post apocalyptic/dystopian films (1 Viewer)

#

No way!! Event Horizon rocks!!!

Awesome list there tho - a good few I havent heard of/seen. I'll have to check'em out. Sweet.

Yes, I agree re Event Horizon. "Liberate tutame ex infernis".

Seems strange to lump dystopian and post-apocalyptic movies together. I think the list is more futuristic movies. Would like to check out some of them though.

#

No way!! Event Horizon rocks!!!

Awesome list there tho - a good few I havent heard of/seen. I'll have to check'em out. Sweet.

nice story idea, but i fucking haaaate sam neill. he should stick to dino hunting.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spUhWp2MNzM"]YouTube - 28 MONTHS LATER TRAILER[/ame]

liked the first two... don't let me down

Miracle Mile is amazing. I only saw it recently. I wasn't aware it had a precedent. There's also Panic In The Year Zero, which has one of the greatest film titles ever.
I think the problem with This Is Not A Test is the quality of the transfer. I think a cleaned up copy with cleaned up A/V would be more watchable.

Miracle Mile is amazing. I only saw it recently. I wasn't aware it had a precedent. There's also Panic In The Year Zero, which has one of the greatest film titles ever.
I think the problem with This Is Not A Test is the quality of the transfer. I think a cleaned up copy with cleaned up A/V would be more watchable.

Yeah I have the DVD of it from AlphaVideo who are not known for their sterling transfers..

Panic in the Year zero is class too.

Zero population Growth is a stange one - very Brave New World and Stars Olly Reed.

I just finished reading Warday by Whitley Strieber and another lad. It's a pretty good read. It's fictional reportage from a post-nuclear United States. It's set in 1993 with the war having taken place one afternoon in 1988.

Here is Michael Moorcocks favorite dystopias

The best dystopias

Michael Moorcock
The Guardian, Thursday 22 January 2009

George Orwell: Nineteen Eighty-four (1949)
Ray Bradbury: Fahrenheit 451 (1953)
Frederik Pohl & CM Kornbluth: The Space Merchants (1953)
Angus Wilson: The Old Men at the Zoo (1961)
Thomas M Disch: Camp Concentration (1968)
Margaret Atwood: The Handmaid's Tale (1985)
Joanna Russ: The Female Man (1975)

A dystopia, being the opposite of a utopia, must describe a whole society that has degenerated into something fundamentally nasty, as in Aldous Huxley's Brave New World (1932). While I prefer Rex Warner's subtle dystopia The Aerodrome (1941), in which the glamorous Airmen run a state presenting itself via a "folkish" England of village cricket and vicarage fetes, Nineteen Eighty-four remains the world's favourite dystopia. This iconic allegory of the authoritarian state introduced dozens of words and phrases into our language and deserves its benchmark status.

Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 is not, as JG Ballard once complained, the temperature at which book paper burns, but it continues to get its message across: the state, fearing an educated citizenry, employs "firemen" whose job is to hunt down readers and confiscate and burn their precious stores of books. "Book-keepers", like Soviet poets, commit whole books to memory. The novel was first serialised in HL Gold's Galaxy magazine, which favoured dystopias and also published The Space Merchants. An influence on Galaxy regular Philip K Dick, Pohl and Kornbluth's book shows big business running society with scarcely even a pretence of democracy. Advertising companies are in control. The protaganist's job is to sell the colonisation of inhospitable Venus to a thoroughly deceived, overpopulated planet.

Angus Wilson's The Old Men at the Zoo offers a dystopia in which the English civil service and other institutions, represented by Regent's Park Zoo, provide the rationale for a gradual descent into fascism, again playing on the worst elements of English nostalgia. As a former civil servant and director of London Zoo, Wilson knew what he was talking about. Seven years later, Thomas M Disch's Camp Concentration presents the US prosecuting an unjust war against most of the planet, using germ warfare and other similarly immoral methods. In a Guantánamo-style prison camp, inmates are injected with a type of syphilis to see if human intelligence can be increased to genius level. This beautifully written vision of hell, full of literary references, is science fiction at its best.

Margaret Atwood denies that The Handmaid's Tale is science fiction, I suspect because, like several others, she has unconsciously reinvented certain familiar SF tropes to serve her purpose. The novel is a fine feminist dystopia in which fertile women become sex slaves in a male-run, pseudo-Christian US now known as Gilead. It's almost as original and powerful as Joanna Russ's The Female Man, which has a strong dystopian element but was published as SF and therefore marginalised by the general public. Who needs "firemen" or Big Brother when you can make books invisible?

• Michael Moorcock was editor of New Worlds. His most recent book is The Metatemporal Detective (Prometheus)

Related information 1000 novels everyone must read
guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2009

They're books of course. I've only read Fahrenheit 451 and The Old Men At The Zoo, both of which I liked, particularly the latter. I didn't realise this margaret atwood chick was cool until someone told me so last week. Has anyone read any of her books?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back