pride vs rte (1 Viewer)

I am flabbergasted at the links I am reading here about cis sportswomen being discriminated against like this (Barbra Banda, kids in Ohio) this is damaging sport and has far wider implications.

this is getting into very dangerous territory.

That's already been happening though hasn't it? Castor Semenya was totally fucked over by athletics governing body.
yeah Caster has no case to answer as I often said before. I was stunned she was banned.
but it seems the scope of women who are being banned is being widened due to other agendas?

I mentioned Barbra Banda on thumped before when she scored a hat trick in the last Olympics against Holland who beat Zambia 10-3.

Oh well, I guess we’ve solved systemic racism then. That was easy!
Meh. What I'm saying is you don't need racism to explain any of the behaviour here

but it seems the scope of women who are being banned is being widened due to other agendas?
I don't see that there's any overarching agenda. If you're going to have "women's sports" then you need to decide what a woman is, and if that's not going to be based entirely on self-identification then shit gets complicated real quick. What's happening atm is most sporting organisations don't want to allow people to compete as women purely based on self-identification, and any other criteria that they come up with excludes people who don't feel they should be excluded (or who weren't excluded before the latest rule change) ... or on the flipside include people who other athletes don't feel should be included

Meh. What I'm saying is you don't need racism to explain any of the behaviour here
My post was sarkier than it should have been but you really can’t neatly separate institutional racism from institutional sexism. Racism isn’t needed to explain the behaviour but it definitely compounds it.

I don't see that there's any overarching agenda. If you're going to have "women's sports" then you need to decide what a woman is, and if that's not going to be based entirely on self-identification then shit gets complicated real quick. What's happening atm is most sporting organisations don't want to allow people to compete as women purely based on self-identification, and any other criteria that they come up with excludes people who don't feel they should be excluded (or who weren't excluded before the latest rule change) ... or on the flipside include people who other athletes don't feel should be included
My point was Women with hyperandrogenism should be allowed compete.
They are being discriminated against.

And anti trans people are hijacking a lot of the discourse on these issues.

can’t wait for the episode of reeling in the years thirty years from now with a snippet about people ambushing each other online about “womanface”

This has been a stance adopted by some (e.g. my terfy neighbour and some people on the twitters) for a while now. Thumped is falling behind the times!
Related: I'm yet to come across a convincing argument as to why what Rachel Dolezal did was especially bad (aside from the fact that it was all a bit morto) that doesn't end up in something akin to TERF territory. Cancel me now lads.

There's been an interesting shifting of goalposts in the transphobe rhetoric lately, specifically when it comes to intersex athletes.

The line used to be "people aren't assigned male or female at birth, they are observed." (Essentially, boys have pee pees and girls have hoo hoos) has been shifted to "oh actually we've found out that these women runners with vaginas also have internal testes so that makes them men." (It's almost as though it's complex or something.)

There doesn't seem to have been much sympathy for these women who may have had a traumatising discovery made about themselves that they were unaware of that was a shock to their sense of who they are, they now seem to just be cheating men. (All the women who have been caught up in this have been black Africans BTW )

And none of these people are trans women, they're women with a DSD/intersex people, but they're being thrown under the bus as fodder for the whole thing.

There's been an interesting shifting of goalposts in the transphobe rhetoric lately, specifically when it comes to intersex athletes.

The line used to be "people aren't assigned male or female at birth, they are observed." (Essentially, boys have pee pees and girls have hoo hoos) has been shifted to "oh actually we've found out that these women runners with vaginas also have internal testes so that makes them men." (It's almost as though it's complex or something.)

There doesn't seem to have been much sympathy for these women who may have had a traumatising discovery made about themselves that they were unaware of that was a shock to their sense of who they are, they now seem to just be cheating men. (All the women who have been caught up in this have been black Africans BTW )

And none of these people are trans women, they're women with a DSD/intersex people, but they're being thrown under the bus as fodder for the whole thing.
Let's CANCEL PAULA RADCLIFFE and SEBASTIAN COE - come on everyone we can do this!

Exactly - who the fuck are those bastards to make judgements about women's gender?

Let's CANCEL PAULA RADCLIFFE and SEBASTIAN COE - come on everyone we can do this!

Exactly - who the fuck are those bastards to make judgements about women's gender?
Sharon Davies has had an especially nasty take, something along the lines of "all the medallists in the Rio women's 800m were male"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back