Racism in Ireland (1 Viewer)

prefuse

Threads
I'm a Dub but don't see my self as a "proper Dub" because my parents aren't from Dublin.

prefuse

Threads
. Would have been laughed out of school at the mere suggestion of playing rugby. But took it up in my 20s after a band broke up and found myself at a loose end. Absolutely love it. All shapes and sizes, all walks of life. Of course there are quite a few D4 teams but not so many posh boys outside of them.
I didn't go to a rugby school or grow up around it & I've never played it. but I've become a fan over the years. Purely as a spectator. It's kicks the shit out of soccer.

ann post

Threads
How do the nordies feel about living down south?
About once a month some idiot makes some bombs/guns/ra joke when you are in the bar drinking a pint. This is followed by a mildly defensive 'i was only having a laugh' interjection/lighten up man type mid section. If you respond in any way that isn't joking it reinforces the stereotype they were hoping for, if you perpetuate the joke then you become the problem. Usually then followed by some mealy-mouthed border concerns / brexit talk / half remembered politics.

Other than that I'm actually from the south and have a Donegal accent.

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
About once a month some idiot makes some bombs/guns/ra joke when you are in the bar drinking a pint. This is followed by a mildly defensive 'i was only having a laugh' interjection/lighten up man type mid section. If you respond in any way that isn't joking it reinforces the stereotype they were hoping for, if you perpetuate the joke then you become the problem. Usually then followed by some mealy-mouthed border concerns / brexit talk / half remembered politics.

Other than that I'm actually from the south and have a Donegal accent.
Donegal is not "Nordie" though. As anyone from Northern Ireland will make sure to tell you. It's only the free staters that can't tell the difference.

egg_

Staff member
Supporter
Since 1999
Threads
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
This is followed by a mildly defensive 'i was only having a laugh' interjection/lighten up man type mid section. If you respond in any way that isn't joking it reinforces the stereotype they were hoping for, if you perpetuate the joke then you become the problem.
The upside is none of this actually matters, right? It's only a mild annoyance at worst

What I hate most about this shit is the obviousness of the joke. If your "humour" is based entirely on repeating stale shit you heard off someone else, then I suggest you just fucking give up trying to be funny

ann post

Threads
The upside is none of this actually matters, right? It's only a mild annoyance at worst

What I hate most about this shit is the obviousness of the joke. If your "humour" is based entirely on repeating stale shit you heard off someone else, then I suggest you just fucking give up trying to be funny
YEah I mostly answering the question. Also, tbh, the bar being the temple of lost inhibitions and all that I once in while take great pleasure in making a holy show of the person till they end up in the position they hoped to put me in. Problematic ann post.

prefuse

Threads
When I think of Ulster Unionists, what comes to mind is bitter, angry, arrogant, incredibly argumentative, pompous etc.... All negative things. Have I been conditioned by a lifetime of biased media coverage?

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Threads
Website
thumped.com
When I think of Ulster Unionists, what comes to mind is bitter, angry, arrogant, incredibly argumentative, pompous etc.... All negative things. Have I been conditioned by a lifetime of biased media coverage?
if you're talking TV coverage then your primary exposure to them would probably be from BBC NI and UTV (since they woulldn't show up as much on free state TV shows?), neither of which I would have thought would be biased agin them...

Last edited:

nuke terrorist

Supporter
Threads
What's your beef with Soundings? Far better than the shite they teach them nowadays
thought i explained that in my post ?
my school year was last to study Gus Martin's books.
no idea what the kids have to suffer today.

stories set in horrible pre-war or even pre independence setting w/ nuns etc.
made me feel like when pensioners have told me older folks know best and
that Greta Thunberg is too young to have opinions.

Pat Ingoldsby has the right idea - he's signed a document saying he never
wants his work used in school tests (see link below)

Pat Ingoldsby - Wikipedia

ann post

Threads
The only time media amplified NI news in our generation was when someone was marching or something blew up. I know a fair few unionists who'd give anyone a run for thier money on kindness. I guess it's probably like the Irish in New York who only see Dublin fleetingly on Patrick's day on TV.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Previous thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

We're listening to...

• Christmas: The Collection (50 of the Greatest Original Xmas Hits)
    2000 Miles - 2009 Remaster
    Pretenders
    Christmas: The Collection (50 of the Greatest Original Xmas Hits)
  • I Can Walk Through
    Seacat
    The Dinah Brand
    I Can Walk Through
  • The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
    Memorial
    Explosions In The Sky
    The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads