Random Photos (1 Viewer)

ISO Speed ISO-1250
X Resolution 240 dpi
Y Resolution 240 dpi
Date and Time (Original) 2010:03:22 19:30:24

Ah ha that explains a lot.

My Digital knowledge is pretty dodge but what size roughly in the real world would this image be ?

Just trying to figure out exactly what size it can be enlarged to before it starts to degrade if printed at the standard 300-360 dpi.

Did you edit the image to 240 dpi for the web or did that happen in camera ? it would be losing inches to begin with at 300 dpi, anyone any experience with this ?

I would imagine it'd go pretty damn big if it hasn't been put through a preset in light room.

Just looking at the exif for one of mine that I've had up to 20x16 with no loss of detail and the dpi are close to 4000. (Couldn't go any bigger as that the size of the printer.) From that I'd say it wasn't the camera that set that dpi on Janer's image.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moose23/3643845787/meta/

Oh and here's a random pic of some ducks from a while back.

3643985871_e07087dc89_b.jpg

I would imagine it'd go pretty damn big if it hasn't been put through a preset in light room.

Just looking at the exif for one of mine that I've had up to 20x16 with no loss of detail and the dpi are close to 4000. (Couldn't go any bigger as that the size of the printer.) From that I'd say it wasn't the camera that set that dpi on Janer's image.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moose23/3643845787/meta/

Okay, so it was edited for web then,

Okay so heres where I get lost

Image Width: 3456
Image Height: 2304

and

Focal Plane X-Resolution: 3954.23340961098 dpi
Focal Plane Y-Resolution: 3958.76288659794 dpi

Now I'm assuming you cropped this image to 356 x 2304 but what size was the image when you imported it?

because a 20 inch image printed at say 300 dpi means that the original 4000 dpi image is about 1.5 inches in size to begin with. or at least thats my understanding.

heres the logic

4000 dpi X 1.5 inches = 6000 pixels
printed at 300 DPI = 20 inches

This makes sense to me, but I might be making a mess of it again.

I fucking love ducks. If I ever have to live far from the canal again I think I'll buy a few.

and

Now I'm assuming you cropped this image to 356 x 2304 but what size was the image when you imported it?

because a 20 inch image printed at say 300 dpi means that the original 4000 dpi image is about 1.5 inches in size to begin with. or at least thats my understanding.

heres the logic

I fucking love ducks. If I ever have to live far from the canal again I think I'll buy a few.

oh god....
exploding_head.jpg

and

heres the logic

Ha they're canal ducks but I must find some pics of my dad's ducks for ya.

That the actual size of my images without cropping, it works out at 14.4 x 9.6 inches but you can go a lot bigger than that. One thing that has to be done with digital images is blur the pixels . In the likes of photoshop you'd use smart sharpen>lens blur with a radius of 1 pixel so it's just the edge of each pixel is blurred. This is something I wonder about when people say they go straight from digital camera with no processing; at some point the pixels are going to show up. I only have a half frame camera so Janer's images should be around twice the size of mine coming from the 5D.

Here's my da's ducks for ya, he's now got some cool Russian one's too. No photos of them though.

474487737_e4a5622d03.jpg

The two on the left follow the black one around like some sort of matriarchal figure due to it's size.

474487749_57a0b90983.jpg

i find it head wrecking in theory, but self evident in practise - but ive always tended to print out a lot of pics - being a luddite and all and liking the tangible.

I wrote a really long winded post about sensor size, ISO/digital Noise and the idea of "digital negatives" so to speak then safari crashed on me. You all got lucky there it was boring as fuck.

They're some lovely ducks Moose. Is the black one a goose? There was one Duck on the canal that had a definite crime fighter vibe, we named him Night Duck while extremely inibriated he slept all day and fought water based bird crime at night. By all accounts the finest most personable wild animal I have ever ...eh..."known".

Nah the black one's a duck too. I'm glad you're infallible apple crashed on ya. :p

Sorry was away most of the day and Thumped was also down for me?

I know little about DPis

As for the GPO pic the lighting of the street helped along with wide open at 2.8 and slow shutter speed and it wasn't quite as dark as it looks, ( I added the darker PP up to a point)

Then as Moosekins said I use Lightroom 3 (new Beta) and I start of with a preset and then mess around from there.

I literally got the pic in 1, I am not a patient type and couldn't be bothered with a tripod cept for the Moon although I do want to try a few portrait shots with a tripod.
I'm going to a Canon seminar tomorrow I might see how it prints, although 'cos I shot at 2.8 I will be bound to see stuff I don't like.

I had shot this a few weeks ago handheld and was impressed so thats where I got the idea from for the GPO.

Professional, my 3rd free one in a year!
CPS official Canon people do it, the %D II I own is classed as a semi pro Cam and any semi or fully pro Cam owners sign up to them.
Inbetween and after I was boozing....
My Bro and Nephew or as Cat Stevens said....Father & Son.

Oh, it's very important to have a sensor cleaned, if your not sure on urs, take a picture of a blue sky, it soon lets you know if you need it done, a dirty sensor totally ruins a picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back