Recommend me Smog please (1 Viewer)

travispickle

Right. I only have one Smog album, Knock Knock, which I really like. I've wanted to check out more of his stuff for ages, but to me he's one of those artists, like Bonnyprincepalacebrotherswilloldham, who have so much stuff, it can be hard to know where to jump in.
And also I'm lazy.
So recommend away, and many thanks in advance!

Choices can include stuff released under Bill Callahan as well, btw.
:)

2699242.jpg

Red Apple Falls is great.

The Kicking a Couple Around EP is fairly essential.

If you like those, maybe afterwards try
Dongs of Sevotion then The Doctor Came at Dawn

I love the earlier stuff like Wild Love and Julius Caesar, but some people I've recommended them too found them a bit too lo-fi.

Red Apple Falls really is great. Also the new one, Dream River, is one of his best, and Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle is one of my all time top albums.

I really like The River Ain't Too Much to Love, it's sort of like his happy album. Very melodic, not as minimal. Dongs is patchy but has some great moments. The Kicking a Couple Around EP has 'I Break Horses' on it, right? Have to get my hands on that. All his stuff as Bill Callahan is pretty great as well. Don't bother with Supper.

Thanks all!
@hermie - I used to have Red Apple Falls on cassette; I only remember The Morning Paper from that lp, but I love that song.
@Maleno - I'll check Sometimes I wish.....I've heard that's good. Might also get the latest one.
@pavlos - Dongs is on the list too; have heard that's a good one.

I love Red Apple Falls, A River Ain't Too Much To Love, Dongs of Sevotion, The Doctor Came At Dawn, Wild Love. My favourite is The Doctor Came at Dawn because it has this song on it. All together now "Awwww, who needs you? Lyin' in your crummy bed"
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wild love is really good. Not completely lo-fi as one might expect from one of his early releases

"Bill had these incredibly beautiful songs, always, even if they were placed in the ugliest frames — whether it was awful instrumentation or the clumsy, really awkward energy he had at the time. But he kept going, kept doing it, and now, every record has these moments of perfection. It's like he's trying to crack the perfect song, and I've watched every single step, note by agonizing note, marveling the whole time, thinking "Oh my God, he's going to become a classic.' I wish I had that determination." Lou Barlow

Taken from a nice feature on Spin.com
http://www.spin.com/articles/bill-callahan-dream-river-interview-apocalypse-documentary/

He's engaged to film-maker Hanley Banks now, which could account for his easy contentment on recent songs

316266_10100540429711329_6991032_n-275x300.jpg

"Bill had these incredibly beautiful songs, always, even if they were placed in the ugliest frames — whether it was awful instrumentation or the clumsy, really awkward energy he had at the time. But he kept going, kept doing it, and now, every record has these moments of perfection. It's like he's trying to crack the perfect song, and I've watched every single step, note by agonizing note, marveling the whole time, thinking "Oh my God, he's going to become a classic.' I wish I had that determination." Lou Barlow

Taken from a nice feature on Spin.com
http://www.spin.com/articles/bill-callahan-dream-river-interview-apocalypse-documentary/

He's engaged to film-maker Hanley Banks now, which could account for his easy contentment on recent songs

316266_10100540429711329_6991032_n-275x300.jpg
Cool, thanks! I'm gonna check out that doc. Just listening now to his latest, Dream River. REALLY LIKE IT so far!!!! Lovely instrumentation. He is a great songwriter. I absolutely adore River Guard -

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back