Reliced guitars - why? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyRaz

where the crow ate the man
Supporter
The question is in the title -
I know guitars are all about merchandising even the most minute details of the past in a near mystical quest for imperceptible differences in tone, but I’ve really never understood the whole relic thing….
What’s the thoughts of people here

A stupid fad. Same goes for "distressed/vintage" tshirts and other items of apparel.

My Dad couldn't understand why his brother gave him a beat up faded baseball cap, until it was explained to him that it's meant to look that way. He doesn't wear it, because it looks like it's fit for the bin.

But to answer the question; because they look cool. I suppose.

I think it's stupid,but they sell.
I've never seen a convincing one either. But I suppose I've never seen really expensive ones so who knows.

But I'm most baffled as to why they don't offer non relic versions for a little cheaper. And also how actual wear on a guitar from playing will have buyers low balling the fuck out of you.

whatever about buying a generic guitar and having it relic'ed (so you don't look like the new kid with the shiny new guitar, which i suppose must be the attraction), surely you'd never be able to appear in public with one of the celeb repros like the rory gallagher one. because all you'd get is 'huh, this fat bald cunt thinks he's rory gallagher, eh?'

I think those ones are for hanging on the wall though.

Im sure I told this before.
I was in that shop Beat It in black rock when they did the first run of the Rory Gallagher guitars. The lad who owns the shop asked had I seen one and ran off to get it to show me. Do I'm looking at it and it plays really nice and I hand it back saying I didn't want to drop it,he laughs and says "sure you wouldn't notice"

Good man.

i remember yer man, ben something, from crimson guitars was asked by a customer to relic a guitar. he was a bit bemused but decided to video it and stick it on his youtube channel.
just seemed funny that someone was paying a luthier good money to bash their guitar with his house keys and stanley blades. it's not like he's trained in it.

It's been a furniture thing for a long time "distressing".

I like the look of older slightly battered things. It's comforting to look at or use, steps that have wear marks, things that have been cleaned a million times, in a way it's implying that they are used often and therefore valuable.

With furniture though can tell if something has worn away over years of use compared to someone's been at it with a bag of gravel and a mallet. I think it looks silly.

There's a related Japanese (?) thing where they fix stuff in an obvious way, with the intent to show it's been fixed. Like clothes for example, you could fix your blue wooly jumper with brown wool, sew on a patch of a completely different material. This is almost half way between the two, but I like this. The wear is real.

I’m currently removing stickers from a guitar I want to sell and know that having those on would reduce the resale value by a healthy whack. However, some of the stickers are old and rare ones that go for good money in mint condition. So I’ve now postage stamp pieces of a Throbbing Gristle sticker that I could have sold online for about €20-30.

It's a load of crap. Like people buying stone washed, pre torn jeans.
There's one small ding on my Les Paul and I'm still annoyed about it.
I accidentally hit it off a door handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back