Recommend me an Island (1 Viewer)

Squiggle

Born-again non-smoker
Supporter
Website
www.myspace.com
I've a friend coming over from the US next month. We'd like to take a trip to one of the offshore Islands for a couple of days.

Neither of us will be driving so it needs to be fairly easily accessable by public transport. I've been looking at the Islands off the West Coast, but I've never been to any of them and it's melting my head.

Please help.

i did arranmore, off donegal a few years ago, from a point of public transport its a nightmare.

you need to get to a town called burtonport which is near dungloe, which is theoretically served by bus eireann and lough swilly buses. you could possibly need to taxi to burtonport.

there is a hostel on the island and a few pub/restaurants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arranmore

aran islands off galway would probably be easier.

ive always wanted to go to inish boffin. cape clear is lovely, you get the ferry from baltimore and i'd imagine there must be plenty buses that go there, it might be a bit of a trek from dublin though. go to lough derg for the laugh

Good suggestions, please keep them coming. Derg's not a bad idea either.

Oh, and preferably somewhere where there is more to do at night than just drink... my friend doesn't indulge.

ive always wanted to go to inish boffin. cape clear is lovely, you get the ferry from baltimore and i'd imagine there must be plenty buses that go there, it might be a bit of a trek from dublin though. go to lough derg for the laugh
Sherkin and Cape Clear are great, it's an awful hike on public transport though.. 4 hour bus journey/2.5 hour train journey to Cork, nearly 2 hour bus journey from Cork to Skibbereen and then you might be in time for the 6 o'clock bus to Baltimore but you probably wouldn't be. Then another hour on the ferry to Cape Clear.
Spread over two days the journey would be grand. The Aran islands are way easier to get to from Dublin though.

Sherkin and Cape Clear are great, it's an awful hike on public transport though.. 4 hour bus journey/2.5 hour train journey to Cork, nearly 2 hour bus journey from Cork to Skibbereen and then you might be in time for the 6 o'clock bus to Baltimore but you probably wouldn't be. Then another hour on the ferry to Cape Clear.
Spread over two days the journey would be grand. The Aran islands are way easier to get to from Dublin though.

Yeah, it's just too much. We'd spend more time travelling than anything else.

oh no... Sherkin! I love Sherkin. I lived there for 4 months.

A quiet sunny day on Sherkin is heaven. I would take it above anywhere I've been to on the planet.

I fucking love the place. And the Islands around it too.
I am almost frightened to go back to it I like it so much, as the reality can't compare to the place at this point.

One of the saddest experiences of my life was sitting in a subway station on the way into work, in 35 degree heat watching the rats crawling about, thinking this time last year, I was on Sherkin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back