Rebel County Rollers (Cork's first roller derby team) (1 Viewer)

Wölflinge

Website
www.vickylangan.com
rd.jpg

We've started a roller derby league in Cork, called Rebel County Rollers, and we're looking for new members.

Roller Derby is a full contact, all-female sport, played on skates, round a flat oval track. It's fast and fairly rough. You might've seen it mentioned recently around the publicity for the film 'Whip It'.
You can find out more about it from the official governing body's website - Women's Flat-Track Derby Association

Right now we're looking for:
Skaters - Over 18, female. Fitness, skating skills, and endurance can be built up during training, but you should be energetic and not afraid to take a few knocks.
Coaches - Male or female. Experience would be a bonus here - gym/athletics/exercise instructors, people with experience in contact team sports like gaelic football, hurling/camogie, rugby etc.
Referees - Male or female. Need to be willing to really get to know the sport and learn the rules. Abilty to skate and blow a whistle at the same time a definite plus.

Training will be twice a week to begin with, days and times to be decided.

We're also currently looking for a training venue - any suggestions on indoor athletics hall, school halls, basketball courts etc. in the Cork area would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to get in touch:
email: [email protected]

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rebel-County-Rollers/118498811495528?ref=mf

Thanks!
Rebel County Rollers

--
www.myspace.com/solnigerire
www.myspace.com/desamisducrime
www.myspace.com/thewickermammy

Best of Luck - I'll definally be supporting the Dublin Roller Girls when they start to play too..

One question - I've seen a few old Rollermania tapes from the 70's and some of the matches/moved defianlly looked worked. Is it like wrestling where the amateur game is for real but the televised Pro stuff is 'worked'?

I've tried to learn skating recently.

fucking disastersville.

Not that it matters since this is girls only

Yo, fangs for the reply. You might find this interesting:

http://www.derbynewsnetwork.com/roller_derby_real_or_fake

Is the action real?

Q: Is the action real? I thought roller derby was fake, kinda like pro wrestling.

The short answer: Not any more. Unlike the derby of the 70s or pro wrestling of today, modern roller derby is a completely legitimate, competitive sport.
The long answer: From its invention in the 1930s up through the 1950s and later, classic roller derby was a basically legit and very popular sport. Through the 60s and into the 70s, theatricality and predetermined outcomes became more prevalent. By its demise in 1973, classic roller derby had fully embraced the pro wrestling philosophy of spectacle over sport, and most people today retain a vague memory of the sport in that state.
When roller derby was reinvented in Austin, Texas, starting in 2001, those same recollections of the old spectacle and fakery definitely informed the derby girls' original intent. As they trained up, though, they came to discover that the best way to make a knockdown look convincing was to actually knock the other skater down, and before long they'd dropped the choreography entirely in favor of real contact with consistent and enforced rules.

You could say that the assuming of a derby name is a hangover from the performative era of the sport. My name is 'Hurt Schwitters' by the way... There is a full on federation for the sport, one we will be part of in a year and a half, we hope. There are stringent rules and procedures for the game and films like Whip It have taken a lot of artistic licences with regards to how the game is really played.

Here's the website for the WFDTA, the governing body of women's flat track roller derby.
http://wftda.com/
You'll notice an absence of beer and punches from these pages.

Here are the rules (all 35 pages of them)
WFTDA STANDARDIZED FLAT TRACK ROLLER DERBY RULES (PDF)

Here's a link to the minimum skill requirements:
Appendix A - WFTDA Minimum Skill Requirements ((This is a pdf))

So although this might all seem boring to your average thigh rubbing Joe, it's this attitude toward the sport that we all share. We don't want to fall into the 'hot bitches' side of the fence. For all of us involved, this is a sport, not a spectacle.

We're beginning training soon and ultimately, for a large portion of the group so far, we hope to be bouting in Europe and internationally in the future. It's only with sponsorship that this can be realised though.

Watch this space...

I've tried to learn skating recently.

fucking disastersville.

Not that it matters since this is girls only

i attempted roller blading once, in 1999, in new yorks central park. it was a farce. to get from the shop to the park i had to pull myself along by holding on to the wall, got stuck in traffic because i couldnt mount the slight incline from the kerb towards the middle of the road, then fell at the opposite kerb, had to endure the indignity of strangers offering to help me along and giving me advice, then took off down the hill into the park and crashed into the grass verge. the girls are welcome to this.

are there still roller discos?

Cool thanks for the answer - I knew it was legit now but was wondering about the older stuff..

Yeah, I is John the Dublin Roller Girls have been around for a bit..

there's one around blanch. Haven't been but might head up at some point and embarrass the hell out of myself.

here is a song that is quite literally about rollerskating

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yeah, I is John the Dublin Roller Girls have been around for a bit..

that doesn't solve my 'not a woman' issue. Also I didn't ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back