Playing in cover bands.... (1 Viewer)

Kermit McDermott

Just wondering people thoughts, experiences on playing in cover bands. Coming from playing in original bands it's still a bit....shameful. I've played in cover bands and still don't consider them to be real bands.
Are you at that point.. or is it a case of give me the money I don't give a fuck anymore......................

No band names necessary, lets preserve what little dignity we have left.

Yes it's a shame that will never wash off

It pays well but it's generally an awful experience

Everyone wanted to hear "The Galway Girl"

shudder

i want 10%

Fucking David Geffen over here. 8 and you have a deal.

Ask your mate if he's interested. I can play lead, acoustic, bass, I've a Korg R-3 keyboard and an old drum machine. And a decent mic and mic stand. I live in East Wall.
And I'm not a time-waster. (Except when it's my own or my boss' time)

My missus' brother plays in a covers band in Galway and makes a heap.

I was in a Johnny Cash tribute band ( quiet you). We had matching suits, bootlace ties, the whole country and western look. We were billed as a Johnny Cash Tribute band, playing the music of Johnny Cash with a Johnny Cash impersonator as a singer.

We did a couple of weddings, singer would walk on and do the "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash " line, we'd break into Folsom Prison blues..... and every fucking time we'd get " play the Galway Girl", " Play Tina Turner", " my boyfriend always sings 'Angels' so you'll have to play that"

And so people would think we were shite or stuck up because we wouldn't play their requests so they'd sit there looking bored until the DJ came on to play Abba and allow them to dance around their handbags

A few went very well in fairness, and the money was very good but it was such a pain in the hole we stopped doing it.

So, basically to be a successful covers band or wedding band you need to forget about music you actually like and just give the punters what they want; a live version of a chart hits mix tape

anyone who says there is any shame or anything like it in being in a covers band is a raging asshole.

I was trying to approach the subject delicatley knowing that the muso's on thumped are real artistes who only playing music they're wrote by themselves and stuff.

If I was a musician/artist like Miles Davis or something then it would break my heart and crush my soul to have to play Yakety Sax at weddings but I'm not so if it pays well I'll do it

well, actually no weddings...never again

I've never been in a "real" covers band i.e. one that people would actually pay to play at their wedding, though I have done a fair bit of playing covers with various people over the last few years. It can be tremendous fun. I also think there is a lot of value in being forced to learn how to play other people's songs/riffs/parts/styles whatever. It really makes you a better musician because you are shoved out of your normal way of doing things and you have to pick up new shit all the time (sometimes very quickly).

For example, I learned how to play finger-style "country" bass last year (you know ... the kind of thing one would need for a Johnny Cash band) in a couple of days last year for a gig.

I dunno about playing at weddings and having people shouting for Galway Girl though. The money would have to be really good. However, I do hold out hope that there is someone out there who would want a Guided By Voices covers band at their wedding ..... (unfortunately that someone is probably me and I'm already married)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back