Rate all of their albums (1 Viewer)

the only one i have is No.1 in Heaven.
amazing record.
the best Moroder thing i've ever heard.
not for the first time LM has made me want to check out some pop music.

Hello? What else have you to be doing? I'd do the Manics but I've another 6 albums to get. (All 10s so far btw)

Iris DeMent

Infamous Angel - 7.5/10
My Life - 8.5/10
The Way I Should - 4/10
Lifetime - 7/10
Sing The Delta - 8.5/10
I listened to all of Iris's albums today so it's a good time for an update

Infamous Angel (1992) - 7.5/10
A bit earnest but very charming all the same. Let The Mystery Be, Our Town, Mama's Opry are all classics.

My Life (1993) - 8.5/10
Slight less innocent and naive sounding but still very charming.

The Way I Should (1996) - 2/10
This one is rubbish, nothing going for it. Weak songs, too slick, trying too hard.

Lifetime (2004) - 7.5/10
This is the one for me where she starts to sound more relaxed and natural. Old time religious country songs, nicely played, fuss free and chilled.

Sing The Delta (2013) - 8.5/10
Nice easy going soulful country stuff, her voice has a softer tone to it now.

The Trackless Woods (2015) - 9
Her best album yet. A load of depressive Anna Akhmatova poems set to music and beautifully arranged and recorded at home in her house. Docked a mark because there are too many songs and maybe a bit too down tempo over all.

I might go listen to their comeback stuff myself, sure fuck it, see if Jim put in any conspiracy backmasking

They did a signing in hmv on the first album when i ead working there. The genersl consensus among the lads was that they should be called the CORRRRRS!!!!!!!

Okay smart arse.... I will.
How many are there?
SEVEN.
Shit.!!!!
The Beatles

Everything before Rubber Soul - 3/10
There are a few good songs but even Ronan Collins wouldn't bother with most of them

Rubber Soul - 5/10
A step in the right direction

Everything after Rubber Soul - 6/10 to 10/10
Depends on the day/weather etc

That was easy

rubber soul is pretty much my favourite. that or revolver. in my life is my favourite beatles song. if i needed someone, girl, think for yourself. run for your life is a bit psycho, mind

I think I might re-do Prince cos he died and there's loads I left out.
I'm gonna do this this week.

With a brief review each.

Be prepared.

My friend was the engineer on that one.
If it's Greg Haver i've been listening to him on a manic street preachers podcast recently, he seems like a good guy.

Manic Street Preachers

Generation Terrorists 1992

9/10
There is magic in this album. The lyrics, riffs, vocals, length, mess, youthful dickheadishness. I want to give it a 10 but there needs to be some semblance of a rating scale.

Gold Against the Soul 1993
9/10
More great riffs and vocals. Bite of the lyrics are hidden under the production sound, but unmistakable 'early manics' (read, Richie). Maybe a little bit of dodge in there for a 9, but since i have loved it since i was 11 it gets an extra point.

The Holy Bible 1994
10/10
Masterpiece. Everything will always reference back to this.

Everything Must Go 1996
8/10
8 might be slightly harsh when considered in the context of it being released 2 years from their best friend, lyricist and talisman going missing.

This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours 1998 (First listen 2020)
8/10
Much better than I expected.

Know Your Enemy 2001
8/10
Why not. Really it feels more of a 7, but there is something compelling me to go 8. Maybe it's Miss Europa Disco Dancer.

Lipstick Traces 2003 (First listen 2020)
6/10
I knew quite a few of these already. First disc is really good. Judge Yr'self one of the best ever. Second disc of covers is a bit of a trudge.

Lifeblood 2004 (First listen 2020)
10/10
This is pure class and they don't seem to rate it at all? WTF?

Send Away the Tigers 2007 (First listen 2020)
5/10
I mean, it's fine. Extra point for being short. Point off for the Working Class Hero's cover.

Journal for Plague Lovers 2009 (First listen 2020)
10/10
Not the same 10/10 the Holy Bible gets, but still a 10/10. Simon Price summed it up well on that Do You Love Us podcast. A collaboration with a friend missing for 15 years.

Postcards from a Young Man 2010 (First listen 2020)
6/10
The 'one last attempted at mass communication' line seems to be a meme with Manics fans now. But give them credit, they went to make an album of big MOR hits and pulled it off.

Rewind the Film 2013 (First listen 2020)
7/10
Very nice indeed. Interesting use of guest vocalists. Another twist in the discography I didn't expect when starting this project. Wavering between a 6 and a 7 here, trying to remember 14 albums is difficult.

Futurology 2014 (First listen 2020)
10/10
Unbelievable record pulled out of nowhere.

Resistance Is Futile 2018 (First listen 2020)
8/10
Very surprised at how good this is. Still making me read up on artists and interesting cultural things. International Blue is boss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back