Pulp - Different Class (1995) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 44
  • Views 5K
  • Watchers 1

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 6 Votes
Title: Different Class
Artist: Pulp
Released: 1995

Tracks:
1 - Mis-Shapes - 3:46
2 - Pencil Skirt - 3:11
3 - Common People - 5:51
4 - I Spy - 5:55
5 - Disco 2000 - 4:33
6 - Live Bed Show - 3:29
7 - Something Changed - 3:18
8 - Sorted for E's & Wizz - 3:47
9 - F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E - 6:01
10 - Underwear - 4:06
11 - Monday Morning - 4:18
12 - Bar Italia - 3:43

Overview:
Different Class is the fifth studio album by English Britpop band Pulp. It was released in 1995 at the height of Britpop, and led to the band being regarded as part of that movement. Two of the singles on the album - "Common People" (which reached number two in the UK singles chart) and "Disco 2000" (which reached number seven) - were especially notable, and helped propel Pulp to nationwide fame. A "deluxe edition" of Different Class was released on 11 September 2006. It contains a second disc of B-sides, demos and rarities.
The album was the winner of the 1996 Mercury Music Prize. In 1998 Q readers voted Different Class the 37th greatest album of all time; a repeat poll in 2006 put it at number 85.[citation needed] In 2000 the same magazine placed it at number 46 in its list of the 100 Greatest British Albums Ever.[citation needed] In 2004 it was voted number 70 of Channel 4's 100 greatest albums. It has sold 1,255,000 copies in the United Kingdom as of September 2011.
The inspiration for the title came to frontman Jarvis Cocker in Smashing, a nightclub on Regent Street in London. Cocker had a friend who used the phrase "different class" to describe something that was "in a class of its own". Cocker liked the double meaning, with its allusions to the British social class system which was a theme of some of the songs on the album.[citation needed] A message on the back of record also references this idea:
"We don't want no trouble, we just want the right to be different. That's all."

These mid 90s albums make me feel sad now.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also, as much as "Common People" and "Disco 2000" were played to death, I don't think I could ever get sick of them. The bit in "Common People" where he sings "She just smiled and held my hand!" and the laser sound goes off at the same time is just magic. The treated violin in the background is terrific too. I get goosebumps listening to it.

And Nick Cave has done two covers of "Disco 2000", one of which was a b-side to Pulp's "Bad Cover Version" single (from We Love Life in 2002) and the other was included in the deluxe remastered version of this album. Personally I prefer the really sad version from "Bad Cover Version" but both are worth listening to.

Also, for years I refused to listen to any other Pulp album because this one was so perfect, I was afraid I'd sully it if I didn't like their other albums. I still have only dipped into the rest of their back catalogue.

Also, as much as "Common People" and "Disco 2000" were played to death, I don't think I could ever get sick of them. The bit in "Common People" where he sings "She just smiled and held my hand!" and the laser sound goes off at the same time is just magic. The treated violin in the background is terrific too. I get goosebumps listening to it.

And Nick Cave has done two covers of "Disco 2000", one of which was a b-side to Pulp's "Bad Cover Version" single (from We Love Life in 2002) and the other was included in the deluxe remastered version of this album. Personally I prefer the really sad version from "Bad Cover Version" but both are worth listening to.

Also, for years I refused to listen to any other Pulp album because this one was so perfect, I was afraid I'd sully it if I didn't like their other albums. I still have only dipped into the rest of their back catalogue.

I was the same, I loved Different Class and didn't really check anything else out; I keep meaning to get This is Hardcore, which I've heard only good things about.

Ah lads, this record hits me right in the feels. It was any sophisticated 14 year old's choice for favourite album in 1996 (unless you preferred Radiohead). I remember making a pact in the Gaeltacht to meet up in the year 2000 (Narrator: They did not, in fact, meet up in 2000, having long since forgotten each other's names.)

I am going to give it a full listen through and report back post haste.

How disappointing when I started going to clubs and they weren't like this at all

giphy.gif

I spotted the LP of this yesterday; I might buy it. Did anyone see Pulp in the SFX on that Different Class tour?

got a few spins in during the week

know it well

Also revisited a few tracks from the album before it.Like cocker is a bit of a wizard for sure, and the band are just wonderfully on-it at this stage. That they became the biggest thing 5 albums into Pulp around the start of their 30s. This isn't the kind of thing that you could do today I suspect. Anyways - Its so well played, so well realized. what i thought about a lot was Cocker's muse. The record, set sorta in the awkward teens exploring the inner psyche of embarrassment and confusion tearing out into the all unifying disco 2000 - he had this awkward muse going in the previous album too and I wonder how long you can sell that to your own band without writing a few absolute bangers to keep them on board. Like Jarvis I'm 29 can we not talk about you fingering someone for the next tour? Candida Doyle was a few months from leaving when all this went down apparently.

Anyways the timeline is interesting. The album doesn't seem to be finished when common people is released, and Jarvis is writing on the fly a lot, Glastonbury goes great by accident -s o he's well aware that its now or never, compresses his entire vibe into a load of really refined songs and has a huge record 15 years into Pulp, and writes the anthem for the millenium. kinda fascinating time for pulp and music and so.

Great album 4.7/5

- 0.3 for the teen awkwards.

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back