Racism in Ireland (3 Viewers)

. Would have been laughed out of school at the mere suggestion of playing rugby. But took it up in my 20s after a band broke up and found myself at a loose end. Absolutely love it. All shapes and sizes, all walks of life. Of course there are quite a few D4 teams but not so many posh boys outside of them.

I didn't go to a rugby school or grow up around it & I've never played it. but I've become a fan over the years. Purely as a spectator. It's kicks the shit out of soccer.

How do the nordies feel about living down south?

About once a month some idiot makes some bombs/guns/ra joke when you are in the bar drinking a pint. This is followed by a mildly defensive 'i was only having a laugh' interjection/lighten up man type mid section. If you respond in any way that isn't joking it reinforces the stereotype they were hoping for, if you perpetuate the joke then you become the problem. Usually then followed by some mealy-mouthed border concerns / brexit talk / half remembered politics.

Other than that I'm actually from the south and have a Donegal accent.

About once a month some idiot makes some bombs/guns/ra joke when you are in the bar drinking a pint. This is followed by a mildly defensive 'i was only having a laugh' interjection/lighten up man type mid section. If you respond in any way that isn't joking it reinforces the stereotype they were hoping for, if you perpetuate the joke then you become the problem. Usually then followed by some mealy-mouthed border concerns / brexit talk / half remembered politics.

Other than that I'm actually from the south and have a Donegal accent.
Donegal is not "Nordie" though. As anyone from Northern Ireland will make sure to tell you. It's only the free staters that can't tell the difference.

This is followed by a mildly defensive 'i was only having a laugh' interjection/lighten up man type mid section. If you respond in any way that isn't joking it reinforces the stereotype they were hoping for, if you perpetuate the joke then you become the problem.
The upside is none of this actually matters, right? It's only a mild annoyance at worst

What I hate most about this shit is the obviousness of the joke. If your "humour" is based entirely on repeating stale shit you heard off someone else, then I suggest you just fucking give up trying to be funny

The upside is none of this actually matters, right? It's only a mild annoyance at worst

What I hate most about this shit is the obviousness of the joke. If your "humour" is based entirely on repeating stale shit you heard off someone else, then I suggest you just fucking give up trying to be funny

YEah I mostly answering the question. Also, tbh, the bar being the temple of lost inhibitions and all that I once in while take great pleasure in making a holy show of the person till they end up in the position they hoped to put me in. Problematic ann post.

Being from North Dublin (and Tallaght) is just a race to the bottom in the game of who came from the hardest estate.

When I think of Ulster Unionists, what comes to mind is bitter, angry, arrogant, incredibly argumentative, pompous etc.... All negative things. Have I been conditioned by a lifetime of biased media coverage?

When I think of Ulster Unionists, what comes to mind is bitter, angry, arrogant, incredibly argumentative, pompous etc.... All negative things. Have I been conditioned by a lifetime of biased media coverage?

if you're talking TV coverage then your primary exposure to them would probably be from BBC NI and UTV (since they woulldn't show up as much on free state TV shows?), neither of which I would have thought would be biased agin them...

Last edited:
What's your beef with Soundings? Far better than the shite they teach them nowadays

thought i explained that in my post ?
my school year was last to study Gus Martin's books.
no idea what the kids have to suffer today.

stories set in horrible pre-war or even pre independence setting w/ nuns etc.
made me feel like when pensioners have told me older folks know best and
that Greta Thunberg is too young to have opinions.

Pat Ingoldsby has the right idea - he's signed a document saying he never
wants his work used in school tests (see link below)

Pat Ingoldsby - Wikipedia

The only time media amplified NI news in our generation was when someone was marching or something blew up. I know a fair few unionists who'd give anyone a run for thier money on kindness. I guess it's probably like the Irish in New York who only see Dublin fleetingly on Patrick's day on TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back