Radiohead - In Rainbows (2007) (1 Viewer)

a bit like reading thumped:

Meredith Graves Interviews Her Dad About Radiohead

this bit

is pretty much why I stopped listening after OK Computer. I'd imagine if I hadn't got into them when was about 13 then I would have never given them the time of day by the time Kid A and beyond were coming out.

Now that everybody considers themselves superior for not liking the 90's stuff I find myself doubling down on it out of spite.

That's a good read, and the bit you quoted is interesting. I was in college when The Bends came out and that wasn't my experience at all. I guess it all changed after OK Computer.

The MOR references in that article aren't too wide of the mark, and they tally with my experience of Radiohead 'fans' in my college days. It was the same people who were listening to 'Whats the Story, Morning Glory', 'Dookie', etc. The mainstream end of the indie spectrum, if you like.

This bit,

Johns Article said:
But maybe the average Radiohead fan isn’t willing to do hard work when it comes to applying meaning to things. It’s stadium rock, in some ways.

I do agree with this but think the word 'average' is key. It reminds me of this gig I was at years back. Bell X1 in the Olympia (don't judge me). I remember getting there late and having to stand at the back and the whole experience being terrible. Anyway, there were obnoxious drunks everywhere.

At one point in the gig yer man Paul Noonan started going all bono and started singing bits from other peoples' songs. One of the lines he sang was 'Do You Realise'. One of the obnoxious drunks in front of me recognised it (yet didn't recognise any of the other 2 million songs) as Flaming Lips. This was clearly a big moment for him because he had to go around absolutely everyone within a 20 foot radius of him telling them 'THAT'S FLAMING LIPS'.

Anyway, that's 'average Radiohead/music fan' for you. Bet he loves his stadium rock and was queuing overnight outside Golden Discs for Guns'Nd'Rozes tickets t'other day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back