Playing in cover bands.... (1 Viewer)

It's a strange thing, but the average joe non music nerd punter really does want to hear the same old songs....dissapointing. I suppose it's true of any place really, a metal club, indie club whatever, when the old classics are played the atmosphere changes...for the better.

Add 500 miles to that set.

I was just about to say something similar

I rarely go to weddings but I know that for some people it's a regular thing and they really enjoy them. They have an expectation of having the crack, hearing songs they know and can sing along to, songs they can sing with the band if they so desire.
My current band still gets inquiries about playing weddings, because they want "something different" , "something cooler than the usual thing". We found that for most weddings no matter what the bride and groom want, the crowd absolutely do not want something 'different', usually because the crowd is composed of extended family and work colleagues that, unsurprisingly don't share the couple's musical tastes.

Yeah but fuck them. Weddings are about what the bride and groom want to hear and everyone else can piss off. We got Female Hercules to play at our wedding. It was great!

Yeah but fuck them. Weddings are about what the bride and groom want to hear and everyone else can piss off.

I agree to an extent

I've played a few where the 'audience' went along with it because it was the bride and groom's day and it was great, but I've played a couple where they just sat there looking bored and pissed off because they didn't know any of the songs and it was soul destroying. It was also a bit insulting to the couple now I think of it.
But it's not about them, it's about me!!

A guy I know plays in a busy covers band and they're turning down gigs these day because it's not worth it. The tax man caught up with them and now it isn't worth their while doing pub gigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back