Quotes from your parents (1 Viewer)

Had dinner with my folks (70's) last night.

Dad: "I read about some man who had a baby this morning."

Mum: "What do you mean a man had a baby?"

Short conversation ensues, in which I didn't utter a single word, about how a transman (not a word they used) can still have kids depending on what type of transitioning (not a word they used) he's gone through. At all points both of them stuck rigidly to using "he" as a pronoun. I doubt that would have happened prior to the 2015 referendum.

My dad being sensitive as ever in his weekly text update:

"Here listen, your uncles cat bit the dust. 16. Too old for a cat but sure sinead (cousin) is upset. Doing a 40k this weekend so dont come visit. Tog go bog e".

Celebrating my 50th birthday with my family, my Ma (76) got drunker than I ever saw her and told this story ...

My parents met in their early 20s through another couple, Des (flatmate of Da's) and Mary (schoolmate of Ma's). Des had a sore hip, and Mary's ma was a "bonesetter" so came to the men's flat to see him. "Seeing him" involved Des getting pulled-and-dragged-at in the bedroom, and then being slathered with red ointment, while Ma and Mary sat in the other room listening to him moan in pain

When the ordeal was over my ma, making conversation, asked Mary's ma what was in the ointment. One of the ingredients mentioned was "dragon's blood"

Ma went home to the flat she shared with some of her siblings, and related the story to them. "Dragon's blood??" said her brother ... "and that", says she, "was when I found out that dragons don't exist"

Last edited:
Not a quote as such but to paraphrase my mother.

"Even though I only got a new hip last Wednesday and my sister, a nurse came up from Cork to help look after me I am going take a lot of risks and not ask for help if it minorly inconveniences anyone else, even though all of you are here to be inconvenienced by me and all of you are really worried about me because the anesthetic completely sent me crackers for a number of days and left me in a thankfully now fading state of not being competent to look after myself.."

We've put her and her sister in the spare room my sister's kids stay in when they visit specifically because she can get help in the night if needed and she got herself up to go to the loo 3 times unaided because she didn't want to wake my aunt. We only found out when she woke her up coming back the third time.

Not a quote as such but to paraphrase my mother.

"Even though I only got a new hip last Wednesday and my sister, a nurse came up from Cork to help look after me I am going take a lot of risks and not ask for help if it minorly inconveniences anyone else, even though all of you are here to be inconvenienced by me and all of you are really worried about me because the anesthetic completely sent me crackers for a number of days and left me in a thankfully now fading state of not being competent to look after myself.."

We've put her and her sister in the spare room my sister's kids stay in when they visit specifically because she can get help in the night if needed and she got herself up to go to the loo 3 times unaided because she didn't want to wake my aunt. We only found out when she woke her up coming back the third time.

Related to this ...

"How do I know if the washing machine is too full?"

He's actually pretty good, he does an awful lot of the cooking, he cleans, but in 52 years of marriage this is a task he doesn't seem to have done.

Related to this ...

"How do I know if the washing machine is too full?"

He's actually pretty good, he does an awful lot of the cooking, he cleans, but in 52 years of marriage this is a task he doesn't seem to have done.
I avoid the washing machine if at all possible. Too much margin for error in what constitutes “whites”, “blacks”, or “colours”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back