recommend me a decent wireless router (1 Viewer)

theoootini

Website
www.soundcloud.com
our five year old cheap as hell belkin router is dropping signal like a toddler drops biscuits. no rhyme or reason, and the router has to be reset everytime. driving herself to distraction.

so i'm in the market for a new router.

any tips? 100 euro enough to get a decent one? no need for a combo modem/router either i don't think. unless this is a good thing to have?

Theootini!Hold yer horses!!!

I have a belkin one..not that old..its class.PM me yer address and I'll post it to ya.

Have you tried updating the firmware on your router? I had problems with mine but an update to the latest firmware sorted it out...

Have you tried updating the firmware on your router? I had problems with mine but an update to the latest firmware sorted it out...

Yeah, check yer firmware is up to date. Are there many access points around you? Might also be interference, use Netstumbler to see what channels your neighbours are on and switch to a least used channel (also, your router will show channels from 1-13 but go for a non-overlapping channel such as 1, 5, 9 or 13.

Does the problem stop if certain devices are not connected to the router? Could be one device not properly getting an IP through DHCP and causing the router to fall over (I once had this problem with an iPhone and bad router firmware).

Yeah, check yer firmware is up to date. Are there many access points around you? Might also be interference, use Netstumbler to see what channels your neighbours are on and switch to a least used channel (also, your router will show channels from 1-13 but go for a non-overlapping channel such as 1, 5, 9 or 13.

Does the problem stop if certain devices are not connected to the router? Could be one device not properly getting an IP through DHCP and causing the router to fall over (I once had this problem with an iPhone and bad router firmware).

Yep. What he said too. Use this: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ to find out what channels your neighbours are using and if it's overlapping with yours.

Here you can see how many neighbours are using the first few channels, so switching yours higher would work wonders. Buying a new router will not be your get-out-of-jail card if channel overlapping is the issue!

MetaGeek_inSSIDer-v2.1_Screenshot.png

BY the way, go to
http://192.168.2.1
in your browser to change settings on a Belkin router. Or so google tells me. Try username: admin Password: admin if you asked. Otherwise google what the username password might be for your particular router.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back