PUBLIC ENEMY live show at The Village tmrw - limited tix available (1 Viewer)

Deaglan

Website
www.goodluckski.com
PUBLIC ENEMY (live)

The Village, Wexford St. Dublin 2

Tues 15th Nov. Doors 8pm

Tickets: €37.50 incl bk fee from Ticketmaster, Wav, Sound Cellar, City Discs, ROAD and usual outlets. www.ticketmaster.ie or 1890 925 100. www.wavtickets.com. 1890 200 078

Do not miss this chance to see a legendary group in such a small venue…One the most influential groups of all time; PUBLIC ENEMY’s firebrand mix of revolutionary politics and multi-layered noise grabbed the world by the kahunas when it emerged almost 20 years ago. Nine albums on; this show will feature Chuck D, Flavor Flav, Professor Griff, DJ Lord and the S1Ws playing with a full live band featuring drums, gtuiars, keyboards.

As anyone who was at Public Enemy’s last show in Dublin at Vicar St in April 2003 will testify; Public Enemy shows last roughly three hours… miss this at your peril.

PUBLIC ENEMY biog

Public Enemy

Chuck D

Flavor Flav

Professor Griff

DJ Lord

The S1W’s

A group whose musical style and incendiary delivery have earned them critical acclaim and millions of fans throughout their career, Public Enemy continues to blaze musical and technological trails with the release of their latest album, Revolverlution. A combination of new songs, live performances recorded around the world, and several classics reworked by fans via the Internet. Revolverlution pulls rap music into the future, all while keeping its musical roots firmly intact. Once again, Public Enemy transcends the confines of rap and pop music, remaining one of the African American community's most important messengers, digital music's greatest champions, and a rare rap group who need not rely on misogonistic and pro-violent lyrics.

The group burst onto both the rap and pop music world in 1987 with their first single, "Public Enemy #1," a startling combination of Chuck D's commanding orations, Hank Shocklee's layered cacophony of musical noise, and Flava Flav's show-stopping antics to keep the message entertaining. The song is not only known for introducing a whole new sound to the rap genre, but for giving the group their name. A month later, Public Enemy released their debut album, Yo! Bum Rush the Show.

Shortly after, they recorded "Rebel Without a Pause," which would herald a new era of rap - Public Enemy's trademark ‘noise' or as Hank Shocklee puts it ‘Music’s worst nightmare’ - layers upon layers of samples, sirens and general chaos. Production was handled by Bill Stephney, Hank Shocklee, Carl Ryder and Eric ‘Vietnam’ Sadler - the nucleus of the Bomb Squad, which later included Keith Shocklee.

The world responded, and Public Enemy became stars overnight, both at home and abroad. The group took Europe by storm and continue to be one of the continent's most popular acts. Then came the classic It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back in 1988, considered to be one of the most important records ever released, and voted the Number One rap album of all time.

With back-to-back, non-stop world tours, the group did not release another album until 1990’s Fear of a Black Planet. It was yet another PE classic that carried the noise, layered samples, and took their message-driven lyrics to the next level. The inclusion of Big Daddy Kane and Ice Cube on "Burn Hollywood Burn" only added to its depth and message. Add to that the lead-in single, "Fight the Power" (from Spike Lee's 'Do The Right Thing'), which became the group's signature song.

Around the same time, fans and the media started speculating on whether the creative intensity within the group was breaking it into pieces. To fuel the fire, various members were working on solo records. As an answer to these rumours, PE released Apocalypse 91 - The Enemy Strikes Black. Rather than ignore the gossip written about the group, they decided to hit the ‘hype’ head on with songs like "More News at 11," "Shut Em Down" and "Letter to the New York Post." The album also featured "By The Time I Get To Arizona," a fiery message aimed at the state's refusal to honor the new Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. And "Shut Em Down" grew out of Chuck D’s anger at having his voice used in a beer commercial, and chronicled the way he saw black neighborhoods being exploited by big corporations who put little back.

Before the year was out, the home video ‘Tour of a Black Planet’ was also released, including videos and more serious commentary than its predecessor and surpassed Gold sales. All the while, Public Enemy's incessant touring didn’t stop, and in 1992 they joined U2 on their Zoo TV tour.

While on tour, the group recorded their fifth album Greatest Misses. Comprised of six new songs and six remixes of PE classics, the album was meant to be a gift for fans until a full-length album could be recorded. Greatest Misses was accompanied by the release of their third Gold-selling home video ‘The Enemy Strikes Live’, a recording of a free show they did at the famous Apollo Theatre.

The next studio album was 1994’s Muse-Sick-N-Hour-Mess-Age. By that time, the rap soundscape had changed dramatically. No longer in any mood to hold back, the group now felt that it was time to hold a mirror up to the black race and to the music industry - subjects they had touched on before but never to this extent. Producing a sound that Chuck D described as ‘ferocious soul’ using live instruments, bigger noise, and all sorts of chaos, the album was considered to be a radical departure from their previous albums. After at first catching their fans by surprise, it is now considered by their fans to be one their best works.

In 1996, the group took an indeterminate break from their relentless touring and recording schedule, but decided to returned in 1998 at Spike Lee's request with a gripping soundtrack album to his movie He Got Game. Unlike most soundtrack albums, He Got Game wasn't so much a soundtrack as a new Public Enemy record. Many of the group's original members returned for the recording, including various members of The Bomb Squad.

was their last show not in the red box??

id love to go to this, but theres something very wrong with paying that much for a public enemy gig. Fight the power me arse...

First time i saw them they were amazing, everytime i've seen them they've had less and less energy though, they're getting old now, last time in Vicar street they talked for half the gig about the gulf war, we know the war is wrong Chuck, now play some forkin music bahhhhhhhhh.....

When is flava flav going to change his name to 'little bitch'?

all he seems to do is - 'yo chuck, check me out chuck, hey chuck, chuck yo, yeah chuck, look at me chuck, over here chuck, i wish ye a lorra lorra luck chuck, hey chuck we know we can do this chuck cos we can do this yeah'

Brush said:
When is flava flav going to change his name to 'little bitch'?

all he seems to do is - 'yo chuck, check me out chuck, hey chuck, chuck yo, yeah chuck, look at me chuck, over here chuck, i wish ye a lorra lorra luck chuck, hey chuck we know we can do this chuck cos we can do this yeah'

but he's got a big clock like...

:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back