Prefab Sprout are shite! (1 Viewer)

thad wrongcock

Whiney, wimpy, nerdy, pop songs. Big deal. We hear this every day. Matchbox 21 or whatever their name is sounds like this, and they suck! Like the one guy wrote, it's Bryan Adams limey style. A few good songs, but no big deal. Have you people never listened to Miles Davis and Gil Evans? Mozart? Johnny Cash? Richard Thompson? Van Morrison? Joni Mitchell? Nina Simone? This word "genius" sure comes easy these days. It used to take Joyce, Melville, Nobel, C.V. Raman. Now we have Adam Sandler and Paddy Mcaloon. They don't have to rock out, but this record just has no balls. Geez!

thad wrongcock said:
Whiney, wimpy, nerdy, pop songs. Big deal. We hear this every day. Matchbox 21 or whatever their name is sounds like this, and they suck! Like the one guy wrote, it's Bryan Adams limey style. A few good songs, but no big deal. Have you people never listened to Miles Davis and Gil Evans? Mozart? Johnny Cash? Richard Thompson? Van Morrison? Joni Mitchell? Nina Simone? This word "genius" sure comes easy these days. It used to take Joyce, Melville, Nobel, C.V. Raman. Now we have Adam Sandler and Paddy Mcaloon. They don't have to rock out, but this record just has no balls. Geez!

are you talking about two wheels bad?

Ah, Prefab's second full-length, and the one many consider to be their best. Me, I find it incredibly difficult to single out "the best" Prefab album; I think this one, "Swoon", "Protest Songs", and "Jordan" are all equally brilliant. This album was actually the first Prefab I ever bought, but it didn't really do it for me the first time, and being the poor college student I was, it didn't take much convincing for me to sell it a month later. I was much more into the jagged edges and white-knuckled jazz-pop of their first effort "Swoon". BUT, one song kept haunting me, wouldn't get out of my head, and I recorded it onto a mix tape before selling back the album. The song, "Bonny", seemed to perfectly embody what makes Paddy McCloon's writing so brilliant.
Like Brian Wilson, he can take two relatively simple chords, and shape a song around them in such a way as to achieve something so rich and sublime you'd think he'd have a small orchestra banging away behind him. But no, all he needs is a piano or guitar, a simple and snappy rhythm section, and his voice, to create some of the most melodic, catchy, and harmonically complex music in pop since Brian Wilson's legendary "Smile" sessions. It's like how Wilson's masterpiece tune "Surf's Up" did with one piano what others would need a ten piece ensemble to achieve. The piano part is so harmonically rich that the song doesn't need anything else - it's all covered on the piano. Paddy proves equally adept at this.

yeah, whatever. They USED to be deadly, but they're no aztec camera, or savage garden for that matter. They're even worse than CAP PAS CAP!!

HOT-FUCKIN'-DOG JUMPIN'-FUCKIN'-FRENCHMAN!!! ALL SPROUTS ARE SHITE!!!! THE HARD ROCK WORLD'S VEGETABLE NEMISIS. IN FACT MOST VEGETABLES ARE CRAP.. EXCEPT FOR TIMMY AND MOST PEOPLES RELATIONS WHO ARE IN SUCH A STATE. OH SWEET SWEET ROCK OF AGES... FLATTEN MY (guitar solo) NEIGHBOURS SPROUTS COZ' THEY GET ME DOOWWWNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnaaaaAAAAHHHHH!!!! ALLAHQUANDO!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back