• Watchers 6

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
So how are we all feeling about non-essential travel? I’m seeing some crazy low European flight prices in August, and I have to admit it’s tempting....

Well Uncle travelling matt (unsurprisingly) wants to go to france in july. Of course he'd this half booked before I was consulted, which has morphed into 'oh i'll self isolate in the garage when I get back' - the garage being pretty much habitable but of course with barely a word *someone* is expected to convert it for livability in about 3 weeks.

So far not feeling great about it.

So how are we all feeling about non-essential travel? I’m seeing some crazy low European flight prices in August, and I have to admit it’s tempting....
I feel absolutely fine about it - except for the usual guilt I have about flying - wash your hands, wear a mask and stay frosty
I have a massive hankering to get back to the desert

I am looking at doing more local (driving distance) traveling though

Don't y'all have massive restrictions though?
2 weeks quarantine either side of everything?

Not sure I can consider risking being iso'd at either end myself for another while anywhooo. Have tenuously pencilled in cycling in spain or similar around november.

A gig I was planning to attend in Berlin has been rescheduled for September, I wanna go but I dunno. Other than that I'm gonna just wait til next year for overseas travel and see how things are then. Aer Lingus still haven't sent me the vouchers for the flight they cancelled. If they think I'm going to forget to follow up on that then they could well be right.

A gig I was planning to attend in Berlin has been rescheduled for September, I wanna go but I dunno. Other than that I'm gonna just wait til next year for overseas travel and see how things are then. Aer Lingus still haven't sent me the vouchers for the flight they cancelled. If they think I'm going to forget to follow up on that then they could well be right.
If anyone is going to be in Berlin last week in August, I will very likely have some Pokey LaFarge tickets going for free

I'd be fine about it but worried about my job so trying not to spend any money. I'm going to try to get over to Ireland in September if the 14 day quarantining is done by then.

Depends on where I suppose traveling to one of the smaller airports might be safer and then go hiking and camping outdoors instead of visiting a city maybe possible. Which might not make much difference.

Last edited:
will travel as soon as the 2 week quarantine requirement in other countries is lifted. Hopefully by early August at the latest. Have an apartment where the missus is from so we'll go base ourselves there for a month or 2, for the change of scenery.

the lists of entry that euro countries have been encouraged to do will effect my outlook. like Ireland isn't on spains list so far, probably be cause we were shit at quarantining.

only thing we've planned is a trip to clonakilty at the end of july. was a larger booking some friends had made, included family of theirs flying in but the overseas family have cancelled, so we'll go with our friends instead.

There are discussions going on at the moment, nationally and at a European level, about what air travel will look like when it does start up again. It's not going to be pretty, or very comfortable. Travellers only at airports, mandatory face coverings, social distancing, no facilities that might encourage queueing (toilets, food, shopping) no moving around on the plane, possibly no food or drink on flights either. Not finalised but I don't think I will want to fly anywhere until it is a whole lot more normal than that.

There are discussions going on at the moment, nationally and at a European level, about what air travel will look like when it does start up again. It's not going to be pretty, or very comfortable. Travellers only at airports, mandatory face coverings, social distancing, no facilities that might encourage queueing (toilets, food, shopping) no moving around on the plane, possibly no food or drink on flights either. Not finalised but I don't think I will want to fly anywhere until it is a whole lot more normal than that.
Well that sounds hellish!

I also understand that when things even out flights will soon in fact become very expensive, as the price to fly a plane remains the same but with a third of the number of people on it.

I also understand that when things even out flights will soon in fact become very expensive, as the price to fly a plane remains the same but with a third of the number of people on it.
that won't happen though. Ryanair have already said they'd refuse to resume services if they are forced to leave seats free.

Something a bit more sensible would be to compartmentalise the cabin. Have 2 or 3 distinct sections. That way, if someone did have covid, the exposure and resulting contact tracing required, would be lessened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back