Recommend some good prog rock (1 Viewer)

Tread carefully, the synths took over very quickly - not nice; best stuff I have is on 'The inner mounting flame'. There are always interesting moments tho. If you can download 'The dance of Maya' you'll hear how cheeky the signature 70's King Crimson heavy riff is. McLauglin's other group Shakti from around that time have some mesmerising moments - more acoustic and Indian based, super-fast group playing.
Ta for the recommendations. Now,to find it for cheap.

I recommend:
Van der Graaf Generator/Peter Hammill
Henry Cow (and associates/offshoots: the Rock in Opposition bands; Art Bears etc)
Goblin

this seems like the most sensible post so far. the first two are good if you're not after guitar and keyboard wibbling. i must check goblin out so. of course, vdgg insist that they're not prog.

Tunes from the Happy / Cow love-in

Henry Cow: 'In praise of learning' is a good starting point

Art Bears: 'Winter songs' and 'The world as it is today' are amazing, I was very underwhelmed by 'Hopes and fears'

Slapp Happy: Desperate straights (with Henry Cow) one of my all time fave records - can't really recommend anything else by them but Dagmar Krause's album of Hans Eisler songs 'Tank battles' is fantastic - a follow-up 'Supply and demand' is also meant to be very good.

Folks who like the above should check out relatively recent kicks from Thinking Plague (anything I've heard by them has been great) and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

Gong, Focus, Wizzo, Mahavishnu Orcehstra, Brian Auger's Sweet Oblivion Express - all bands that make me wanna grow a beard and hit the fields in search of pixies.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Closest thing to Irish prog Horslips?

Fruupp and Mellow Candle, more psych and folky though but they came to mind.
Van der Graaf Generator/Peter Hammill
Yes!!!

Anyway, where would a prog thread be without mention of the Hammond?? All good prog should have serious swathes of Hammond all over the place.

Colosseum

Frumpy

E.L.P.

Bodkin

etc.

Kneel at the altar of the Hammond!!!

Hmmm, have you ever heard the 1969 debut? Great.

And Time and a word.And that great Song off Tormato with the mad bendy guitar sound.And Relayer is fucking awesome.And what LP is Wurm on?

The Yes Album is absolutely rapid as well.Now that I think of it.

Does Red really count as prog though? Anytime people play me prog it always bores me or is just a bit silly to my ears but I liked that album instantly.

therefore it can't be prog

ha! I'm just wondering what you/people think actually, I don't know much prog

I wouldn't be mad into it really, I like King Crimson, Pink Floyd et all, and someone mentioned Earthless as the new breed, but I definitely wouldn't be a law on it! Maybe that's why we like that album? Too accessible? Not enough beard scratching/standing on one foot?

The second half of red is a bit noodley isnt it? Im not mad about the singing and lyrics of that period, i like the 80s crimson better. Has anyone listened to the 90s or naughties stuff? Thrak is still on my shopping list.

come to think of it, I liked Discipline immediately as well.

Maybe I just like King Crimson

Only KC album I have is In The Court Of The Crimson King which is great. How does that fit into their general thing? I must pick up Red ... been meaning to for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back