Recommend me some Jazz (2 Viewers)

I don't know if this was posted before.. ESSENTIAL!!! Listen to it straight away

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recently picked this up. Phenomenal.
Been meaning to check out that live set too. Added it to my watch later on YouTube a few weeks back

This is class.

Youtube keeps giving me Billy Cobham

I thought I might use my tower loyalty card on a nice copy of Moanin' by the jazz messengers. They had five different editions of this album so I consulted the Steve Hoffman forums for guidance and it seems the good version is very expensive and not available in the shop anyway. Then I remembered a previous occasion when I didn't buy some Miles Davis album because they had multiple different pressings and it was just too much trouble to do the research. I bought Deciphering The Message by Makaya McCraven instead.

never knew there was a video for this

so very early 90s

Don Rendell and Ian Carr Quintet - Shades of Blue. British group. Ian Carr featured on the thread here a while ago. Picked this up over the weekend. Great album.

'Veatrice' [Written by Matana Roberts]

'Colonial Mentality' [Written by Fela Kuti]

'Wonder Twins' [Written by Chad Taylor]

Picked this cd up secondhand in Spindizzy a while back - released on thrill jockey in 2004. Sticks & Stones' Shed Grace.

Trio consisting of Josh Abrams, bass [Natural Information Society], Matana Roberts, alto sax, clarinet and Chad Taylor, percussion [various incarnations of the Chicago Underground group, and guest on a heap of Chicago post-rocky stuff]

I remember I bought a ticket to see Matana Roberts, and turned up to catch the last three minutes of her set. I've been meaning to check out some of her solo stuff properly for the longest while.

Whole album is worth a listen. Phenomenal playing, and clean recording despite sounding well, live.

I thought I might use my tower loyalty card on a nice copy of Moanin' by the jazz messengers. They had five different editions of this album so I consulted the Steve Hoffman forums for guidance and it seems the good version is very expensive and not available in the shop anyway. Then I remembered a previous occasion when I didn't buy some Miles Davis album because they had multiple different pressings and it was just too much trouble to do the research. I bought Deciphering The Message by Makaya McCraven instead.
I bought a nice 90s re-issue of this 20 years+ back - which I happened to play yesterday - from Chapters on Abbey St for £6. Worth ten times that now. Great shop that was for jazz overstock LPs!

I bought a nice 90s re-issue of this 20 years+ back - which I happened to play yesterday - from Chapters on Abbey St for £6. Worth ten times that now. Great shop that was for jazz overstock LPs!
don't wanna hijack the thread but what is chapters like these days? did they or will they reopen upstairs as a secondhand dept? Might be up in dublin in a couple of weeks, would like to have a gander in there

don't wanna hijack the thread but what is chapters like these days? did they or will they reopen upstairs as a secondhand dept? Might be up in dublin in a couple of weeks, would like to have a gander in there
I've no idea what it's like these days but there's a few jackeens on here who may even read books on occasion and can probably help you.

to get this thread back on course a bit.
Threw this on this avo. Compiled by Peter Curtin mentioned in Minor Pleasures thread earlier. Great comp from a couple of years ago

I went into Chapters a few weeks ago and it was starting to come back. They said part of the closing down/buy over saw them liquidating most of their stock so they were in the process of building back up the second hand section. I sold two suitcases of books to them so was doing my bit. Got some good stuff downstairs with the credit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back