Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marie Goretti Moylan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gemma O'Doherty

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Smaug

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
The presidential vote is proportional representation, so if I vote for Michael D and he gets 51% (I don't know how the quota is worked out in a single seat election, is it that simple?) then the surplus MDH votes are divvied out proportionally across the rest of the candidates? Is that right?

So if I think a candidate is an awful dickbag and I don't want my vote going towards them meeting the threshold to qualify for recoupment of expenses, then I rank all other candidates above them?

The presidential vote is proportional representation, so if I vote for Michael D and he gets 51% (I don't know how the quota is worked out in a single seat election, is it that simple?) then the surplus MDH votes are divvied out proportionally across the rest of the candidates? Is that right?

So if I think a candidate is an awful dickbag and I don't want my vote going towards them meeting the threshold to qualify for recoupment of expenses, then I rank all other candidates above them?

No, Michael d. Higgins is elected with 50% + 1 vote and that is that. The surplus would not be proportioned out as there is only one seat to fill.

Anyone with less than 12.5% won't be able to reclaim expenses if they don't reach 12.5% on the count Higgins is elected

Proportional representation only applies in multi seat elections. That is the proportionality of the system.

The system is pr-stv and in the presidential, the only part that matters is the stv - single transferable vote.

I'm just going in and voting Higgins 1 and that is that. No need for any other number on Friday.

Seems I might be wrong:

From a document on laois county council website

Also, any surplus(es) available after all seats have been filled must be
distributed if it/they could possibly give any continuing candidate enough votes to qualify
for recoupment of election expenses (see section VII).

I don’t watch Rick and Morty. I saw the first episode and, while it was grand, that was enough for me.

Most of the comparison i'm making is in the first two minutes

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Peter Casey on RTE this morning;
"I'm not racist, I once brought the head of an Indian company over to talk to the IDA.."*

*paraphrasing

I know one person voting for Peter Casey. He won't or can't explain why but mumbles something about "groupthink" when Higgins is brought up. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back