Records/Songs of '09 (1 Viewer)

that beirut fella should win an award for least amount of completed songs over a 2 disc release in 2009. There's seriously about 3 songs in total on it

March_of_the_zapotec_holland_ep.jpg

That was a big disappointment alright. Its one redeeming feature IMO was 'No Dice', which is even somewhat out of place on it.

Another huge disappointment was that Girls album. Awful garbage with about 2 (maybe 3) decent songs.

That was a big disappointment alright. Its one redeeming feature IMO was 'No Dice', which is even somewhat out of place on it.

actually I think the whole thing is pretty good. There's just very little of it

I don't like the electronic stuff on the Beirut album. It's just a bit cheesy, in a bad way.
I didn't really give it a lot of attention, but I get the impression it was just a bit of a whim to record and release. Not much effort.

right, stuff I liked this year:

albums
The Horrors - Primary Colours
Annie - Don't Stop (but really the All Night EP)
The Rakes - Klang!
Blue Ox Babes - Apples & Oranges (a re-issue except it wasn't actually issued the first time)

not albums
Marina & the Diamonds - EVERYTHING
Dolly Rockers - Gold Digger/Je suis une dolly

oh so hilariously titled awards
Generic indie shouters album of the year : Shrag - Shrag
Generic indie shouters WITH BIG RIFFS album of the year: Adventures of Loki - Adventures of Loki
Winner of the Q and Not U award for a good album but the first track is so amazing that you don't bother listening to the rest: Florence & the Machine - Lungs
Good songs, Crap sounds - La Roux
Was there a decent album hidden among this years Prince releases, Y/N ?
Y
The try harder next year award - The Pan I am
The you don't care, we don't care award - Cheryl Cole's - 3 Words

more to come as I think of them

Bat for lashes - Daniel
Was Glasvegas out this year?
MGMT will be the band that reminds me of this year and that Empire of the Sun song
Nothing too indie this year I'm afraid

What was the biggest pop song?

I'd say the biggest pop song was Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling

unfortunately

I don't like the electronic stuff on the Beirut album. It's just a bit cheesy, in a bad way.
I didn't really give it a lot of attention, but I get the impression it was just a bit of a whim to record and release. Not much effort.

Wasn't some of that record shit that Condon had done in his bedroom when he was 15/16?

Wasn't some of that record shit that Condon had done in his bedroom when he was 15/16?

Don't think so - it was the same kind of thing he did at 15/16.

I don't mean to slag him off, by the way. Throwing out stuff on a whim is a deadly thing to do. Just wasn't too fond of that particular thing.

New White Denim and new Reigning Sound, and that's about all I have as most of what I listen is way old and I need to do something about that.

Albums of this year:

DragonSlayer -- Sunset Rubdown
Fever Ray -- Fever Ray
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros -- From Below
Kurt Vile -- Childish Prodigy
Pants Yell! --Received Pronunciation

I don't know how the hell I forgot: Jay Reatard - Watch me Fall. This album makes me jump around and sing at the top of my lungs with delight. Without a doubt the best gig of the year for me too.

This is my selection:

Ambivalence Avenue - Bibio
One of the very best albums of the year. A haunting mix of acoustic and electronic (almost house) music.

Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs
French heavy rock/metal. It pretty much goes through the entire spectrum of volume - from ambient to black metal. There's a lot of tunes and interesting music on this. Really good.

Beast Rest Forth Mouth - Bear In Heaven
This is deadly. Reminds me a bit of Two Dancers in that both albums seem to take 80s pop and do something totally different with it.

Bonfires on the Heath - The Clientele
Not the best Clientele album (see Strange Geometry or Suburban Light), but after a few listens, it gets rather pleasant indeed. It's an improvement on God Save The Clientele too. Mopey, 60s inspired pop.

Dabke 2020 Folk and Pop Sounds of Syria - Omar Souleyman
Better than Highway to Hassake. This time they included a bass end. Part of the attraction of Souleyman's records is that they sound so different to everything else, and this one is consistently good.

Declaration of Dependence - Kings of Convenience
The best and least twee Kings of Convenience album, which in fairness, wouldn't be hard. While it has it's flaws (it starts to sound a bit samey after about track 5), it's an enjoyable, interesting listen.

Espers III
Dare I say it, probably not as good as Espers or Espers II, but it has quite a few nice tunes and nobody does music remotely like this.

Get Colour - Health
Really innovative stuff. Harsh, primal beats, really melodic vocals, grinding, almost MBVesque guitar. A really, really good album.

Hospice - The Antlers
Best indie/emo album of the year. Listening to it the whole way through in one sitting is really rewarding.

Life On Earth - Tiny Vipers
I'm listening to this now. Apart from one diversion into Valet type yawndom, this is a beautiful, sparse album. Jesy Fortino has a great, almost early Neil Young sounding voice. Great songs. If Jason Molina had done another great album after Didn't It Rain it might sound like this.

Luminous night - Six Organs of Admittance
I think the problem with Six Organs Of Admittance is that School of the Flower is such a landmark album - and one tends to compare everything after with it. Nevertheless, this is pretty class.

My World - Lee Fields & The Expressions
Lee Fields is a veteran of 70s soul and this album sounds like it was recorded in 1972. Ok, there's some clever hip hop touches in the percussion and some modern sensibilities, but overall, this is distinctly old school. The song Honey Dove is epic and overall it's a really enjoyable listen.

Moth/Wolfcub - Burial & Four Tet
Superior double a sided single. Most house/dubstep passes me by, but I'm glad I heard this.

No2 - JJ
Great wistful pop album which sounds to me like it's inspired by baleric house. Some really great moments such as From Africa to Malaga.

Opiate Sun (EP) - Jesu
Another overdrive drenched set of songs from Jesu. I really like Conqueror (apart from track 2) and this is more of the same. Grinding, Strawberry Hill-era Red House Painters melodic guitar music.

Embryonic (E.P.) - The Flaming Lips
3 great songs does not a double album make. The Flaming Lips did everyone a favour by releasing the three good ones on one EP. This is pretty great. Pity about the rest of the album. The song with Karen O is as bad as anything on A Priest Driven Albulance, and that's bad. Silver Trembling Hands is amazing though.

Play Safe (Compilation)
This is pretty great. A brilliant and excellently timed combination of wry humour, and geniunely beautiful incidental tv music over the backdrop of public service announcements from the 1980s aimed at errant children. (Available here: http://nlgbbbblth.blogspot.com/2009/01/nlgbbbblth-cd-0901.html)

Seek Magic - Memory Tapes (2009)
Album of the year for me. Cocteau Twins inspired, constantly inventive, unremittingly tuneful, there isn't a bum song on this album and every track has something new.

The Lives Of Lee Memorial - Lee Memorial
Nice folky stuff, a couple of extremely good standout tracks such as Mayflower. A good album, although he plays it a bit too straight in places.

Tomorrow Today - Seeland
Although obviously influenced by Neu!, it's a good deal more accessible than the German band, as it has conventional enough vocals. It improves on repeat listens and has some excellent pop songs.

Two Dancers - Wild Beasts
Excellent album. Sounds Japan/David Sylvian inspired, though more hyperactive than that. Very innovative and interesting, yet like Health and Bear In Heaven, it doesn't lose sight of melody. Basically, this is the problem I have with Bitte Ocra, Fever Ray, Merriweather Post Pavilion, the xx - when you take away the posturing and the studio messing, there's nothing special musically there.

Underslept - Systems Officer
I'm not a huge Pinback fan and this is fairly derivative of Pinback's sound and approach to music generally. Yet, for me, this works better than Pinback. It's a really good album, especially after a couple of listens.

Wavering Radiant - Isis.
I don't know what to make of Isis. Sometimes I really love their music and other times I go wft. Isis are a metal band who commit the cardinal sin of all metal bands - sometimes they sound a bit like The Cure. Some of In The Absense Of Truth could fit quite nicely on Disintegration. For me personally, this isn't a problem - I love Disintegration. Anyway, after a few listen Wavering Radiant starts to make a lot of sense. Not something you'd rush to listen to but pretty rewarding when you do.

When Sweet Sleep Returned - Assemble Head In Sunburst Sound.
This is just class. This is a classic 70s psychelic/prog album made in 2009. Extremely good fun to listen to, inventive, druggy sounding. Strangely they seem to have eq-ued the high end out making it sound even more primal and crazy. It's pretty great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back