start being nasty to them after friday.

Pricks who post pics on instagram/twitter of their hands covered in blood, on the other hand....

The people who specifically supported the 8th Amendment are either old or mad.
The majority of No voters were over 55. Under 55's were overwhelmingly in support of repeal.

The 8th Amendment was absurd and grotesque. People across the political spectrum shared this view. Therefore the position of supporting the 8th Amendment is an eccentric position to take.

I can understand the older generation supporting it - mainly because they're brainwashed by the Catholic Church. But anyone under the age of 55 who defended the 8th Amendment is very much on the fringes and could reasonably be considered a nutcase.

I think, unfortunately, @ann post could be right on this. For example, there's a petition doing the rounds at the moment to get Ronan Mullen kicked out of the Seanad. I have, of course, because he's a complete cunt but I'm thinking now if it did actually go ahead it would, in his and his supporters eyes, make him a martyr to the cause and a victim of the liberal media who are all bullying him and won't let him speak etc.

Anyways, does anyone have that picture of John Waters that used to appear on his Irish Times articles, the one where he's resting his head on his hands. It might be good for a giggle about now.

John Waters is not taking it well Ireland: an Obituary | John Waters
This is stunning. I'm going to spend the afternoon (off work today) checking out stuff like this from the No side. It's brilliant to see Waters giving out about the positive and upbeat campaign that the Yes side ran.
Nothing more constructive to add to this, really, I had a gig on Saturday in the Grand Social, the atmosphere was brilliant in town. Steve Shannon was in the band, so Sinead Gleeson came along, and a couple of others from the campaign. It felt really good to be able to congratulate and thank them. Sinead was telling me that the part of the constituency where Ann Lovett lived and died voted pretty overwhelmingly for No...very sad.

this is the wrong thread to talk about this, kinda, but I'm not sure which one to go for.

Getting push notifications for some Jordan Peterson event now.

I'm a pretty solid demographic for that microtargetting.. *box ticking mid 30's male, white, single on social media data harvest world.

My very 'not trying too hard investigations' make it look like basically a novena mass for MRA's in Dublin.

Myself and herself were talking at length about the social dynamic at play here, we reduced it to a concept that these MRA lads are reaching out to slightly disgruntled men (which is probably our natural state anyways) and going 'cmere little buddy, what did the bad feminist lady say to you? let us caress this boo boo and make everything better and tell you how wonderful you really are inside because you are our special little superhero' and then they go back on twitter and every time the big bad women say something with 'some men' in it it will reaffirm whatever shit these MRA lads are pumping into their heads. The ad i was pushed has about 500 interactions and the tickets range from 50-100 bucks. meanwhile something in western society is feeding this incel fantasy world. Whatever about mullen, this is also a backlash.

The thing about Mullen and the senate is that there's 3 seats and there are so many people the run against him they'll all likely split the not Mullen vote and those that do support him (6 or 7 thousand, he topped the poll last time) will still all vote for him.

Best hope to get rid of him isn't to run against him, it's to give him no transfers.

The thing about Mullen and the senate is that there's 3 seats and there are so many people the run against him they'll all likely split the not Mullen vote and those that do support him (6 or 7 thousand, he topped the poll last time) will still all vote for him.

Best hope to get rid of him isn't to run against him, it's to give him no transfers.

People* (not you, or anyone here, and more specifically, just some tweets I saw) seem to be completely unaware that Alice Mary Higgins is one of the other 3 in that constituency and shes an absolute heavyweight in terms of repeal and societal equity. In my important bar meeting last Friday I came up with the theory that you actually need to run a hard right candidate to split his vote rather than centrist who'll just probably take a % off someone who's already fighting the good fight.

The thing is...
John McGuirk and Declan Ganley think this disgruntled young man thing works in Ireland.

The last two referendums, and the General Election in 2016, have shown they have no understanding about the Irish electorate.

In the 2016 GE, Renua didn't get any seats. They had a few candidates who would seem to be shoe-ins, but they were comprehensively voted out. Renua defined themselves as the right-wing, anti-choice party. They're the one most closely aligned with UKIP and the Trump wing of Republicanism. Yet people rejected them, and will continue to reject them.

Simply put, there aren't enough angry, right wing men in Ireland. They're in a small minority and no-one takes them seriously.

this is the wrong thread to talk about this, kinda, but I'm not sure which one to go for.

I'm a pretty solid demographic for that microtargetting.. *box ticking mid 30's male, white, single on social media data harvest world.

My very 'not trying too hard investigations' make it look like basically a novena mass for MRA's in Dublin.

Myself and herself were talking at length about the social dynamic at play here, we reduced it to a concept that these MRA lads are reaching out to slightly disgruntled men (which is probably our natural state anyways) and going 'cmere little buddy, what did the bad feminist lady say to you? let us caress this boo boo and make everything better and tell you how wonderful you really are inside because you are our special little superhero' and then they go back on twitter and every time the big bad women say something with 'some men' in it it will reaffirm whatever shit these MRA lads are pumping into their heads. The ad i was pushed has about 500 interactions and the tickets range from 50-100 bucks. meanwhile something in western society is feeding this incel fantasy world. Whatever about mullen, this is also a backlash.

Being honest with you, I don't think this is the wrong thread. Apparently if you look at the 8th Amendment thread on Boards for long enough, I haven't because I like myself too much, it turns into a massive MRA circle jerk. Some real whataboutery going on along the lines of "If those wimmins are opting out of parenthood, then I should have the option not to pay for the kid either". Like any of this is ever going to be an issue for those fucking losers.

The thing is...
John McGuirk and Declan Ganley think this disgruntled young man thing works in Ireland.

The last two referendums, and the General Election in 2016, have shown they have no understanding about the Irish electorate.

In the 2016 GE, Renua didn't get any seats. They had a few candidates who would seem to be shoe-ins, but they were comprehensively voted out. Renua defined themselves as the right-wing, anti-choice party. They're the one most closely aligned with UKIP and the Trump wing of Republicanism. Yet people rejected them, and will continue to reject them.

Simply put, there aren't enough angry, right wing men in Ireland. They're in a small minority and no-one takes them seriously.

I really hope you're right. They do seem to exist, but mainly on boards.ie and the comments section of the Journal. I think the great thing about Saturday's result is that it does show how much in the minority they actually are, it really restores your faith in humanity.

Here's a funny thing, all these right wing types keep pissing and moaning about how they're being silenced all the time. I was wearing my Yes badge for a little while before the election and I had a good few people coming up to me and saying that they agreed with me but were afraid to wear the badge themselves because they were afraid of what people would say. Also was chatting to a good few Yes voters down the country that were saying they were afraid to say what way they were voting to people in public because of the backlash they'd receive. I saw an awful lot of Love Both badges down Offaly way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back