Religulous - Irish release? (1 Viewer)

I don't think he's going for insight, just laughs.
It's light entertainment.
I was expecting it to be better though, I like his show.

Those trying to cure homosexuality and conmen getting rich off the gullible deserve whatever mocking they get.

but that guy was actually descended from jesus and so was obviously the second coming - how could you say he's a conman????

it looks like it was edited by an eppo

p.s fuck bill maher

I like what Bill Maher says enough to have had a quote of his as my signature below for the last number of weeks. Much as a lot of what he says makes me cheer and clap (and this movie didn't btw) he still often comes across as a smug prick. And this movie is not that good.

I think if he'd adopted a slightly softer approach he would have gotten more humour out of the situation and more information from the interviewees (i.e. like Borat, which had the same director).

That stuff about Horus and other middle eastern deities was all news to me though, and fascinating stuff.

Virgin Birth, cures the sick, brings a man called Lazarus back from the dead, dies for three days and is discovered alive by women, etc. etc...

http://www.adam.com.au/bstett/BJesusandHorus74.htm

I thought this was ok. He certainly is a bit smug at times but some of those people deserved to be laughed at. The guy he meets in Rome is hilarious.

The woman who claimed she would be riding through The Rapture on a white horse was scary.

I think if he'd adopted a slightly softer approach he would have gotten more humour out of the situation and more information from the interviewees (i.e. like Borat, which had the same director).

But isn't Borat's shtick to pull the total and absolute piss out of his subjects while pretending to be someone he's not?
You could argue that this shows even less respect than Maher, who for the most part, is on the level.

The Kashmir ringtone was deadly.

But isn't Borat's shtick to pull the total and absolute piss out of his subjects while pretending to be someone he's not?
You could argue that this shows even less respect than Maher, who for the most part, is on the level.

It's a fair point, but my criticism was more based on what you get out of it as a viewer rather than any sort of moral obligation a film maker has.

Borat is more sort of a classic jester character put out there to generate some satire, whereas Maher is actually a real guy.

The Borat Movie is centered about his fictional carachter's experiences in the real world. The Mahers movie is essentially a talking heads documentary, and as that I guess I just expected a lot more hard info about various religious beliefs and the facts that undermine them.

And for it to be funnier.

The only reason I compared them was because they're made by the same guy and his approach was so different in tone for each. The scope of Religulous was potentially a lot broader and had so much potential, but in the end Borat actually said more.

And yeah that priest was gas. Why didn't he just ask him "Why are you a priest???". He reminded me of a story a guy I know (who used to be a priest) told me about a Prior of relatively high standing in the Irish catholic church: he didn't believe in transubstantiation. How the fuck could he be in the position he was in and not believe in transubstantiation!

Sadly, I found it disappointing.

Looking forward to part two of Root of all Evil on monday on RTE2 though

That stuff about Horus and other middle eastern deities was all news to me though, and fascinating stuff.

have we not been intimately pissed together in the last 2 years?

You probably won't coz its castigated after a fashion but you should watch [video=google;-594683847743189197]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-594683847743189197&hl=en[/video]It goes into the mythic origins of the Christ story...Looooads of people slate Zeit out of hand w/out giving it a look...pity coz its very conversation provoking...plus wasn't a bad production either.

Bill Maher's sound...his stand-up 'double standard'/Jackson Molestation Vs Teenage Mugging bit is excellent...he just took a few cheap shots on this...the 'stupid' peoples belief is not the target...its the exploitation of their need to believe that should be the target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back