Racism in Ireland (1 Viewer)

That's a fairly devastating response to racism though. As soon as people hear racist stuff everyone just rallies around and handles them with vaguely patronizing kid gloves.

Clearly mentally unwell. I hope he finds the peace he needs.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's a fairly devastating response to racism though. As soon as people hear racist stuff everyone just rallies around and handles them with vaguely patronizing kid gloves.

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU RACIST PRICK!

Shush shush shhhhhh.... shush. SHUSH. Mate! leave it. Leave him. Poor lad. I wonder if he's lost. Ask him if he's lost.
ARE YOU LOST?
to be fair, i suspect (on the assumption that in the above situation the perp *was* being a racist prick and fully compos mentis) treating him as if he's unwell will do more to dissuade him from pulling the same shit again, than simply shouting 'you're a racist' at him. patronise the shit out of the fucker.

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU RACIST PRICK!

Shush shush shhhhhh.... shush. SHUSH. Mate! leave it. Leave him. Poor lad. I wonder if he's lost. Ask him if he's lost.
ARE YOU LOST?

I'm not saying his behaviour's not shitty. It's fucking appalling. But I genuinely think this guy may have a learning disability. Racism is fucking horrendous and should be called out but partaking in an internet shaming campaign of someone with an intellectual disability isn't totally sound either.
I could be totally wrong here and this guy might not have anything of the sort but we're judging this situation based on a 27 second clip.

Honestly anyone who is that out and out racist has some problems, whether they be mental or... i dunno, financial. It should be called out for sure but everyone online trying to find out who he is and get him fired, FFS. As if losing his livelihood would cure his racism.

treating him as if he's unwell will do more to dissuade him from pulling the same shit again
As if losing his livelihood would cure his racism.
+1 to this attitude. The question is how to effectively stop people a) doing this shit and b) thinking this shit. Smiting them or getting them fired is likely to be counter-productive

Lads, it’s great that you’re against using racist terms (especially when hurled at people) but can we lay off loaded terms like “mentaller” and “retard” while we’re at it?

+1

Just a tangent to that is 'retard' was actually a medical term for a long time but because people used it as a perjorative the language had to be changed in the medical world. This has actually happened a few times over the years around these terms. The words have so much pre-loading. If I outright just tell people i'm disabled, am on the books as having disability you can see straight away who uses the term as an off the books perjorative and who doesnt.

The term “retarded” is still used in the US by clinicians, which muddies the waters a bit but it’s a definite nope on this side of the water. My skin crawls whenever I see/read it.

I wouldn't be inclined to use the word "retard" or any iteration thereof. Although, if I have done at any time, sorry.

I did say "mentallers" though. I think that's a little different. In context, I've worked in psychiatric hospitals, and mental health issues have popped up on this site quite often. It's a kind of gallows humour, and we're all in these gallows together. However I understand that's not for everyone. Sorry.

i often call myself a mentaler but only use the term if it's inclusive of myself.
don't aim terms at other people and you're OK.

have often heard and read people (nearly always Americans) say dumb and lame.
which seems oddly accepted.

calling someone a retard isn't acceptable to me BUT it's OK to use retard/ed
to describe things.
e.g. i wasn't much into music until i was 16 and that retarded my personal development.

That guy comes across as someone who's not well and just shouts at people, had a guy recently roaring at me for no reason while standing at a bus stop and that video comes across very much the same. The video I saw earlier on Twitter however, of a woman being pushed into a river by some little bastards was out and out racism and thuggery. Those little fuckers deserve a good kicking.

There's a video going round twitter of a racist getting lamped on the london underground. It's a beautiful punch.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Makes me think of this documentary. Only takes one.

One Killer Punch (TV Movie 2016) - IMDb

I witnessed an incident recently on Jervis street where some old crazy Jakey racially abused this teenager as he was walking past and the kid swung around on his heel and punched the man in the head and he just fell straight backwards and whacked his head off the pavement. I ran over and was sure the man was dead, blood pouring out of his mouth, nose and the back of his head. Some guys from a drug centre came along and gave him first aid and rang 999, I gave my details to one of them for the cops as I had a hospital scan but never heard anything about it.

Those canal lads still deserve a kicking though, but in the legs and arse and a few slaps around the chops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back