Pink Floyd (1 Viewer)

I love pink floyd. David gilmours' beautiful tasteful solos haunt me.i spent my teenage years listening to them. I don't own any albums cos they're ingrained in my memory from hanging out with my mates. But the thought of Gary kemp playing with nick mason...isn't that worthy of a raised eyebrow?
Did you ever do Dark Side on acid? That was the thing round our way. I wish I had done it before I got sense :cry:

Yeah, but sure what harm can he do at this point, it's only Nick Mason. I'm glad he finally found some band to drum with

I think Mason qualifies as The Luckiest Man In Rock. His drumming is so bleakly unimaginative and lifeless. I mean...the stuff they had going on, and he's in the background, flat as a pancake, plodding doggedly on, oblivious to the opportunities flying past his ears. He must be really sound or something. (Not a Floyd diss...just never liked Mason as a drummer)

I think Mason qualifies as The Luckiest Man In Rock. His drumming is so bleakly unimaginative and lifeless. I mean...the stuff they had going on, and he's in the background, flat as a pancake, plodding doggedly on, oblivious to the opportunities flying past his ears. He must be really sound or something. (Not a Floyd diss...just never liked Mason as a drummer)

I know what you mean but I really like his drumming, particularly from around DSOTM on when he started tone it down and get more minimal. There are places where the music reaches a point where most drummers would probably do some kind of fill or fancy bit - the turn of a verse or something - whereas he virtually stops playing altogether and waits for the next bar to start the minimal/unobtrusive beat again.

Did you ever do Dark Side on acid? That was the thing round our way. I wish I had done it before I got sense :cry:

really? what about Saucerful of Secrets? I always thought he seemed class, but then was somewhat surplus to requirements from around '73 on.

I love pink floyd. David gilmours' beautiful tasteful solos haunt me.i spent my teenage years listening to them. I don't own any albums cos they're ingrained in my memory from hanging out with my mates. But the thought of Gary kemp playing with nick mason...isn't that worthy of a raised eyebrow?
2:30? yeah.. I was pretty drunk

really? what about Saucerful of Secrets? I always thought he seemed class, but then was somewhat surplus to requirements from around '73 on.
You're right, he's better - and seems more musically integrated - on that album. Doing good work, and not getting in the way...what a band member should be. Like Phil Selway maybe?

I know what you mean but I really like his drumming, particularly from around DSOTM on when he started tone it down and get more minimal.
It's exactly here that the rot sets in for me. To me, the grooves and fills are unimaginative and repetitive (in a bad way). And yet it somehow manages to seem overworked too - these simple but somehow fussy little breaks all over the place. Totally agree that the minimal approach is the right one from Dark Side on. I think Mason is just musically out of his depth. I have to tune him out when I'm listening to that era of Floyd

I had a listen to this new Roger Waters album a couple of times at the weekend but I wasn't giving it 100% attention and lost the thread of the story. It seems more like a radio play that you'd listen to once than an album you could return to. I doubt I'll be returning to it except for maybe once more

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Would you be a fan of any of their later stuff?
I used to be. We're talking the post-Roger Waters years, and I was always more Waters than Gilmour. I liked A Momentary Lapse of Reason when it first came out. Actually, I heard Delicate Sound of Thunder before I'd heard that, and was kind of blown away by it. The album version of those songs weren't nearly as good, and now I can't really listen to either.

I never liked Division Bell, apart from High Hopes and Marooned, and couldn't make it through a full listen to that out-takes thing from a few years ago.

I wanna find the track listing for this. I'm thinking they might have 37 versions of the same song, or the same song live from 15 different venues. Can't imagine how else they'll fill that much space.

£400 seems a bit much for a load of shite, I'll be getting it for free on the torrents. I might listen to the unreleased stuff as long as it's not the La Carrera Panamericana soundtrack.

This era of pf is the one I first signed up to as they were out and about touring and turning up on tv for hours on end (live in Venice, live at knebworth) and i thought it was great at the time but it was fairly shite. A few good songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back