Recently Purchased (7 Viewers)

I’m reading a biography of Sylvian’s post-Japan years and I’m listening to his albums as I go along. Some of the 80s stuff I find a bit weak, it picks up for me at Secrets of the Beehive but I only know a couple of things from after that. The one album I didn’t have that really stood out for me was the one with Czukay. It’s not really like a lot of Sylvian’s work (certainly not the stuff from that time). It’s all built up from studio improvising by Czukay so it has more of his stamp on it. I think it’s terrific, the kind of music you can sink into late at night and get lost in.

I haven’t listened to the one with Fripp yet, it wasn’t on streaming so I bought the CD. Apparently Fripp wanted Sylvian to join King Crimson as vocalist in the 90s but Sylvian didn’t want to commit. So they did an album together. Backed by the early 90s line-up of King Crimson, so not sure what to expect.
The albums with Czukay are fantastic; I really must check into his work with Fripp
Right, playing the Czukay album now. I mean, Sylvian sometimes ends up in Sting "tasteful" territory so at least it's not that.

So far they've been improvising for 5 minutes and have managed to play the first 20 seconds of Ghosts.

I listened to some of meet the residents & eskimo yesterday. I've heard bits of their stuff before.
I found it a bit of an endurance test.
Eskimo is a bit of chore if you’re not into that sort of thing. Give Meet the Residents another couple of goes, it gets in on you.

Don't know fernweh,but big fan of the other two

I think a Mott best of will do me.
I have a sweet best of for years, just looking into their other albums. Some are a bit meat & potatoes for me, but desolation struck a balance. I'm going to check out level headed as well.

I think a Mott best of will do me.
I have a sweet best of for years, just looking into their other albums. Some are a bit meat & potatoes for me, but desolation struck a balance. I'm going to check out level headed as well.

I still need the first couple of Mott records,love it all.

Sweet are such a different band away from the singles,some great heavy riffs.

Right, playing the Czukay album now. I mean, Sylvian sometimes ends up in Sting "tasteful" territory so at least it's not that.

So far they've been improvising for 5 minutes and have managed to play the first 20 seconds of Ghosts.
It gets better; my favourite is the 2nd album with Czukay; there's some really lovely stuff on that.

It gets better; my favourite is the 2nd album with Czukay; there's some really lovely stuff on that.
I'm mostly not big into this kind of stuff so don't have a lot to go on in terms of quality control but I'd probably go as far as buying this one. chillvibes.jpg

I haven’t listened to the one with Fripp yet, it wasn’t on streaming so I bought the CD. Apparently Fripp wanted Sylvian to join King Crimson as vocalist in the 90s but Sylvian didn’t want to commit. So they did an album together. Backed by the early 90s line-up of King Crimson, so not sure what to expect.
My fears about it sounding like 90s KC were well-founded but there are some great passages where it veers closer to the Fripp & Eno/Sylvian’s more ambient stuff. It’s a complete mixed bag with some amazing bits followed by awful ones, sometimes in the same song. Basically, anywhere where they are rocking out it falls down, especially when Fripp uses his horrible digital distortion. The band are technically competent but clinical and dead sounding, it could be a MIDI file for all the humanity they give. Then suddenly Fripp will unleash pure magic from his guitar and Sylvian’s vocals might carry the music much further than you could hope.

In short, the best post-74 “King Crimson” album but not up there with either Fripp or Sylvian’s best. If they left the drummer at home and went for something less rock orientated it would have been so much better. Also, the cover photo is horrendous. It’s like something from a religion book.

It was kind of like Zappa's Uncle Meat....which I like.
Well you know their back story, right? They were doing all this freak rock/performance art in the late 60s/early 70s and felt that they would be best represented by Warner Brothers because Zappa was someone they felt was on the same wavelength as them. They sent a demo to WB with a return address and no names. WB returned it, addressing it to “The Residents” as there was no name to go with the address.

(Weirdly, Zappa is someone who has hugely influence so many bands I love but I find him so hard to take. I’m one of those Hot Rats is all I need douches.)

(Weirdly, Zappa is someone who has hugely influence so many bands I love but I find him so hard to take. I’m one of those Hot Rats is all I need douches.)

I'm no Zappa expert. I have 6 to 8 albums. You definitely have to do a bit of research before buying. He put out a lot of music. I don't think there is a perfect Zappa album, just my opinion.
Apostrophe & Overnite sensation are rightly seen as good places to start....Hot Rats as well.

I'd seen an ad for it but no real info so hadn't really paid attention. A lot of stuff there I don't know and the stuff I do is great.

Can see me buying that,thanks.

It's pretty good a mix of old footage and present day interviews. I finally found the remote for the dvd so I can watch the extra stuff which is rough old concert footage interview out takes and a flyer/poster gallery. Lungfish, Rocket From The Crypt, Drive Like Jehu, The Locust etc. It gets to emo for me at the end but its good the main part is on youtube somewhere but not in full quality.

i have a good few zappa albums and the only one i really like is hot rats, and half of that is because i like beerheart so much - but the music on hot rats is pretty sweet too, i have to admit. i can't take the zaniness present in most everything else i've listened to, especially early mothers. zappa, however, did a lot more than solo and mothers music - was a producer of many, many soul and doo wop records. so, i have lots of respect and an open mind, and wouldn't be at all surprised if i found more music that i really like. there was a dutch podcast i listened to years ago called "the dorktones podcast", and the guy was a huge zappa (and lonnie donegan!) fan, and he played quite a few interesting zappa pieces (such a "punky's whips"), so there clearly is other great zappa music. like prefuse said, he put out a LOT of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back