Radiohead and the Environment (1 Viewer)

Pedronimus

So Radiohead are appealing to everyone to cycle to the gig in Malahide Castle for the sake of the environment. But they are in the middle of this tour schedule...http://radiohead.com/tourdates/ ...with associated tour buses, flights, trucks, large sound and light systems. Looks like alot of travelling for an environmentalist.

I would hazard a guess that Jeremy Clarkson's carbon footprint is lower than Thom Yorke's. Even if you excluded all the fans travelling to the gigs (that's their own footprint).

I can't help feeling that the environment would be better off if Radiohead stayed at home, but of course they're spreading 'a message'...its like when a politician tells the public to tighten their belts yet still buys himself charvet shirts.

Discuss please.

Im always a little depressed when people try to use the inconsistencies of the messenger to deny the integrity of the message. People tried to do it to Al Gore. If they could prove that he was a hypocrite then climate change was by definition a myth.

That's not a dig at this thread by the way. It's a fair point to bring up. Not to tour would obviously be the earth friendly option.

Im always a little depressed when people try to use the inconsistencies of the messenger to deny the integrity of the message. People tried to do it to Al Gore. If they could prove that he was a hypocrite then climate change was by definition a myth.

That's not a dig at this thread by the way. It's a fair point to bring up. Not to tour would obviously be the earth friendly option.

I preferred it when you put it 'no one should ever try anything, ever'

The trucks are powered by biofuels, the lighting rigs are all some sort of energy efficient jobbies. There's other things. It's not like they're just saying "Hey fans! fuck you, cycle to our gig".

Obviously they're better off staying at home playing instruments made from the recycled of organic vegetables, but there you are. They're playing gigs, we're typing on a computer. Later we'll be drinking beer. All of this does damage. We have to figure out how to live a somewhat normal life while not raping mother earth man [/hippy]. That's the point of the thing isn't it? Well, that and some music like.

I would hazard a guess that Jeremy Clarkson's carbon footprint is lower than Thom Yorke's. Even if you excluded all the fans travelling to the gigs (that's their own footprint).
I have the idea that fans travelling to gigs is the biggest factor in touring carbon emissions. Don't know where I got it though

... and why are you attributing all the carbon footprint to poor oul Tom? There must be hundreds of people employed in Radiohead's tour crew - if they weren't working for Radiohead they might well be touring with some less eco-friendly act, or working in less eco-friendly jobs

There must be hundreds of people employed in Radiohead's tour crew - if they weren't working for Radiohead they might well be touring with some less eco-friendly act, or working in less eco-friendly jobs

Yeah, leave then alone! If they wern't touring with Radiohead they might be beating their wives.

it'd be nice to be able to keep this thread open, but I guess thats unlikely.

What does really interest me is the bike park. Seeing as there are other gigs on there this year, Neil Young for example, will this bike park be staying? I'd be on for cycling over. Would beat the shit outta driving and trying to get out of a car park after. Not exactly a safe road back into town, but I'd risk it.

anyone know? Or is it just for Radiohead?

I have the idea that fans travelling to gigs is the biggest factor in touring carbon emissions. Don't know where I got it though
I'd say it is the biggest factor. What I was saying is that if you take into consideration all his (or any of the radiohead's) own personal energy use and discount what the fans use its still probably higher than Jeremy Clarkson.

jeremy fucking clarkson? really? what's this about? i'd say the dali lama's cabon footprint is bigger than halle berry's. lets lynch the fucker.

So Radiohead are appealing to everyone to cycle to the gig in Malahide Castle for the sake of the environment. But they are in the middle of this tour schedule...http://radiohead.com/tourdates/ ...with associated tour buses, flights, trucks, large sound and light systems. Looks like alot of travelling for an environmentalist.

I can't help feeling that the environment would be better off if Radiohead stayed at home, but of course they're spreading 'a message'...its like when a politician tells the public to tighten their belts yet still buys himself charvet shirts.

Discuss please.

I'm with petethedrummer on this one. Do radiohead really think that everyone who is going to the gig lives within cycling distance? Why don't we all cycle to Glastonbury?

why don't radiohead power all their instruments with bicycle dynamos?

home-biker.jpg

Ah yeah, but surely the message here is to make what changes you can to make things better. I always think that this is a really lazy argument.

Just because you can't afford to get your car serviced every 5000 miles does that mean you should pour sugar in the tank? Of course not.

Just because you smoke should you give up on anything resembling a sensible diet and a healthy lifestyle?
Of course not.

Just because you are on a world tour should you give up on efforts to reduce carbon emissions?
Of course not.

So, yeah, of course it would be preferable for them to stay at home growing trees but given that they are not how can they minimise their impact?

For all the mixed messages and misinformed rockstars on display at Live Earth at least its number 1 job was to focus attention on the environment. Radiohead are embarking on a tour that I imagine will add to their bank balance or either directly through ticket/tshirt sales or through promotion of the album.

They have enough money, why don't they make a statement that they can't tour anymore due to environmental reasons.

(I'm just thinking out loud folks, i'm not 100% sure what my position is).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back