Pop Punk 2021 (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
A white man whining about high school, his mediocre hometown or a faceless girl: that is what most people picture when they think of pop punk. In the 90s and 00s, all-male bands such as Green Day, Blink-182, New Found Glory and Sum 41 ruled the charts, looking like Jackass extras in Dickies pants and wallet chains and sounding – albeit mildly – like rebellion. Now, though, a diverse group of women are emerging who have kept the genre’s sense of belligerence and fun, but are developing it to create something youthful that also has a quality those older bands eschewed – emotional maturity.

In the 90s and 00s, all-male bands such as Green Day, Blink-182, New Found Glory and Sum 41 ruled the charts

This bit is doing a lot of work here. Leaving aside the ERASURE OF BLACKNESS in regards Sum 41, leaving aside Green Day and Blink 182 being totally different generations... most people who didn't go deeper than Green Day or Blink-182 threw them in the same 'alt-rock' basket as No Doubt, Garbage, and Skunk Anansie. And if you did go deeper you were probably listening to the Donnas.

But yeah, Will Smith's daughter is really leading the way, sure why not, she can afford to.

Finn McKenty has that starved, baldie hardcore look, down.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
even the articles fashion magazines did on Riot Girl circa 1992/93 weren't this bad.
California style poop punk has been awful since the 80's
I can't imagine anyone under 35 not wanting to rebel AGAINST it. it's been mainstream pop for over 25 years. I do like melodic punk but not this crap.

Have to say, I always enjoy his videos whenever I watch them. He did a great one on Straight Edge

Yeah,he makes good vidz. I find the endless micro, sub genre names & constant references to American consumerism a bit annoying, but otherwise, decent. That's his thing I suppose. I can't say I have much interest in most of the bands he talks about, but at least I know who they are now.

Last edited:

considerably more informative than that article, I have to say.

Yeah,he makes good vidz. I find the endless micro, sub genre names & constant references to American consumerism a bit annoying, but otherwise, decent. That's his thing I suppose. I can't say I have much interest in most of the bands he talks about, but at least I know who they are now.
Same, wouldn’t have huge interest in some of the bands he’s talking about but he manages to make them interesting. Like he had one video talking about why Five Finger Death Punch are so hated and it sounds like it would be terrible but it managed to take in American politics and the class system over there and was a really enjoyable watch. Same with his video about Straight Edge

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back