prince-ish (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pad
  • Start date
  • Replies 133
  • Views 12K
  • Watchers 5
Dirty Mind is a cracker of an album all right

Don't give up Shaney - You can do it! Side's, the related artists just filled the long gap between albums anyway, you don't have to worry about that.

PS, I iTunes'd A Wizzard, a true star... I'll give it a listen soon

Some of the related stuff is my favourite he ever did : \

anyway, I too will listen to Rundgren, i've been meaning to since our sparks thread last year.

Right, i'm off. Talk to yiz pricks at a later date.

Prince - very noticeable improvement here. The first song sounds all wrong - the keys and guitars and shit are gammy but it starts getting catchy all the same and then by the time that minimal instrumental section arrives its deadly. When We're Dancing Close & Slow is fantastic - what do the ballad haters think of that one? I love that synth bass note going all the way through it. With You - sounds like one of michael jacksons soppy ballads except its classier. Not as good as the last song though. I've heard Bambi before. I sat beside an obsessive prince fan in school and he put it on a 4-song compilation for me. Not mad about the guitar tone on this or Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad.

I like When We're Dancing Close & Slow.

basically the only one in the classic era I really actively dislike is When 2 are in love.

AND IT'S ON 2 BLEEDIN' ALBUMS.

edit: final note, the 'gammy' guitar and synth rhythm are what MAKE that song. Methinks you're gonna hate all the bits I love. i.e. ALL of Dirty Mind, Controversy and 1999.

No Prince today. I noticed last night that both Prince and Todd Rundgren have covered La La (Means I Love You). That medley of covers on AWATS was a serious error of judgement, although the La La La La La La La one is cool

Dirty Mind didn't make a huge impression on me. I'm not against puerile juvenile lyrics by any means but these ones just seem a bit gammy. The music is alright. Usually albums that I love take a while to get under my skin and I did listen to DM a second time so thats a promising sign. I listened to Controversy twice too. Its a lot better, I find it groovier (I mean musical grooves, not hip groovy). Also the ballad is deadly. Maybe Prince albums at this time needed a ballad to be complete, i dont think DM had one but I forget now.

When You Were Mine? Not really a ballad but one of my favourite Prince songs ...

Aye, he certainly was hitting his stride just before the behemoth of Purple Rain the following year.

First mention of The Revolution too despite him performing everything on the album. 1999 is amazing.

Purple Rain was deadly of course. I love it. My favorite bit is in The Beautiful Ones where this dreamy synth starts up as he sings "we could get married, wouldn't that be cool" but then when he sings the next line "you make me so confused" the synth is pitch-wheeled downwards and fades out leaving an angsty still bit in the music to match the lyrics. Darling Nikki is shite though. What do yiz think of his saucy songs? I'm not sure if I'm uncovering a prudish streak in myself or if these songs are just shite. Sister is a good tune but the lyrics wreck it for me. I don't mind the bit on 1999 where he sings "i wanna fuck you" and groans along.

Holidays are over so I had another listen to Around The World In A Day. I still reckon its pretty weak and forgettable even though theres a few good tunes i.e. pop life, terminal condition, raspberry beret. Parade is deadly too. I'd forgotten all about Boys & Girls, I used to love that when I was 8.

Latest results:

Sign 'O' The Times: Excellent
The Black Album: Pretty poor, no strong tunes
Lovesexy: Better than the Black Album but still pretty poor. Worth it for Glam Slam, Anna Stesia and I Wish U Heaven
Batman: Very good, solid songs throughout, a couple of classics (Vicki Waiting, Trust, Scandalous)
Graffiti Bridge: Not sure about this one, in one ear and out the other.
Diamonds And Pearls: half good (the ballady ones mainly) half shite (everything else). I used to hate the title track but its pretty decent after all.
Symbol album: useless
Come: Not too bad, at least the hip-hop stuff is mostly absent.
The Beautiful Experience: I always liked the version of The Most Beautiful Girl but all the other versions are a bit pointless when they're not as good.

This is getting exhausting. are there many gems left?

I would have said to stop at the end of the 80's and let those albums sink in before tackling the 90's which is for the most part pretty poor and I consider to be an "acquired taste" period...

If its getting exhausting, then do just that.

Perhaps then you will see The Black Album for the sublime piece of genius that it is.

A note on the 90's - ALL albums contain hidden gems even among the worst but can be easily overlooked by the shite they accompany. Its tough going.

Oh he get right back out of his slump again in the naughties.

Having said that, there are some incredible live performances from the 90's that just make your hair stand on end they are so good.
Some official, some not so official. They stand head & shoulders above the mostly crap studio output.

Don't worry, he has plenty of unpopular albums. In regards amazing ones, depends what you're after really. I'd almost be inclined to recommend someone like you a bootleg of unreleased stuff over an album. I get the impression you'd appreciate the odder stuff more.

When did you move to Minneapolis and why did you come back?

ehh.. 2006 maybe. i came back because i'm stupid. where is the odder stuff found?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back