Prince - 1999 (1982) (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 112
  • Views 21K
  • Watchers 4
Finally got around to listening to this enough to form an opinion about it. I was surprised how synth heavy it was and how cheesy some of the synths were (they sound like toys at times), I was expecting a lot more guitar and a lot more "real" instruments. First couple of playthroughs I found it a bit of a slog overall but with moments of brilliance. Third listen through, I paid more attention to the lyrics and they're pretty great. "Little Red Corvette" is particularly good. Then there are things like the rhythms and chimes on "Let's Pretend We're Married" that are killer, I'm still not entirely sold on the synth horn sound though (though obviously horns are appropriate for a Prince album). "Automatic" is one of my favourites on the album, it's like Kraftwerk batted the ball over to him and he's batting it back. The tail end of the album loses me a bit but I think I just need to spend more time with it, also it's kind of hard to sustain an album that begins with "1999" and "Little Red Corvette" and expect it to be that good throughout.

I found what Prince albums were lurking in my collection and listened to them during the week too. I've listened to Sign o' the Times a few times and I'm digging that but wasn't blown away by Chaos and Disorder.

Chaos and Disorder! haha

C&D is a cool album but it's definitely one of his throwaway ones where he's mainly just having a bit of fun. He released it about 4 months before releasing a triple album!

Chaos and Disorder! haha

C&D is a cool album but it's definitely one of his throwaway ones where he's mainly just having a bit of fun. He released it about 4 months before releasing a triple album!
Based on the sleeve, it has a distinct whiff of contract fulfiller about it.

I'm listening again and that bit when Prince is talking during "Automatic" and his voice is panning from side to side is terrific. So many little details on this album!

We defo needs more sexy keyboard playing in this world

tumblr_m9edffHTbb1qcvaxho1_500.gif

I listened to this thrice on my holidays,typing on the tablet is to much of a chore so I didnt review it at the time.

With the news of Princes death and all at the same time it was an emotional listen.But far from my fave of his.

LOL they've started putting up his official videos on youtube

Prince would not approve of this salaciousness in 2017

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm sure I put this in my review but

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

mazin'

It starts off like the best thing ever. Even if Computer Blue and Darling Nikki weren't completely shit it'd still be impossible to sustain that level of amazing.
I like the noise at the start of “Computer Blue” and the way Prince’s scream bleeds into the feedback.

Lili Marlene -
Is 1999 his best LP ? if not what is ?
Do you have a favourite Prince song ?
How many Prince records do you own ? (inc. boots if you like).
How many times did you see him live ?
Do you have a favourite Prince female protege ?

i've only listened to his 80's heyday stuff and i'd say 1999 is the best.
1999 is one of the best pop songs ever and Automatic is equally great.
love the inner sleeve photo of the band too.

near the end great time for chart pop music never bettered since.

general comments -
a lot of 70's funksters got lost in the 80's transition into synths but
he pulls it off better than any established artist i can think of.
funksters were also notorious for doing weak mellow tracks and
having lots of filler (as opposed to the whole funk and nothing but the funk).
Prince was also better at doing the mellow stuff than his rivals
(e.g. Rick James smoochy luv songs make me cringe)

Lili Marlene -
Is 1999 his best LP ? if not what is ?
Hello Nuke, his best LP is probably a three way tie between Dirty Mind, Purple Rain and Sign O the Times. My favourite is Parade.

Do you have a favourite Prince song ?
17 Days

How many Prince records do you own ? (inc. boots if you like).
Lost count. I have pretty much every Prince album 'physically' in some form, except Kama Sutra and One Nite Alone, which i'm not willing to shell out super big bucks for. I have bootlegs for days.

How many times did you see him live ?
NOT ENOUGH. (3 times)

Do you have a favourite Prince female protege ?
Jill Jones, she only did one album with him but it's one of the best he ever did. Also, just look at her.

Just listened to Purple Rain there for the first time and it wasn’t grabbing me like I expected it to. Some nice moments but very little of it gelled together for me. I’ll try again but I preferred 1999.
I remember feeling similar when I first listened, like why does Let's Go Crazy, one of his most famous songs, not even really have a big chorus? What's going on with Computer Blue going off on this mad tangent and never coming back to the tune? In time these become positives because you realise the album isn't watering down his vision in an attempt at becoming Thriller-style appeal-to-everyone kind of album, it's still full of his idiosyncrasies.

Last edited:
1 – 1999
We all know this one. Classic tune. I love the alternating vocals, I think they were supposed to be singing the part in unison but Prince started flicking between them. I love the funk guitar groove as well. The outro breakdown is cool.

2 - Little Red Corvette
Ditto this song. I love the way he sings/phrases the main vocal on this. I never knew Prince was into the GG’s.

3 - Delirious
The intro had me thinking of the neutron dance. This sounds really dated, not always a bad thing, although it kind of is in this case. The novelty synch line doesn’t help. Catchy, but not great.

4 - Let's Pretend We're Married
The start isn’t promising but it gets better. Sounds VERY 80’s.. Prince treating to do some damage in the lyrics. Lyrics were always the weak point of his considerable talent. He just didn’t have much to say, mostly it was how he was going to do the ladies. Its fun but definitely too long.

5 - D.M.S.R.
This would probably work great live, on record it’s not bad. An updated James Brown kind of song. Lots of chanting.

6 - Automatic
I like this one but its at least twice as long as it needs to be. Some nice instrumental touches.

7 - Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)
Quite like this as well. Not a whole lot to it. A drum machine, quirky keyboard lines & a huge scream in the middle.

8 - Free
I was wondering where the big ballad was. Some great throat tearing vocals, the song is okay. It goes a bit sexual chocolate in the chorus.

9 - Lady Cab Driver
Cool track. Is that a real drum track? Nice change from the Linn drum machine which is used a bit too much on this album. I like the harmonies on the vocal melody. Some text book funk guitar grooves. Don’t listen to this one with your Ma in the room.

10 - All the Critics Love U in New York
This sticks with the formula of the album, Repetitive drum machine groove, quirky 80’s keyboard sounds. Nice electro funk feel to it. I like the spoken word verses.

11 - International Lover
Bit of a soul smoocher. It’s a good one though. This song has sonically aged better than most of the album. It sounds like some of his more recent stuff. Some serious vocal gymnastics in there.

I own a good few Prince albums (Purple Rain, Around the world in a day, Parade, Sign of the times, Lovesexy, Diamonds & Pearls, The Rainbow children & The Hits & B sides to be exact ) but not 1999. After listening through I don’t really feel the need to own this. I often see 1999 in the essential Prince albums lists but I find it very dated sounding. I don’t mind dated music if the songs are good enough but most of the songs here aren’t his best. Most are too long & aren’t strong enough to justify it.

Last edited:
We'll not be shortening any of the songs on here thank you very much.

Hello Nuke, his best LP is probably a three way tie between Dirty Mind, Purple Rain and Sign O the Times. My favourite is Parade.

17 Days

Lost count. I have pretty much every Prince album 'physically' in some form, except Kama Sutra and One Nite Alone, which i'm not willing to shell out super big bucks for. I have bootlegs for days.

NOT ENOUGH. (3 times)

Jill Jones, she only did one album with him but it's one of the best he ever did. Also, just look at her.

I remember feeling similar when I first listened, like why does Let's Go Crazy, one of his most famous songs, not even really have a big chorus? What's going on with Computer Blue going off on this mad tangent and never coming back to the tune? In time these become positives because you realise the album isn't watering down his vision in an attempt at becoming Thriller-style appeal-to-everyone kind of album, it's still full of his idiosyncrasies.

Cheers for your cool reply Lili -
your scholarship has inspired me to find out more about Prince's
world, how the hell did he have so much going on ?

i used to like PRINCE as a kid in late 80's but i never really bought
records much until 1992 aged 16 and apart from SMF wasn't into
that era really.
so i only had Sign O'Times then.

i remember in 1988 wanting to buy 1999 but being 50p short - tragic.

after the new wave era ended, in the mid-80's there was a shocking
decline in popular music and his songs stood out a million miles on
day time radio then.

when you tube arrived my taste in music broadened hugely
if I heard something on there i like i'd go out and get it.
Prince obviously didn't see you tube like this.
so i never listened to the 1999 LP the whole way through until he was gone.

didn't know 17 Days (so it was the B side of When Doves Cry).

i actually listened to some of JILL JONES' album a few weeks back.
it must have got no promotion because i was surprised he would
give a muse the songs i heard.
will listen to whole thing now.
i saw a photo of her from move recently and she has aged very well !
he started working with her in 1982 i believe but it took until
'87 to get her LP out.
also i've the heard story that she and Prince were reconciled at Denise Matthew's
(artist formerly known as Vanity) funeral.
and she and Lisa sort him out in the Automatic video !

so there you go - without your posts here i wouldn't have
being inspired to find his circle from those days.
keep it coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back