6 - The West Coast of Claire - 5:34
7 - The Jolly Beggar / Reel - 4:23
8 - Only Our Rivers - 4:06
9 - Sí Bheag, Sí Mhór - 3:34
10 - Follow Me Up to Carlow - 2:21
11 - Merrily Kissed the Quaker - 2:41
12 - The Blacksmith - 4:09

Overview:
"Planxty" is the first album by the Irish folk group Planxty, released in early 1973 on the Polydor label. Because of its dark cover, it is sometimes referred to as "the Black Album." Author Leagues O'Toole has written that the album "crystallises the 1972 set" performed live by the band during their first year of touring.
The album features a variety of traditional and modern Irish folk songs and tunes. It was influential in popularising this genre. The last track revealed the impact of Balkan folk music on mandolinist Andy Irvine. The traditional song "The Blacksmith" concludes with Irvine playing "Blacksmithereens", a tune reflecting the influences he gathered during his travels in Eastern
Although Planxty is nominally the first album by the band, all four members performed together on Christy Moore's previous album Prosperous, which opened with the same track, "Raggle Taggle Gypsy/Tabhair dom do Lámh". An earlier recording of "Sí Bheag, Sí Mhór" had been included as a b-side to Planxty's first single, "Three Drunken Maidens".
Recordings completed during the sessions but excluded from the album were new versions of the singles "Three Drunken Maidens" and "The Cliffs of Dooneen", as well as "When First unto this Country" (sung by Lunny) and the traditional Southern Appalachian song "Down In The Valley" featuring all members of the band, including O'Flynn on vocal harmonies.The latter track has since been released on Christy Moore's 2004 box set.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

WHOPPER!!!

Shit I still havent played Fugazi yet..but I will...I was sick

But this is going on the earbuds for a woody walk with the dog tomorrow

I'm into this. Those Christy Moore tapes in the car being driven around the arse end of Ireland have left their mark.

'cold blow and the rainy night' is pretty mucha desert island disk for me, though i'll see if I can get some tome with this at the weekend.

I don't know this album as well as I should because whenever I sit down to listen to it I just listen to the first track over and over again it's so great. That bit in the middle when they shift from one tune to the other is just marvellous.

I don't know this album as well as I should because whenever I sit down to listen to it I just listen to the first track over and over again it's so great. That bit in the middle when they shift from one tune to the other is just marvellous.
Either piece on its own is a great tune but that transition is absolute magic.

Ok. never been a big trad head but will listen with an open mind.

I would be the same. Totally acknowledge the musicianship, tunes, ect...but have yet to develop much of an interest in trad/ballads. The cover had me thinking me of.........
Queen_Queen.png

except its the wrong way around, and a different color, but apart from that....

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back