Public versus Private Sector (1 Viewer)

i realise there are job losses in the public sector but is it the case that most of the thousands of people who have lost jobs over the last year have been in the private sector? i'd say most of the hit taken in the private sector is job losses rather than pay and hours cuts (as has been pointed out before i dont know what im talking about).

why should people in the private sector take cuts if the company they are working for is still profitable?

it is going round in circles but i think people do have legitimate reasons to be slightly pissed at the public sectors outrage and actions (which effect everyone) over pay cuts. no one likes pay reductions but the economy is fucked so you have to put up with it and get on with things.

why should people in the private sector take cuts if the company they are working for is still profitable?

By an extension of that logic, the public sector should be completely insulated from the recession since it was actually the banks / developers / builders axis of evil that caused the problem. If the country needs money, why shouldn't everyone pay more tax instead of targetting one sector? We're all in this together, aren't we?

my company have had massive redundancies and pay cuts but is still a profitable company and the cuts were basically to meet the profit targets. cuts in the public sector are due to the government being the exact opposite of profitable. i know you can't treat the public sector as a company, but as a body that makes money and pays people, which situation above strikes you as being more fair?

By an extension of that logic, the public sector should be completely insulated from the recession since it was actually the banks / developers / builders axis of evil that caused the problem. If the country needs money, why shouldn't everyone pay more tax instead of targetting one sector? We're all in this together, aren't we?

i agree with taxing everyone more (even my minimum wage), but i have heard people say they would take a pay cut but private sector workers should have to take one too which seems silly to me as it just means emplyers get to pay less (which will be the next thing i suppose).

Look, the question you need to ask is why were negotiations which would have led to an agreed reduction of billions in the public sector pay bill scuppered in preference to a distinctly un-agreed reduction in pay.

We're all screwed.

If the country needs money, why shouldn't everyone pay more tax instead of targetting one sector? We're all in this together, aren't we?

brian lenihan:

WHY WE CANNOT TAX OUR WAY OUT OF THIS

Others have argued for increases in taxes as a means of stabilising the deficit. But those who demand higher taxes fail to recognise what I have already done.
The tax increases contained in my last two Budgets have placed the heaviest burden on those best able to pay. For example,

• a single person earning €25,000 now pays €500 more in tax and levies than in 2008.
  • a single person on €100,000 pays around €5,500 more, or eleven times more than the person on €25,000.
  • At €250,000 the additional taxes and levies amount to nearly €17,000 or thirty three times the contribution of the person on €25,000.
The progressivity of the recent changes is beyond doubt. But we have reached the limit. We will not create jobs by increasing the penalty on work and investment.

brian lenihan:

WHY WE CANNOT TAX OUR WAY OUT OF THIS

Firstly, the Economic and Social Research Institute produced stark new figures on tax relief for private pensions. It showed that €8 out of every €10 goes to the top 20 per cent of earners. It also showed that giving this relief at the standard rate of tax (which is to say, making it available on an equal basis to all taxpayers) would raise revenue of €1 billion a year – significantly more than the savings made by cutting social welfare payments. More than four-fifths of this money would have come from the richest 20 per cent.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/1215/1224260710702.html

It's already in place on a voluntary basis in the public sector and the sky hasn't fallen. It's also a common enough practice in the private sector.

It was never going to get the money that was needed. The €4 billion or whatever the number is.
It was temporary, i.e. it was all going to be as-you-were next year. That's not good enough for the crisis we're in, and wouldn't have satisfied the people we're borrowing money off to pay for everything.
It was unworkable in reality. As soon as it was implemented the unions would be getting exemptions for Gards, nurses, whatever, it would fall apart and you'd end up on the finger-pointing merry-go-round again.

I personally thought it was a nuts suggestion from the unions, based on the fact that they were declaring that the public sector could get by with less hours. Less hours isn't a long journey to less people.

All that said, I was expecting to get hit again in this budget and I actually made a few bob if you count the booze levy cut.
I thought he'd spread the pain a bit more.

That's a bit of a mad thing to say.

That wasn't directed at anyone person, more the public sector and unions in general. It seems to me that they are playing the victim card when the fact is we are all victims and we all need to do our part.

Look, the question you need to ask is why were negotiations which would have led to an agreed reduction of billions in the public sector pay bill scuppered in preference to a distinctly un-agreed reduction in pay.

We're all screwed.

The negotiations that would have saved billions, what were they, the unpaid leave? I thought that wasn't going to achieve the required savings.

I just spotted this article, looks like the semi state companies are yet to feel any pain, maybe we should all gang up on them.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/1216/1224260759300.html?via=mr

It was never going to get the money that was needed. The €4 billion or whatever the number is.
It was temporary, i.e. it was all going to be as-you-were next year. That's not good enough for the crisis we're in, and wouldn't have satisfied the people we're borrowing money off to pay for everything.
It was unworkable in reality. As soon as it was implemented the unions would be getting exemptions for Gards, nurses, whatever, it would fall apart and you'd end up on the finger-pointing merry-go-round again.

I personally thought it was a nuts suggestion from the unions, based on the fact that they were declaring that the public sector could get by with less hours. Less hours isn't a long journey to less people.

wow you really didn't read the first 23 pages, did you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back