Primavera Sound 2010 (1 Viewer)

sounds awful.

Marina was supported by someone called 'Spark' last night, which is a terrible name. It would be like calling your band 'the Rolling Stone'.

I hear Tortoise were amazing, I was even offered a listen but I politely declined. As you do.

the xx were dreadful! anti-climax of the w-e for sure.

panda bear was good but was making my way over aftre wilco and the amount of people streaming for the exits was incredible, i thought it was over..obv not everyone's cup of tea

highlights - the charlatans/some friendly was great fun
Pavement, here we go magic, wild beasts

Highlights for me were sic alps, the fall (especially the sonics cover), pavement, spoon, les savvy fav, charlatans, orbital, liquid liquid and PSB. Atlas sound were awfully dull, and I did try, but despite so many people saying how great they are I still find grizzly bear to be utter shite.

First time at primavera and I'd deffo go again, hopefully they'll sort out the toilets though, streams of piss everywhere after midnight on all three nights.

oh my this was very good

highlights for me were Rother playing the NEU! stuff, Marc Almond, The Fall, The Pixies, Pavement and Les Savy Fav.

Those bucket seats that they threw up along the side of the Vice Stage were a good addition. And was glad to see that those nasty automated drink ticket machines didn't make a return.

Thought Yeasayer where shitist thing I've ever heard, and No Age were practically inaudible such was the poor sound quality for their set.

Pixies, Orbital, Pavement, Tortoise, The Fall, Liquid Liquid, Les Savy Fav, Grizzly Bear - all excellent.

Took them a while to sort out the sound for GB, probably because the crowd size trebled within ten minutes.

The XX disappointed.

Jeffrey Lewis and Black Lips were really good at the closing party in Apollo.
The sun is still shining in Barcelona and I'm still here :eek:) Time to hit a terrace for a mediana.

Suprised to see so many people enjoyed pixies. For the couple of songs I saw I've never seen a more disinterested front man as frank black on Friday night.

Suprised to see so many people enjoyed pixies. For the couple of songs I saw I've never seen a more disinterested front man as frank black on Friday night.

Yeah, I thought they came a poor third in the headliner stakes compared to Pavement and PSB. I didn't find them engaging at all, and ended up wandering off before the end. Workmanlike.
I really enjoyed The xx I have to say, they were never going to blow the roof off exactly. But they started and finished very strongly. I particularly liked the bit when they broke into 9pm Til I Come. There was definitely a mid-set lull, though that is probably inevitable with so few songs under their belt.

A longer summary:
Superchunk were great on Friday, despite not really being familiar with much of their material. Annoyingly had to leave after a while to see Tortoise, who I didn't think were particularly great. A bit jazzier and noodly than I was expecting. Stayed for a bit of the rescheduled Books afterwards. Really glad I got to see them in the Button Factory, it didn't work quite as well here. Pavement were absolutely deadly, and it was a great atmosphere. Shady Lane at the end was brillo. By Fuck Buttons I'd managed to lose everyone, at which point I was absolutely wrecked. Great gig though, from what I remember. Sounded enormous. I have no idea how I managed to get home from whatever Metro stop I had to get off from. All I can remember is at one point planting my face into the pavement (not the band), and ended up with a fairly embarrassing bruise on my lip for the rest of the weekend. Spa. That's what 3 euro beers got me. Speaking of which, anyone else do the old cerveza celiacos trick again? I can't believe even with a change in beer sponsor it still worked. San Miguel obviously didn't want to piss off the celiac audience. They rumbled it by Friday, but by then I had most of my tokens for the weekend bought. It took until my last token for a barman to even notice that it said anything other than cerveza. Even then they just gave me a normal beer once I asked for one.

Anyway, other good stuff: Beach House were great again on Friday, the boat sailing past and the orange moon rising added to it nicely. What I saw of Shellac was class. Michael Rother on Saturday was amazing. (Vinnie: http://www.michaelrother.de/en/news_single.php?nid=86) A real treat, I didn't even notice he was on the bill until last week. Great atmosphere as well. Would have been even more fantastic later on I think. Built to Spill were excellent too, even though they seemed to be having sound problems. From Else onwards it was amazing. Pet Shop Boys were probably the most fun thing of the weekend I think. The staging and production values were just superb. That bit when the video wall spontaneously disintegrated and they segued into Go West was the most grin inducing moment of the festival. The cover of Viva la Vida with Tennent wearing a crown was great fun, and people were going fairly mental by It's a Sin. Encore was slightly underwhelming. The Field were pretty good afterwards too, despite large expanses of nothingness. Having seen him perform on his own before, I'm not sure how much the band added. Probably should have gone to Orbital.

Less great stuff: Panda Bear gig was weird. That first 10/15 minutes was just awful. It definitely picked up as it went along and some of the new stuff sounded promising, but the floods of people leaving was mad. The lack of visuals obviously didn't help, but large parts of it was pretty boring humourless stuff. Florence and the Machine were fairly shite, I'm not sure why I ended up there. Paper thin histrionics. Grizzly Bear were underwhelming as well I thought, certainly no indication of their 'amazing live act' status. Maybe I've just gone off them. Condo Fucks were also a bit disappointing. Grand, like. But not I ended up gagging for them to break into a Yo La Tengo tune.

Anyway, that's about enough. Great weekend again. Thursday and Saturday the best, though maybe that's partly because I was something of a mess for much of Friday. Disappointed to miss Low in particular, as well as Here We Go Magic, and would have liked to see more than 10 minutes of the Antlers. Enjoyed reading that official Thumped write up as well. Can't wait for next year, though I now find myself compulsively pissing into any foliage I pass.

c n p:
best festival in the world.
marred slightly by some poor decision-making on my part, eg smuggling drink in on thursday, knocking it back in rapid time and ending up so twisted that i lost all ability to function - i kept going up to the bars constantly trying to pay for drink with money over and over..very messy
Amazing:
PAVEMENT - Malkmus was actually enjoying himself! kicking off with 'Cut Your Hair' was just a perfect moment. i was going absolutely apeshit at this, although some bits of the set fell victim to alcohol-induced amnesia - i didn't remember that Kevin Drew was up there til i heard it the next day
COLD CAVE - real surprise hit of the festival! they were amazing, really moody and down-to-business (don't think they said a word all set?) but completely got the crowd going - Youth and Lust was class, as was that noise section towards the end
NO AGE/TITUS ANDRONICUS - Mosh-pits! now that's what i'm talking about. exhilirating. later found out that Titus singer was staying in the same hostel as us. would agree that No AGE's vocals were very low in the mix, certain songs hard to recognise, but it may well have been the intention
OWEN PALLETT - this was nevr going to be anything other than superb. nifty cover of Caribou's Swim. Lewis Takes Action sounds better evry time i hear it.
LOW - can't understand people who moan about The Great Destroyer being one of their weaker albums. this was alternately beautiful and intense, Everybody's Song was ferocious, lovely subdued version of California, epic version of Broadway. brilliant.
JAPANDROIDS - loudest band i heard all weekend! amazing energy for a two-piece. loved their whole 'we didn't come all this way to fuck around!' attitude. great stuff. Sovereignty was exhilirating. actually set myself on fire during Young Hearts. i'm not joking. i only just realised that ties in with the song. ha! yeah i accidentally set my belt on fire, it was burning away for a good few minutes before my friend copped to the smell of burning. frantic efforts to quench it (harder than you'd think) followed.
OTHER STUFF THAT WAS COOL
HERE WE GO MAGIC - played a lot of new stuff, sounds more direct and less loop-based. Seeing everyone swaying dreamily along to an otherwordly Fangela was pretty amazing. Only Pieces was great too
GANGLIANS - again, good bit of new stuff, some of it very impressive, Never Mind and Blood on the Sand sounded great.
A SUNNY DAY IN GLASGOW - first two songs were stunning (Failure and Shy), kind of drifted out of it after a while but overall very impressive
JOKER - blah blah, great stuff
REAL ESTATE
BEN FROST
HEALTH
SIC ALPS - towards the end their set really picked up, great feedback and i love that kind of thing
LIQUID LIQUID
MAJOR LAZER
SURFER BLOOD
STUFF THAT WAS DISAPPOINTING
BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE - I was so twisted i can't really remember much of this, but i know i didn't enjoy it too much. too much new stuff, which is mostly shit.
FLORENCE - never got going. sound was pretty brutal. Dog Days was a highlight though
COCOROSIE- from the small bit i saw, just wasn't working. Sound on the Ray-Ban stage seemed pretty poor any time i was there. as with...
GRIZZLY BEAR - WHY did i go to this instead of Antlers? even 2 Weeks sounded really subdued, don't think this was the best stage for them.
FUCK BUTTONS - i waS too much of a write-off to enjoy it
PIXIES - karaoke
ATLAS SOUND - like many, don't feel his current live show represents his talents. did realise after a while that i was standing behind all four of Real Estate watching the set.

THE ATP DJ ON SUNDAY MORNING - too much cheese, completely wrecked the vibe. Suspicious Minds? it's a rock festival, not a wedding/stag night. also, let's be honest - the people dancing on stage looked like gimps.
OTHER STUFF
The Primavera in the Park gigs were absolutely impossible to find. really annoying. needs to be more clearly marked on a map or something. Google Maps was giving two completely different locations, i eventually gave up looking.
what was the deal with the APollo Wednesday night?
is it me or was Orbital's set ridiculously short? we watched a bit of Health and left to catch a bit of Orbital, got up there and there was nothing happening
went to see the Nou Camp! great stuff, although not as spectacular as i thought it'd be
there needs to be a second exit at the Main Stage. had to push past tons of people at Pixies to get out, felt like a dick
eh, i think that's it for now, might remember more stuff

haribo said:
had to push past tons of people at Pixies to get out, felt like a dick

I stayed for the first few Pixies songs and then headed to Sleigh Bells. Walking from the grass was an unending task of snaking through the crowd, I've never seen such a dense crowd wrapped around the main stage before.

I stayed for the first few Pixies songs and then headed to Sleigh Bells. Walking from the grass was an unending task of snaking through the crowd, I've never seen such a dense crowd wrapped around the main stage before.

I nearly had a panic attack trying to leave. Didn't the Thumped write up say there were 35,000 people there? (Which would make it the biggest gig I've ever been at)

Such a good time despite being in so much pain due to my own stupidity.

Hives vs Sun = Sun Won
Sun vs Jaegar = Jaegar Won
Sin gluten, chin chin!

Highlight was BTS for me. Especially with the German dude behind me giving it his all. Jumped and sang at the top of my lungs the whole time.
SUPERCHUNK (even though I was in the toilet queue for Slack Motherfucker but I sang along while watching the jumbo tron)
King Khan and the BBQ show were fantastic.
Loved the Clean but wish it was later it the night. (I did get to sit back to back with David Kilgour on Sunday night at a cafe in the Gothic Quarter though)

Low points: Turning into a shivering mess during Circulatory System and nearly dropped my drink from the shakes. I went for a walk and ended up on the hill for two songs of the XX when I thought I might die. The paracetamol kicked in soon after then the night picked up for Superchunk.

Yeasayer were fucking horrible. I just wanted to sit down and not move but then it started to fill up. I swear the amount of people coming from the pixies to the Vice stage was unreal. It was like watching that Christmas crab video, they just kept coming. Left after two songs (it was all I could handle) and then manoeuvred my way out. I couldn't imagine trying to get out of there later on. Oof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back