Recommend some good prog rock (1 Viewer)

quit it you two.

I'd believe Marco Pirroni before any of the whiners on here and his basic argument is that punk was about clothes, art and music in that order. Sounds good to me. I think prog might have put music first. Sounds good to me as well. the end.

Is there any modern stuff or did the punk rock lie kill prog forever????????????/
check out mammatus and earthless(but i guess earthless depends on how specific you are about whats prog and whats not).
both excellent.
also
1by1.gif

and monster killed by laser and like a kind of matador you might call modern prog.both are great.

not strictly prog.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pMYKwoinrI"]YouTube - NEKTAR:REMEMBER THE FUTURE-PART TWO(1/2)[/ame]

1 minute on is such a great tune. 'questions and answers'.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The singers facial expressions are such as I have never seen before, the whistling is the best bit

Suicide IV - The Empty Room
The Matt Berry Experience

As regards modern prog: the flame was always kept alive in metal - funny time sigs, baroque tendencies, loads of instrumental sections and emphasis on technical excellence.

Cardiacs = the greatest of them all

Gentle Giant: Stuff from around 'In a glass house' / 'Interview' / 'Free hand' have the least tweeness. Awesome band.

Jethro Tull: peaked with 'Minstrel in the Gallery' and 'Songs from the Wood'

Can only recommend 'Close to the edge' and 'Fragile' by Yes wholeheartedly.

Best King Crimson is the Fripp / Wetton / Bruford era 'Larks tongues in aspic' / 'Red' / 'Starless and bible black'
I'm also very keen on 'Discipline' with Adrian Belew.

As regards modern prog: the flame was always kept alive in metal - funny time sigs, baroque tendencies, loads of instrumental sections and emphasis on technical excellence.

there are loads of offshoots of Dream Theater that are Prog much as Liquid Tension Experiment, OSI to name a couple.

Then their bands like Porcupine Tree, Fates Warning, Pain of Salvation who are great.

I wouldn't rule out Mars Volta either - the latest album is brilliant.

These bands may not be in the "Yes" style of Prog, but they are still Prog.

Best King Crimson is the Fripp / Wetton / Bruford era 'Larks tongues in aspic' / 'Red' / 'Starless and bible black'

I always dismissed King Crimson because these were the records I wasn't hearing. I eventually heard Red and couldn't believe it was the same band. So many modern heavy bands owe entire careers to this record.

I always dismissed King Crimson because these were the records I wasn't hearing. I eventually heard Red and couldn't believe it was the same band. So many modern heavy bands owe entire careers to this record.

The blueprint for that particular heavy sound was written on the first Mahavishnu Orchestra record 'The inner mounting flame' three years before 'Larks..'

Also:

Weren't 'Sgt Peppers..', 'Piper at the gates of dawn' and 'SF Sorrow' all recorded at Abbey Road at the same time? All with Norman Smith engineering?

Conventional rock history places the Pretty Things at the bottom of that pile but 'SF Sorrow' kicks seven shades of shit out of both records - so a special shout for The Pretty Things and 'SF Sorrow' and the single 'Defecting grey' above all. Rah!

EVERYTHING Pink Floyd did from "Saucerful of Secrets" up to (and including) "The Final Cut" is pretty much essential listening, although the old "were Pink Floyd really prog" debate could scupper the recommendation of the Floyd. Their debut, "Piper at the Gates of Dawn", sure as hell isn't prog, but it's an album no home should be without. Both of the so-called Pink Fraud-era albums, "Momentary Lapse of Reason" and "Division Bell" have their proggy moments, and whilst they may not be to everyone's taste, they're still worth picking up after one has digested the other 13 or so.

Wishbone Ash's "Argus" is a classic. If it's a twin lead guitar prog assault with added swords, warriors and leafy meadows you want then this is the album for you! I saw the 30th Anniversary remastered version with some extra tracks on it in HMV for a fiver the other day.

The first batch of Hawkwind albums are pretty much essential listening.

1970 Hawkwind
1971 In Search of Space
1972 Doremi Fasol Latido
1973 Space Ritual
1974 Hall of the Mountain Grill
1975 Warrior on the Edge of Time
1976 Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music
1977 Quark, Strangeness and Charm

After that it all went a bit hit 'n' miss, but these ones all stand the test of time. The live double "Space Ritual" is the best place to start, and pound-for-pound it's probably the best Hawkwind album of the lot.

I love Yes, but an awful lot of people I've played them to have been close to committing horrific acts of violence afterwards, so tread carefully. "Close To The Edge" is a sublime album imo.

Good prog debates spring up from time to time at The Word website.
http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/search/node/prog

The blueprint for that particular heavy sound was written on the first Mahavishnu Orchestra record 'The inner mounting flame' three years before 'Larks..'

I didn't know that,I'll have to try and find a copy of that. I've never actually really heard Mahavishnu Orchestra. Are they generally all good?

I didn't know that,I'll have to try and find a copy of that. I've never actually really heard Mahavishnu Orchestra. Are they generally all good?

Tread carefully, the synths took over very quickly - not nice; best stuff I have is on 'The inner mounting flame'. There are always interesting moments tho. If you can download 'The dance of Maya' you'll hear how cheeky the signature 70's King Crimson heavy riff is. McLauglin's other group Shakti from around that time have some mesmerising moments - more acoustic and Indian based, super-fast group playing.

I'm mad into Mahavishnu.Birds of Fire.End of story.Had a brilliant Irish bass player too...Rick Laird.

If you like them you'll love Larry Coryells Eleventh House.Fucking rapid.Fairly rare though.I picked up their records in the states.

Sure while yer at it you might as well check out some Jeff Beck when he had Jan Hammer in the band.They everntually split because no one could tell the difference between the guitar and synths!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back