prince-ish (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pad
  • Start date
  • Replies 133
  • Views 12K
  • Watchers 5
a major regret of mine is not taking Santino Aladdin up on the offer to go to one of princes london shows and the associated aftershow gig with him. i am a fool.

Here, tell us more about the after shows? Does it tend to be mostly funk and covers?

They are more of a relaxed/party vibe - the set is made up as they go along... extended jams, covers, funk workouts, it varies...

I once saw him play a gig with just the "power trio" a three piece band with him on guitar backed up with just bass & drums. It was a pure rock n roll experience. Guitar solo's that went on forever. Sublime.

I've also seen him cram as many musicians onstage that he can fit, direct them into a jam & just stand back & enjoy it himself.

Best thing is, the audience usually is only a few hundred people crammed into a small venue who don't want to hear Kiss again either.

In short, a Prince aftershow is one of the most sublime musical experiences you are ever likely to have.

This one night at about 3am they finished a set. The house lights came on, everyone was leaving. I wandered up to the front of the stage to check out his pedal board which is my usual post gig routine.
I was leaning on the stage looking at his set up. I could have reached out and changed all the knobs on his pedals. The place was virtually empty about 45 mins after they finished. I see a pair of red shoes approach where I'm standing. I look up at Prince, he looks down at me, smiling he steps on the turbo distortion and deafens me. I scream my head off, the house lights come back on and there is a mass crush back to the front of the stage as he does one last number.

THAT is a Prince aftershow.

Has Prince ever expressed any opinions on Todd Rundgren? The first page of google results is inconclusive. Anyway, I've often been reminded of Prince while listening to Todd's classic 70's albums. They're both purveyors of perfect pop and they both have squiggly guitars. Look:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I know he worships Carlos Santana, who I've never really listened to...

But the bits I have heard I do see the influence in Prince's playing on certain things.

Never saw that Rundgren clip before. I guess its plausible he's a fan but I've never heard him mention a reference. I do know there was a bit of controversy about him ripping off th guitar design for the symbol guitar. http://prince.org/msg/8/350863

Santana & Sly Stone are always openly mentioned as an influences and most apparent to my ears.

Curious.

"1999" is his "Todd" album

I will have to have a listen to this one. I only know his hits and Around the World In A Day which is pretty weak. I always thought he was a lot more prolific than this for some reason. I don't know that I'd have picked up on the Joni Mitchell if I hadn't read it (then again I've barely listened to prince so how could I. Im just grooving on the enthusiasm in this thread)

He's mad for the Joni. Really apparent on the ballads. He does an amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing cover of A Case of You.

1999 is one of my favorites. It starts off with the 2 big singles then the rest of the album is minimal synth & lynn drum city. I know nothing of the Todd, must check him out...

If your just getting into him have a listen to the Prodcast I put together some time ago. Fairly decent introduction (in the podcast thread) - Always meant to do a part 2....

I heard an interview with Joni Mitchell once (she was interviewed by Morrissey of all people) where she slated people for covering her songs badly. I think she may have said something positive about prince though

I don't really like that cover, it's a bit too over the top for me. The first avenue version is way better IMHO.

Also Around the World in a Day is a great album, albeit a bit confused.

Ah, I love it anyway... borderline lounge act style and all...

I also love ATWIAD - patchy as fuck

ATWIAD, it's like he had this great concept but seemed to get bored four songs in so just stuck on a bunch of random stuff for the rest and tried to tie it all together with his speech with God at the end.

I don't think there's any BAD songs on it though. Maybe the Ladder....

ATWIAD, it's like he had this great concept but seemed to get bored four songs in so just stuck on a bunch of random stuff for the rest and tried to tie it all together with his speech with God at the end.

I don't think there's any BAD songs on it though. Maybe the Ladder....

The Ladder was my favorite one, and the speech bit. Todd is also into those really low spoken wordy bits

If you like the Ladder he has this great song called Purple Rain.....

Lili - just curious, are you a Rainbow Children yay or nay person?

oh definitely Yay. The Digital Garden is where it's AT.

I mean, it's hard for me to judge some of it, i'm not really an instrumental jazz kinda guy normally so some of the REALLY JAZZY bits may be way-cheesy if that's your thing but... it all sounds good to me. I'm a big fan of Xpectation as well.

As for the lyrics.... well.... conspiracy-laden religious nonsense, bordering on a blame-ridden racist agenda fuelled rant..... but he does tend to believe whatever people tell him, doesn't he? He seems to have got over it nowadays at least.

His plastic-funk stuff I find more difficult to listen to. I'd be hard pressed to name a BAD song by him but I could point to a list of 40 odd songs I couldn't sing a word of they're so forgettable.

case in point, worst prince song ever

oh definitely Yay. The Digital Garden is where it's AT.

Oh thats good. It seems to be the album that divides the fans, but its a personal fave. (Despite being clueless as to what the fuck he's banging on about in the lyrics).
I love N.E.W.S. too, which again gets dismissed in the same breath as TRC.

Where do you stand on the Black Album vs Lovesexy debate?

(Given your previous answer I assume its The Black Album)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back