Radiohead and the Environment (1 Viewer)

For all the mixed messages and misinformed rockstars on display at Live Earth at least its number 1 job was to focus attention on the environment. Radiohead are embarking on a tour that I imagine will add to their bank balance or either directly through ticket/tshirt sales or through promotion of the album.

They have enough money, why don't they make a statement that they can't tour anymore due to environmental reasons.

(I'm just thinking out loud folks, i'm not 100% sure what my position is).

Because they are a band and this is what bands do. A solution to climate change is not for us all to become seaweed farmers but to make sensible decisions about how we affect the environment.

well I'd doubt money is their sole motivation for touring, they are musicians I would presume they still get a massive buzz out of performing live to a crowd...now announcing they will only play small venues thus cutting down on size of entourage/vans/lighting equipment/fans travelling to venue in their gas guzzlers...that may be a viable compromise.

Because they are a band and this is what bands do. A solution to climate change is not for us all to become seaweed farmers but to make sensible decisions about how we affect the environment.

That's not a good enough argument - "We're oil refiners - this is what we do". Either they make the changes or else accept that they're in no position to lecture anybody.

classic thumped debate this.

here's a sad fish after radiohead drove over his fin with a hummer.
fish_sad.bmp

That's not a good enough argument - "We're oil refiners - this is what we do". Either they make the changes or else accept that they're in no position to lecture anybody.

Well, we can't move over to solar power tomorrow so we will need oil to be refined for some time. But how much do we need, how is it done, how does the process affect the environment, what are the alternatives, how can we downscale these activities...the exact same logic can be applied to the oil industry as being applied to Radiohead here.

They have enough money, why don't they make a statement that they can't tour anymore due to environmental reasons.
I don't think it's as simple as that. If you took RH and all their tour crew, and figured out an annual at-work carbon footprint for each individual, I wonder how it'd compare to other people's jobs. More than mine (computer programmer), most likely, but more than my truck-driver uncle? I wonder. Presumably RH and all their employees would be working at something else were they not on tour, so it's kinda hard to say whether or not less carbon would be emitted if they stayed at home

And why don't they play their gig in the middle of town so people all over Dublin can get one bus rather than two? Answer that one, Michael York.

The solution for radiohead is easy: if you don't want to damage the environment further, stop doing tours. We'll need oil for the forseeable future, but we don't need radiohead tours. Personally, I don't care whether they tour or not, i just think they should accept that they are polluters and that they've no moral superiority just because they have a few Ben and Jerry stands at the mega concerts.

It would be fine if they weren't lecturing others on the environment.

Look at Geldof, whatever your personal opinion of him might be (mine is that he annoys the crap out of me) noone can deny that the work he has done in raising awareness of and money for the plight of people in underdeveloped countries, particularly Ethiopia, is commendable. Does it suddenly become less commendable just because he doesn't wear hair shirts and live in a shanty? It's about balance...Radiohead have taken steps to try and decrease their carbon footprint while on tour...their actions don't make the message any less important or worth listening to.

It makes them hypocrites - I'm not asking for puritanism, but I would expect people who lecture me on the enviromnet to refrain from belching carbon into the atmosphere.

PS: you can't compare Bob geldof's work for the poor with radiohead touring their new record.

It makes them hypocrites - I'm not asking for puritanism, but I would expect people who lecture me on the enviromnet to refrain from belching carbon into the atmosphere.

PS: you can't compare Bob geldof's work for the poor with radiohead touring their new record.

Well, that and what Egg said below are the problem I think. There is a tendency to break this into a moral problem (polluters = bad, non-polluters = good) which I don't think helps anyone. A real approach to a problem should be practical:
Proposal: world is heating up due to man-made activities
Solution: following changes need to be made...

Turning it into a moral debate sets most peoples' teeth on edge (mine anyway I know). Particularly when it is sancimonious fucks like Bono doing the preaching...

Radiohead's music was way more carbon neutral in the early days. The Bends emits very little carbon, but the emissions take a noticeable hike from Kid A on, reaching a Dickensian peak of nightmarish blackness with Hail to the Thief.

A real approach to a problem should be practical:
Proposal: world is heating up due to man-made activities
Solution: following changes need to be made...

Good point. Here's my suggested changes.

Mega-bands stop touring. Radiohead, in particular.

I was talking to this dude I know a while ago who does sound for Def Leppard. He was telling me about the logistics of their operation - it's like moving a fucking army. Do the right thing bands. Just stop. We'll all be better off for numerous reasons only some of which have anything to do with the environment.

well, if all you cunts stop going to gigs, bands will stop doing them. then we can ban all art and go watch f1 instead.

Good point. Here's my suggested changes.

Mega-bands stop touring. Radiohead, in particular.

I was talking to this dude I know a while ago who does sound for Def Leppard. He was telling me about the logistics of their operation - it's like moving a fucking army. Do the right thing bands. Just stop. We'll all be better off for numerous reasons only some of which have anything to do with the environment.

Well, what do you do and how do you make sure that your carbon emissions are as low as possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back