Pots - how much difference do they make (1 Viewer)

mark

M&S Wine Gums FTW
@moose et al - I have a relatively cheap Korean guitar that I'm upgrading. The pickups are off getting sorted out, and while they're gone I was thinking of throwing some CTS pots into the guitar. Is this a worthwhile exercise? How how much difference will they actually make?

Do you use the pots much? That's the main thing. A value of resistance is a value of resistance so it's more about how long they'll last and how they feel/sound as you roll them down (or up as the case may be). Stuff like CTS premium and the high end Bourns and Alpha pots will generally have custom tapers specifically for guitar use.

All said I generally use CTS as people recognise the name and are happy to pay for them along with the smooth action and useful taper on them. If I'm doing my own stuff I'll use the high end Alphas as they're cheaper and I'm not a big pot fiddler. At least I wasn't til I got the strat..

Do you use the pots much? That's the main thing. A value of resistance is a value of resistance so it's more about how long they'll last and how they feel/sound as you roll them down (or up as the case may be). Stuff like CTS premium and the high end Bourns and Alpha pots will generally have custom tapers specifically for guitar use.

All said I generally use CTS as people recognise the name and are happy to pay for them along with the smooth action and useful taper on them. If I'm doing my own stuff I'll use the high end Alphas as they're cheaper and I'm not a big pot fiddler. At least I wasn't til I got the strat..

I'm increasingly using the pots actualy, tone and volume. So it sounds like I should go ahead and get 'em so.

Alphas you say? You rate them as good as the CTS for less money?

Last edited:
A lot. It lives beside at the desk here and I've got three tunes out of it since Christmas. Wouldn't mind upgrading pickups at some stage but no hurry on it.

@moose Went ahead and got em, thanks for the tip. Banzai is great. That's by far the cheapest I've seen CTS pots going for.

I buy a lot of parts off them and yeah I've seen CTS for twice their prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back