Recently Purchased (3 Viewers)

London calling*:
Manuel Göttsching E2-E4 LP
Manuel Göttsching Inventions for Electric Guitar LP
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy Pond Scum LP
Mick Harvey Delirium Tremens LP
Drew McDowall Collapse LP
Philip Glass Satyagraha 3LP

*I didn't actually buy London Calling, The Clash are shit.

New Metallica album, Hardwired To Self Destruct, via my "lives near a record shop" bud Chis. I put it on in the car driving home from the Dublin and my initial excitement to blast the thing from CD without the youtube compression lasted for a few tunes. Then the horrible reality of that fucking snare sound sunk in and I wondered if I was listening to the isolated drum tracks (why does the poorest musician in the band get to be the loudest?) instead of the actual album.
I've given it a few more goes and I'm warming to it, those songwriting videos they post actually help.
So yea, not as bad as I first thought.
That snare is ridiculously loud. It's just stupid

more bpb frustration - why leave off 'rich wife full of happiness' from the 28.1.01 session? seems wilfully infuriating, but not surprising from a guy who thinks re-recording your last album constitutes a new album, yet includes a very limited, bonus 12" of unreleased music with the latter.

anyway, shout of you want a 160kbps mp3 of 'rich wife', for completeness' sake.

Overrated and overplayed. Occasional moments of being good swamped by huge tracts of dullness.
You're in good company, sneering at the Clash has been a full time sport for music critics /fans since about 1978. They certainly have 4 or 5 overplayed tracks though, agreed.

Last edited:
more bpb frustration - why leave off 'rich wife full of happiness' from the 28.1.01 session? seems wilfully infuriating, but not surprising from a guy who thinks re-recording your last album constitutes a new album, yet includes a very limited, bonus 12" of unreleased music with the latter.

anyway, shout of you want a 160kbps mp3 of 'rich wife', for completeness' sake.
I'll probably live without it but will see.

You're in good company, sneering at the Clash has been a full time sport for music critics /fans since about 1978.
I didn't get that memo, they're sacred cows from what I've experienced.

@chickenham had a good piece on a blog about disliking the clash while liking music made by people who like the clash. couldn't find it last time i looked. this heat landed a few blows in the out of cold storage liner notes.
I get that though, in that I'm sure a lot of music I like is by people who like The Clash. I feel the same about Hawkwind, I don't like them but think they inspired a lot of amazing music.

I didn't get that memo, they're sacred cows from what I've experienced.
The US press has been quite kind to them over the years, often buying wholesale into the marketing department's branding of them. It's helped their fame but imho worked against them long term.

Go back and read the UK press at the time though and they went very quickly from promoting them to knives out and pretty much stayed there.

NME on the Clash live in 1978:

"A joyless, emotionless, directionless, self-important music, something like a shambolic heavy metal quartet converted to Mao minutes before a show, but still retaining the original ego-pushy set, swaggers and all... The Clash don't know what to do with themselves [and] don't know what to do with rock music"

Smash Hits giving out about London Calling (single) in 1979

Pardon me for going against the party line on the subject of This Band, but they still play far too loud in the studio. Why won't Joe Strummer let us hear more than one word? Why does all the rest get lost in the echo? Until they face these elementary facts, sides like 'London Calling' will always fail to condense all that fury and grandeur into a truly great record.

Quietus giving out about London Calling (album) in 2009

The Quietus | Opinion | Black Sky Thinking | A Clash In The Pan? London Calling Reappraised

never mind the reviews Sandinista! and beyond got...

I mean, yeah they are adored by some but there's never been a shortage of people ready to bash the Clash.

Never heard anything about them closing down.

Always seems to be a lot of older people with Tower Records bags wandering around town, I will buy stuff there depending on the price. Some of it is overpriced but still cheaper than ordering online when you factor in shipping. Hard to justify €25+ on a lot of the vinyl though.

Seemed an ok crowd when I was there on tuesday though I think it was before 2 so maybe people on their lunch break.

Got the new hidden cameras album, got a real country music feel from it.

Also got Lisa hannigan and slow club's album.

The US press has been quite kind to them over the years, often buying wholesale into the marketing department's branding of them. It's helped their fame but imho worked against them long term.

Go back and read the UK press at the time though and they went very quickly from promoting them to knives out and pretty much stayed there.

NME on the Clash live in 1978:

"A joyless, emotionless, directionless, self-important music, something like a shambolic heavy metal quartet converted to Mao minutes before a show, but still retaining the original ego-pushy set, swaggers and all... The Clash don't know what to do with themselves [and] don't know what to do with rock music"

Smash Hits giving out about London Calling (single) in 1979

Pardon me for going against the party line on the subject of This Band, but they still play far too loud in the studio. Why won't Joe Strummer let us hear more than one word? Why does all the rest get lost in the echo? Until they face these elementary facts, sides like 'London Calling' will always fail to condense all that fury and grandeur into a truly great record.

Quietus giving out about London Calling (album) in 2009

The Quietus | Opinion | Black Sky Thinking | A Clash In The Pan? London Calling Reappraised

never mind the reviews Sandinista! and beyond got...

I mean, yeah they are adored by some but there's never been a shortage of people ready to bash the Clash.

I think the irish and the Brits are highly suspicious of the blatantly ambitious. The Americans have no such quams.

London calling*:
Manuel Göttsching E2-E4 LP
Manuel Göttsching Inventions for Electric Guitar LP
Mick Harvey Delirium Tremens LP
Drew McDowall Collapse LP
Philip Glass Satyagraha 3LP

*I didn't actually buy London Calling, The Clash are shit.
Also got the following:
Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso U.F.O. La Novia LP
David Tudor Microphone LP

Also got the following:

Also got the following:

Where abouts did you do your record shopping in that London? Not been over there in a long time.

Where abouts did you do your record shopping in that London? Not been over there in a long time.
In and around Berwick St. (just off Oxford St.) is Sister Ray, Reckless Records and Sounds of the Universe. Then I made a trip out to MVE in Notting Hill (unfortunately MVE on Berwick St. has closed). Was also recommended to hit up Flashback Records (think they have three branches) but didn't have time this trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back