Recommend Plugins List (1 Viewer)

Lately for recording we (Stoat) have been using a cheapish midi kit with BFD2. I highly recommend it - it sounds way better than any set of live drums we've ever recorded, and it's so much more controllable and easier to fuckups and timing. I'm never recording live drums again

Lately for recording we (Stoat) have been using a cheapish midi kit with BFD2. I highly recommend it - it sounds way better than any set of live drums we've ever recorded, and it's so much more controllable and easier to fuckups and timing. I'm never recording live drums again

Oh really? Any chance you could mail me a brief sample? Trying to convince Joss to have a go of same for our new record, save $$$!

Compressor help please.
I like to compress the fuck out of my vocals. So far the most satisfying and simple way I've found to do this is using the Squash Compressor from Logic's Guitar Pedalboard. I set it to 100% and it sounds great during lines of vocals, it falls down at the start of lines where you get a peak and also during some sounds, eg: the C in a word like Clap.
I've fixed this with elaborate automation before but that's a pain in the arse.
Logic has a ton of other compression options but I'm not into them.
Recommendations please.

Compressor help please.
I like to compress the fuck out of my vocals. So far the most satisfying and simple way I've found to do this is using the Squash Compressor from Logic's Guitar Pedalboard. I set it to 100% and it sounds great during lines of vocals, it falls down at the start of lines where you get a peak and also during some sounds, eg: the C in a word like Clap.
I've fixed this with elaborate automation before but that's a pain in the arse.
Logic has a ton of other compression options but I'm not into them.
Recommendations please.

My reaction to this would be - compressors all do the same thing with a different interface.

What you are looking at working with is the Knee if you want quiet and loud to work slightly differently.

Which is for setting a compressor to act differently in different ranges.

this post from somewhere else describes it well:

With a Knee of 0, you can think of the Threshold as being a single point. When the input level is below this point, the compressor does nothing. As soon as the input level is at or above this point, the compressor becomes fully active. With a ratio of 4, for example, this might look like:

• signals below the Threshold are uncompressed (ratio of 1:1)
  • signals at or above the Threshold are fully compressed (ratio of 4:1)
When you set a Knee value, however, you can think of the Threshold as a range, rather than one point. For input levels below this range, the compressor does nothing. As you enter the range, the compressor will become gradually more active, until it is fully "on" at the top end of the range. Thus:

• signals far below the Threshold are uncompressed (ratio of 1:1)
  • signals a bit below the Threshold are a bit compressed (ratio of 2:1)
  • signals at or right around the Threshold are more compressed (ratio of 3:1)
  • signals far above the Threshold are fully compressed (ratio of 4:1)
Notice that as you turn up the Knee, two vertical lines move outwards from the Threshold point in the graph. This visually indicates the expanded threshold range.

with voice I often do this using two comp's one after the other, as my fave comp doesn't have a knee.

the first one bring the range down a bit (threshold -30, ratio 1.2/1)

the second one doing the compressing (theshold mmmaaaaybe -12, ratio 2/1)

My main recommendation is get used to the 3 or 4 parameters that every compressor is playing off and use one that has easy visual access to these.

You are welcome to send me a waveform example to have a look at.

Thanks. I have downloaded Fabfilter's Compressor and am finding it good with a nice ui. I understand the whole concept of knee, so that's grand. I've ended up editing the sample to eliminate some of those nasty "CL" sounds. Especially bad when you have a couple of tracks of backing vocals and they're all CLing at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back