Playing records at the wrong speed (1 Viewer)

dunderhead

just realised (after playing that new burial/four tet track at 33 a few times over the weekend) that it should be played at 45.
Love the 33 sound. kind of gutted. although on second listen at 45, sounding alright.

this has happened the odd time over the years. more often than not i'm disappointed with the 'real' version after ingraining the wrong speed in my brain

poor me ha?

this happened to me recently too, with one of richard youngs's recent records. it was a 12 inch vinyl with no mention of the correct rpm anywhere on the record or packaging. i also don't think it would hurt to make it clear which is side a and side b, i hate having to peer at the run off grove to see see if there are any clues etched there

It should be mandatory to have the speed on the label.

agreed. listened to a hype williams EP on vinyl for a week or two a while back. downloaded the album to throw on my mp3 player = what the hell is this?

Godspeed's Slow Riot EP is 45 on one side and 33 on the other, I never noticed that one side was played at 45. Sounded class at 33.

Also did it with Tindersticks Falling Down a Mountain, only realised it when the vocals kicked in. Also sounded class.

Once this kicks off it sounds like a lesser known grunge band covering Kim Carnes

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I posted it on Youtube years ago, and about once a year get an angry message from a Cure fan. Hooray!

i keep getting to the last tune on this (side 1) before i realise it's on 33 and should be on 45. sounds fantastic at both speeds. you only get the feeling it's wrong when the first vocal comes in on the last tune:

R-11154139-1510855845-1149.jpeg.jpg

Did this with Metal Box when I bought it first. Vocals kind of sounded like the ex Arsenal footballer/current commentator Alan Smith warbling through a wind tunnel. Pretty cool.

Also did it with xbxrx's 'Sixth in Sixes' which should sound like this:

It was a 12" intended to be played at 45rpm. One of those records I bought at the gig but didn't really play properly until jesus, at least 12 years after that gig. Again I was like, "liking these gnarly hardcore vocals." Sounds good either way.

Also this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back