Recommend me some Jazz (1 Viewer)

The Madosini, Elephantine and São Paulo Underground live at the Berlin Jazzfest concert from last week is viewable here on Arte tv and I think the rest the festival also

another record i've been looking for for years (aka "brown rice"). don cherry produced a lot of fire music - this one is not fire music, however. this record is beautiful, meditative music. aka spiritual jazz. absolutely wonderful stuff. seriously, check this one out

R-13641218-1558106413-9774.jpeg.jpg
Picked this up recently for twenty quid in Spindizzy... it's a beauty. And 20 for a new record these days is almost a bargain.

Anyway, here's some Oliver Lake:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Really enjoying the new Elephant9 album

This one got a remaster/reissue recently. I picked it up in a record shop at the weekend - they were playing it in the shop, and I immediately thought of classic 70's Donald Byrd (e.g. Places and Spaces). I love it:

R-917970-1464344674-1779.jpeg.jpg

When I got home I realized I had another classic Bobbi Humphrey sitting on the shelf that I hadn't really taken much notice of. On listening, I realize it's another Blue Note classic in very much the same vein:

R-756410-1464344411-7582.jpeg.jpg

On closer inspection I realized that the reason it sounds so much like those wonderful Donald Byrd records is because they were all produced by Larry Mizel - who seems to be the brains behind the sound:

R-8156700-1456190017-6915.jpeg.jpg

R-435058-1616799590-5472.jpeg.jpg

Definitely a common sound to all of the above. I love it all. Check it out. Places and Spaces also just got a reissue and it's around town right now.

I didn't really click with David Axelrod for a long time, but I have recently been getting into one of the tracks off Songs Of Innocence that I have on a compilation, and now I'm trying to pick up the three classic albums he did for Capitol. Anyway, I picked this one up yesterday and it's decent:

R-679324-1341903623-6518.jpeg.jpg

This one got a remaster/reissue recently. I picked it up in a record shop at the weekend - they were playing it in the shop, and I immediately thought of classic 70's Donald Byrd (e.g. Places and Spaces). I love it:

R-917970-1464344674-1779.jpeg.jpg

When I got home I realized I had another classic Bobbi Humphrey sitting on the shelf that I hadn't really taken much notice of. On listening, I realize it's another Blue Note classic in very much the same vein:

R-756410-1464344411-7582.jpeg.jpg

On closer inspection I realized that the reason it sounds so much like those wonderful Donald Byrd records is because they were all produced by Larry Mizel - who seems to be the brains behind the sound:

R-8156700-1456190017-6915.jpeg.jpg

R-435058-1616799590-5472.jpeg.jpg

Definitely a common sound to all of the above. I love it all. Check it out. Places and Spaces also just got a reissue and it's around town right now.

I didn't really click with David Axelrod for a long time, but I have recently been getting into one of the tracks off Songs Of Innocence that I have on a compilation, and now I'm trying to pick up the three classic albums he did for Capitol. Anyway, I picked this one up yesterday and it's decent:

R-679324-1341903623-6518.jpeg.jpg
RE.. David Axelrod ,The Electric Prunes Mass in F Minor is amazing

Also check out Harvey Madel Cristo Redentor ..its a similar vibe to Songs Of Innocence.. but better!

I've been mainly listening to CTI reissues this week... most of which would fit in with the Bobbi Humphry vibe

Which CTI reissues are those? CTI can be very cheesy, but I have a couple I like. I found this one in an antique shop in Portumna during the summer for €5. It's bossa nova, and as a result, you really have to be in the mood (well, I do anyway). It was a beautful sunny day when I picked it up and it really fit the mood. You'd nearly pick up the CTI releases for the cover art alone though

R-15210550-1588157977-2322.jpeg.jpg

These are my favourites of what I've got:

R-1288288-1416805777-7420.jpeg.jpg

R-317028-1363055870-2104.jpeg.jpg

Also Bob James (not as good as one though - and even then it's all about "Nautilus")

R-609588-1368471268-7968.jpeg.jpg

This one's OK:

R-510100-1205686213.jpeg.jpg

This one I don't like, but again, amazing cover art:

R-1138433-1195144605.jpeg.jpg

I like this Grover Washington Jr record

R-6880780-1588024777-8736.jpeg.jpg

This one not so much

R-2073041-1464510439-2785.jpeg.jpg

I used to have all those on vinyl.

I've been listening to

Milt Jackson Sunflower
George Benson Beyond The Blue Horizon
Freddie Hubbard Red Clay
Joe Farrell .. all of them
Benson and Farrell (one of my all time favourite albums0
Airto
Randy Weston Blue Moses
Hubert Laws afro Classic
Paul Desmond Pure Desmond
Bill Evans Montreaux 2

I love a great deal of CTI output. Even the smooth jazz abominations

The 4oth anniversary reissues have bonus tracks..like the 18 min version of Red Clay stuck on the end..

I love Freddie Hubbard. I need to check that one out at the very least

I find George Benson very difficult to listen to

Forgot that I have this one aswell. It's not bad

R-3558890-1554659660-9360.jpeg.jpg

Ooh I havent heard that..looks right up my alley

I LOVE George Benson ,, I also love Billy Cobham

Paths, Prints by Jan Garbarek. Should be on your streaming service of choice (not on Bandcamp, but fingers crossed).
I’ve always meant to check Garbarek out further, I have his albums with The Hilliard Ensemble and saw him perform with them at the NCH (they were amazing). Will have a search for this later.

I'm digging deep on Neil Ardley and Norma Winstone and all the rest of the early 70's brits. Incredible music

i got some blue note reissues for christmas and they're all standard greatness:

wayne shorter - the all seeing eye + speak no evil
herbie hancock - maiden voyage
mccoy tyner - expansions

can't really go wrong with blue note

i got some blue note reissues for christmas and they're all standard greatness:

wayne shorter - the all seeing eye + speak no evil
herbie hancock - maiden voyage
mccoy tyner - expansions

can't really go wrong with blue note
3 crackers

Julian Lages latest is on Blue Note. They're still doing the biz

Excellent interview with Ian Carr here in the middle of this incredible Nucleus set

I don't know if this was posted before.. ESSENTIAL!!! Listen to it straight away

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back