random books / long books (1 Viewer)

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
has anybody any thoughts on the following?

Umberto Eco's books
The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass
Michael Moorcock's books
A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth
The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky

things like easiness to read, unputdownableness, good mileage etc. suggestions about other excellent long books also welcome

The Name of the Rose is the only real unputdownable Eco book. the rest are deadly but can be a slog. i'd put them in this order-

The Name of the Rose
Foucaults Pendulum
Baudolino
The Island of the Day Before
The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana

his articles and essays can be brilliant as well. i think he knows more about every sort of random shit than any other human...

The Brothers Karamazov is a great read.

I needed a fortnight in solitary confinement for it though. It's not really dippable.

Umberto Eco I have no time for, his books are a bit too clever, leaves me cold.
The Brothers Karamazov is a great book. It is dense, heavy going but really beautiful as well. Well worth the investment of time and effort!
A Suitable boy is a really enjoyable read and well worth getting through as well.

Are you thinking about the long months travelling ahead? Should you not be thinking about getting these instead:

http://www.thisnext.com/item/F9B78C1F/TANK-BOOKS-Tales-to-take-your

Umberto Eco I have no time for, his books are a bit too clever, leaves me cold.
The Brothers Karamazov is a great book. It is dense, heavy going but really beautiful as well. Well worth the investment of time and effort!
A Suitable boy is a really enjoyable read and well worth getting through as well.

Are you thinking about the long months travelling ahead? Should you not be thinking about getting these instead:

http://www.thisnext.com/item/F9B78C1F/TANK-BOOKS-Tales-to-take-your

they look cool, i'd probably need a microscope to read them though

shaney said:
they look cool, i'd probably need a microscope to read them though

Surely you will be bringing a MAcGyver style Swiss Army penknife complete with built in magnifying glass, reading chair and desk lamp?

Surely you will be bringing a MAcGyver style Swiss Army penknife complete with built in magnifying glass, reading chair and desk lamp?

i was planning to take apart local objects and refashion them as a chair and lamp as i went. i could probably make a magifiying glass easily enough with some glass.

has anybody any thoughts on the following?

Umberto Eco's books
The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass
Michael Moorcock's books
A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth
The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky
Well, I read The Name of the Rose and some Michael Moorcock. I don't know that any of them were that long. The Name of the Rose started out great but I got tired of it by the end.
Excellent long books:

The Count of Monte cristo
Don Quixote
Les Miserables
Crime and Punishment
Anna Karenina
I was looking at Don Quixote today, I didn't realise it was so long. Has anyone else read it? I'm thinking of scheduling it for sometime next year.

It's on my to read list. The length is putting me off at the moment given that I'm struggling to read more than about 10-20 pages a week at the moment.

With books like Don Quixote deciding to read it is one hurdle, then you have to decide which translation to choose before you can even choose an edition and buy it. The odds are definitely against me every reading it.

Have you read The Man Without Qualities by Robert Musil?

The Man Without Qualities - Wikipedia

Looks interesting, I might put it down for late next year or early 2019

I do - It's been on the shelf for quite a while (about 5 years, at least) - I'm afraid I'm with Callimachus these days, what with the seemingly ever decreasing amount of time on me hands.

Perhaps I might get to it over the Christmas. Or John Dos Passos' USA. Or any of the massive Peter Ackroyd books I have lying about the place. Where does the feckin' time go?!

The last long(ish) book I read was The Nix by Nathan Hill, which was a very easy read (and it was only 650-odd pages). I've been reading a lot of short stories lately (George Saunders, Frank O'Connor, Donald Barthelme, that kind of thing). More discipline is definitely required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back