Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come (1998) (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 5 Votes
Title: The Shape of Punk to Come
Artist: Refused
Released: 1998

Tracks:
1 - Worms of the Senses / Faculties of the Skull - 7:07
2 - Liberation Frequency - 4:08
3 - The Deadly Rhythm - 3:36
4 - Summerholidays vs. Punkroutine - 4:03
5 - Bruitist Pome #5 - 1:27
6 - New Noise - 5:10
7 - The Refused Party Program - 2:40
8 - Protest Song '68 - 4:34
9 - Refused Are Fuckin Dead - 5:10
10 - The Shape of Punk to Come - 5:08
11 - Tannhäuser / Derivè - 8:09
12 - The Apollo Programme Was a Hoax - 4:16

Overview:
The Shape of Punk to Come: A Chimerical Bombination in 12 Bursts, often shortened to The Shape of Punk to Come, is the third album by Swedish hardcore punk band Refused, released in October 1998 through Burning Heart Records. The album's title is a reference to a track on The Nation of Ulysses' second album Plays Pretty for Baby, which itself was a reference and shares its title with Ornette Coleman's 1959 avant-garde jazz album The Shape of Jazz to Come.

The song title "Worms of the Senses / Faculties of the Skull" is an allusion to a line from Allen Ginsberg's long poem "Howl". Additionally, the song "Refused Are Fuckin' Dead" is a reference to the Born Against song "Born Against Are Fuckin' Dead".

Although Refused broke up only months after the album's release, The Shape of Punk to Come has since found an audience for the band and largely contributed to their posthumous fame, as well as inspiring many later artists in a wide range of genres.
Kerrang! magazine listed The Shape of Punk to Come at #13 on their 50 Most Influential Albums of All Time list in 2003.

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's worth looking at what they were doing in 1994

and in 1996

vs 1998

i used to have a tape with refused on one side and turbonegro on the other. i must have had to listen to the refused side to get back to the start of the turbonegro side but i don't remember much about it...

Im gonna listen to this although I heard it before and was not impressed

These haircuts became the International Noise Conspiracy, which is one of the few bands I've ever walked out of, as I thought they were just absurd, trying to live out some Rolling Stones/Primal Scream fantasy. I was there to see the support Rival Schools, and was redeemed by the deadly openers, the just-about-to-be-massive one-hit wonders the Hives.

not too much love for this out there, it seems. I'm not done with it yet. I was away for a couple of days and wasn't really in a position to listen to anything with anything close to my full attention.

Plus, its Stars of the Lid week. Nothing could be further from SOTL than Refused, and when all you want to listen to is SOTL......

I'm listening again this morning. Its my 4th listen so far.

I didn't take much from my first listen. As others mentioned, the voice is a bit too full on, too soon. I don't even mind it that much now, but christ, its hard going when its that in-your-face so soon.

By listen 2 my thoughts were, theres quite a bit of good stuff here, but its become an exercise in filtering it from the stuff that really isn't doing it for me. And that stuff, the stuff I don't like, it's that bad that it does its best to just drown away anything I might like.

For example, Protest Song '68 seems a bit all over the shop, Refused are Fucking Dead, likewise, but then I kinda like The Shape of Punk to Come.

I'm thinking its worth persisting with this for another while, cos I could end up really liking some of it.

But fuck me, its hard work.

Will stretch to 2/5 because thats as much as my ignorant ears thinks it deserves at this point.

Refused's home town

Last edited:
Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back